Author Topic: Is weight gain after 45 inevitable?  (Read 1884 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Is weight gain after 45 inevitable?
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:01:41 AM »
I hope this isn't a heated or controversial topic, but I really just want to chat about this.

I'm 47, and have been reasonably trim and fit (though curvy) most of my life, but in the last two years, man oh man, WHY is it suddenly so difficult to keep the weight off? Despite my best efforts, it's been creeping up and up steadily and methods that have worked just fine in the past no longer work at all!

I'd just like to lose the 10 pounds I've gained in the last 3-5 years but they won't budge!! I can't even shift ONE of those pounds, at least, not without it coming right back as soon as I glance away for a moment.

I won't get into exactly what I eat at the moment, as everyone has opinions on what works and what doesn't, but I'll just say that what I consider a healthy diet has always worked for me. Any time I saw my weight creeping up after some period of unhealthy eating or inactivity, I'd go back to what has always worked for me (OK little to no sugar/refined carbs, lots of vegetables and fruit, minimal meat, regular and often heavy exercise, as a permanent lifestyle thing and not a "diet") and it worked. Now I do all that and the weight still just comes and comes. I bought a larger pair of jeans last year and now I'm bulging out of those, and I no longer go in at the waist. When I exercise I feel it's harder to move my body at the pace I used to be capable of.

My mother says, "You can't have a girlish figure forever" but I want to fight this whole middle-aged spread thing!!  When I was 40-43 I was in great shape and feeling a little smug about knowing how to keep weight off when I wanted to, and thinking everyone who said "you tend to gain weight as you get older" just didn't know enough about proper eating, or got too lazy to exercise, but it's happening to me now, and I am no longer smug.

I don't expect to look 20 years old again or model-thin, but can I please just have my waist back and quit busting out of all my clothes? Is this possible after 45? 10 lb doesn't sound like a lot to lose, but I just don't understand why I can't even shift ONE of those pounds!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Is weight gain after 45 inevitable?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:20:30 AM »

I can't speak for 45; I'll be 40 in September. I'd guess everyone's situation is different. I didn't have a hint of a curve until i was in my twenties. Around 28 was the 1st time i noticed the bounce in my walk had some belly to it. I still don't have a flat stomach and probably won't for a while. I'm kind of lazy, and my bit of chunk amuses me a little; and it is really easy for me to drop 10 or 15 pounds with minimal effort. I doubt I will ever weigh less than i did at 30.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

judecat

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:34:55 AM »
I've found that after 40 or so,  and definetly after menipause,  your metabalism slows down,  where as before you needed 2000 calories to maintain,  you might only need 1800 calories now.  And the excersise you used to do gets harder,  so you might need to find another way to burn the calories.  So it's not inevitable if you adjust your life style a bit.  I'm keeping my weight near what it was at age 40 by walking a mile (sometimes 2) miles a day -- not voluntary excersise,  but I live a mile from the bus stop,  and I do have to get to work.  Some days I get a ride home,  other times I have to do that mile in reverse.  I will be 60 in a few months.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »
So it's not inevitable if you adjust your life style a bit.

This.  I turn 40 this year and I have to work harder now than I did at 20 to maintain the level of fitness (and yes, appearance) I wish to maintain.  My BF turns 48 this year and says the same thing.  So does my mom (age 68).  We all are fit and can wear the same size we did when we were much younger.  We can either accept that we need to work harder (or perhaps just live differently) and make those changes, or we can lament that what worked in the past no longer cuts it, but only the first option will get us anywhere productive.

You can do it, OP, if it is important to you!

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:41:52 AM »
The weight started creeping up for me after 40. I was up 20 by 45, up 30 by 46.  Last fall, I downloaded MyFitnessPal on my smart phone and started logging every single calorie. It was an eye opener for me.  I was taking in a lot more calories than I thought I was.  I adjusted my calorie intake, upped my exercise and just this week hit the -30 pound mark.

So for me, it's not impossible.  But it is harder.  I don't have the muscle tone I did at 30.  My metabolism seems slower.  My knees don't care for high impact exercise, so I have to find other options.

Be kind to yourself.  Our bodies do change with age, and what works for one person may not work for the next.  I hope you find something that works for you.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »
I've wondered about this for years.

I've noticed that every women over 40 I've seen has a rounded tummy. The skinniest woman will be thin everywhere else, but would still have a slightly rounded tummy.

For my own situation, it's my own fault because of an inability to say no to jelly beans and Vienna Fingers cookies and not wanting to exercise.  :-[

crella

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
It's hit me in the last 3 years, and I'll be 55 this year. On a low-carb diet and lifting twice a week, a still gained weight. I'm a bit discouraged, but am going to try and shake things up a bit from this month.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »
No. I weigh less now (at 49) than I did several years ago.

That said, most people's metabolisms slow down with age, and it might not be worth the effort to lose those ten pounds, given that you're already eating a healthy diet and exercising (as distinct from being in a position where you want to exercise and/or reduce sodium in order to lower your blood pressure).
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »
I've noticed that every women over 40 I've seen has a rounded tummy.

I know a lot of women with flat tummies over 40! Even mothers! It's not inevitable, though totally "normal," to become more rounded as we age.  The women I know with flat tummies do put considerable effort into their fitness, though from what I can tell it is more of a "I enjoy running (or whatever their exercise of choice is) and eating well, and hey - cool that I get a flat tummy from it too!"

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »
I've managed to put on 20 pounds since September (job stress, job loss, and depression), and the weight will not bulge--but I am. I'm 50 (really? when the heck did that happen??!lol), and while I'll never be a size 6 again, I'd like to get rid of what I've picked up.
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 01:47:11 PM »
I am 51 y/o. I am a bit overweight, but on the tall side, so I don't look too bad. My body isn't perfect; I will never have the 20-hr-old physique again. But I am very active and healthy and can outwalk most people I know. I think that health should be the goal, whether you are skinny, average, or overweight. We obsess so much about our appearance. Life should be enjoyed. If Madison Avenue doesn't approve of my appearance they can stick it!  >:D

Shalamar

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »
I'm 48, and whereas my eating habits aren't great, they're not terrible either, and they haven't changed that much over the last few years - and yet the weight gain just kept coming.   I've gained 20-30 pounds since 2010.   I'm now on Weight Watchers and have lost 8.5 pounds since January, which is a start.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
I'm 48, and whereas my eating habits aren't great, they're not terrible either, and they haven't changed that much over the last few years - and yet the weight gain just kept coming.   I've gained 20-30 pounds since 2010.   I'm now on Weight Watchers and have lost 8.5 pounds since January, which is a start.

Good for you! WW is all about healthy lifestyle, which is good.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
It's not inevitable, but it will happen if you keep everything the same. There are physical changes, hormonal changes, that start to take place as you age. So doing all the same things will mean that you'll gain weight or at least lose definition. You can definitely fight it off, but you'll find that it's harder than before. If you mix things up and make changes in your diet and exercise, you'll still be able to fight off the middle-age spread. :)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
It's not inevitable, but it will happen if you keep everything the same. There are physical changes, hormonal changes, that start to take place as you age. So doing all the same things will mean that you'll gain weight or at least lose definition. You can definitely fight it off, but you'll find that it's harder than before. If you mix things up and make changes in your diet and exercise, you'll still be able to fight off the middle-age spread. :)

This.  I'm 47 and have been able to maintain my fitness and size by ramping up the exercise and really watching what I eat. It's a lot harder than it used to be, but still doable.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys