Author Topic: Is weight gain after 45 inevitable?  (Read 2291 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Is weight gain after 45 inevitable?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »
I've wondered about this for years.

I've noticed that every women over 40 I've seen has a rounded tummy. The skinniest woman will be thin everywhere else, but would still have a slightly rounded tummy.

For my own situation, it's my own fault because of an inability to say no to jelly beans and Vienna Fingers cookies and not wanting to exercise.  :-[

I think where weight is carried can change as a person gets older too, for hormonal reasons. The tummy might get more rounded but the butt flatter, for example.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
I'll be 45 in June.  I've noticed that, even though I haven't gained weight, I'm a little bigger around the middle and a little smaller through the butt.  Makes finding pants that fit a bit of a pain in the, well, butt.   :)

I've been having an issue with really craving carbs and sugar lately.  I'm trying really hard to fight it - gave up after my evening toast snack for Lent.  But it is really hard.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
I'm 48, and whereas my eating habits aren't great, they're not terrible either, and they haven't changed that much over the last few years - and yet the weight gain just kept coming.   I've gained 20-30 pounds since 2010.   I'm now on Weight Watchers and have lost 8.5 pounds since January, which is a start.

Me too! I just turned 47, and while my eating habits are fabulous, I can say that i haven't done anything drastically different in teh lats few years, but have put on about 15 lbs. While I don't eat as healthy as I could or should, i know I'm not eating any more than I was a couple years ago, yet the pounds just sort of showed up. I was fluffy before, but am not happy about the exttra-fluffiness I've acquired. Need to get going on something to combat that!

oops, I meant aren't fabulous. If they were, I wouldn't be as fluffy as I am!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:37:13 PM by siamesecat2965 »

Promise

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »
It's biological. As we are premenopausal, our hormones change. We do have to work harder to either keep our previous weight or to lose. The age might be at 40 and for others it might at 50 but generally you will notice that your belly will begin to be rounder. You won't have the tight abs that you used to. Now, it can stay flat with a lot of work, but the change does come with age. Just look at any woman who is 55. What does her tummy look like? Very very few will look like celebrities or fitness models. Just come to a place that you are a lovely woman no matter what your weight or shape. If your weight/shape defines you, then life will be sad and full of regret. Live for today and love you for the size that you are.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 08:51:47 PM »
It's biological. As we are premenopausal, our hormones change. We do have to work harder to either keep our previous weight or to lose. The age might be at 40 and for others it might at 50 but generally you will notice that your belly will begin to be rounder. You won't have the tight abs that you used to. Now, it can stay flat with a lot of work, but the change does come with age. Just look at any woman who is 55. What does her tummy look like? Very very few will look like celebrities or fitness models. Just come to a place that you are a lovely woman no matter what your weight or shape. If your weight/shape defines you, then life will be sad and full of regret. Live for today and love you for the size that you are.

Excellent post! The only thing I would add is that if you want to be ___, live your life to acheive ____, because you can.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
I can accept figure flaws but I really don't want the overall flab. Especially if it's planning to keep on piling on at the rate it's been going the last 3 years. A PP mentioned finding pants that fit - - YES!!!! I was walking around almost in rags there for a while because nothing fit. It's not just me being silly; they really didn't fit! I tried on every pair of pants in every store in every mall, and some second hand stores where I tried on EVERYTHING. I really was getting desperate to find something suitable for work (and skirts are not suitable for what I do). Other people who came shopping with me agreed they didn't fit, so it wasn't just me being hypercritical. The problem was that if they were big enough in the butt, they were too long in the torso and looked ridiculous. Obviously whoever decides on the cut of these things assumes that if your butt is that big, you must be really, really tall!! I never had this problem before. I finally found a vaguely acceptable pair of trousers and decided that the solution was to get rid of the excess I'd gained. But it suuuuure is more difficult now.

I have made changes and they don't seem to be enough. I've cut way back on alcoholic beverages (it was creeping up to the point of being unhealthy and perhaps becoming more habitual/dependant than I'd like) so now I only have wine if I'm out for a nice meal with friends (ie hardly ever). No sugary drinks whatsoever. My appetite is smaller and I'm fuller faster, so I believe I am eating less. I don't snack in the evenings. I used to bake in the evenings and devour a tray of brownies - there is no WAY I could do that now. I also used to go out and buy ice cream late at night and devour that - again, no WAY I could get away with it now, and I don't do it. And in my 20's I was known for my huge appetite. Not now. So my eating has slowed down to match my age. Interesting to hear that others have the same issue and that it's true you have to work much, MUCH harder to stay the same. I'd kind of just like my clothes to fit again, and for shopping for new ones not to be an exercise in futility.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 07:55:35 AM »
...and of course, don't forget a visit to your doctor to rule out health issues that cause weight gain.  ;)

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
I can accept figure flaws but I really don't want the overall flab. Especially if it's planning to keep on piling on at the rate it's been going the last 3 years. A PP mentioned finding pants that fit - - YES!!!! I was walking around almost in rags there for a while because nothing fit. It's not just me being silly; they really didn't fit! I tried on every pair of pants in every store in every mall, and some second hand stores where I tried on EVERYTHING. I really was getting desperate to find something suitable for work (and skirts are not suitable for what I do). Other people who came shopping with me agreed they didn't fit, so it wasn't just me being hypercritical. The problem was that if they were big enough in the butt, they were too long in the torso and looked ridiculous. Obviously whoever decides on the cut of these things assumes that if your butt is that big, you must be really, really tall!! I never had this problem before. I finally found a vaguely acceptable pair of trousers and decided that the solution was to get rid of the excess I'd gained. But it suuuuure is more difficult now.

I got this as well, but at MY store. I used to be able to walk in, pick up a pair of pants in x size, and they'd fit. regardless. Then they decided to get fancy and change the pant fit. So for the last 4 years, I haven't bought one pair of pants at my store, and my co-workers told me I was picky. Um no, but even with my discount, if they don't fit, I'm not buying/waering them. I did go back to Jones NY and found they fit quite nicely, for the most part. Some styles, not so much, but others like they were tailor-made for me.

peaches

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 11:38:54 AM »
I would say that weight gain isn't inevitable. But with each decade, it has been harder for me to keep it off.

Diabetes runs in my family, on both sides. I've seen what it can do to a person's health, and I'm determined to avoid it if I can. That's a big part of my motivation to watch my weight.

I've found that I have to exercise, along with watching what I eat. I can't keep the weight off without it. And my doctor says it's a big help in preventing diabetes.

Daquiri40

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »
I always remember an episode of "Oprah" I saw a long time ago.

They had a woman from her 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.  All were exercise fiends and ate healthy all of the time.  All were dressed in leotards.  It was like a progression chart - as all of the women as they were older - their middles were thicker and weight had shifted downward to stomachs and hips.  All of them.

It is inevitable.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »

They had a woman from her 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.  All were exercise fiends and ate healthy all of the time.  All were dressed in leotards.  It was like a progression chart - as all of the women as they were older - their middles were thicker and weight had shifted downward to stomachs and hips.  All of them.

It is inevitable.

What is inevitable?  That bodies will change over time?  Because it certainly is not true that weight gain after 45 is inevitable.  Sophia Loren, for example, remains beautiful and fit (at least the last time I saw a photo of her).  She doesn't look like she's 25 anymore, but she also isn't overweight. I guess it's apples to oranges.  My mom looks fantastic - she's 68.  She doesn't have the body she had at 25, but she certainly is fit and not overweight.

Daquiri40

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »
Okay, I didn't mean weight gain is inevitable - I meant your body changing is inevitable.

I have known incredibly fit women who are older.  They say they weigh the same they did at 25, but their bodies are totally different.

That's what I meant.  Really.   :)

heartmug

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
Over 50 here and yes it is so hard to keep the weight off!  But thanks for this thread.  I have picked up some good suggestions.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »

It is inevitable.

What is inevitable?  That bodies will change over time?  Because it certainly is not true that weight gain after 45 is inevitable.  Sophia Loren, for example, remains beautiful and fit (at least the last time I saw a photo of her).  She doesn't look like she's 25 anymore, but she also isn't overweight. I guess it's apples to oranges.  My mom looks fantastic - she's 68.  She doesn't have the body she had at 25, but she certainly is fit and not overweight.

Well, the question was weight gain, not overweightness. It's possible to be in the underweight or normal weight category, gain weight, and not become overweight even though you're larger than you once were. And no, it's not "inevitable" and perhaps we shouldn't use an absolute term, but it's very common, pretty normal, and difficult to avoid though not impossible.

And I do think it's almost inevitable that there will be changes in weight distribution and changes in how much work it takes to maintain a certain weight. You say in your own post that Loren's and your mother's bodies have changed. Just because they're not in the overweight category doesn't mean they look exactly the same as they did. It's also almost inevitable that our skin will change, and other things. Again, like weight, there are factors that can affect how much one's skin will change, like tanning, but it's impossible to stave off aging completely unless we all become vampires.  ;)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
Okay, I didn't mean weight gain is inevitable - I meant your body changing is inevitable.

I have known incredibly fit women who are older.  They say they weigh the same they did at 25, but their bodies are totally different.

That's what I meant.  Really.   :)

This.