Author Topic: Is weight gain after 45 inevitable?  (Read 2122 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: Is weight gain after 45 inevitable?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
Okay, I didn't mean weight gain is inevitable - I meant your body changing is inevitable.

I have known incredibly fit women who are older.  They say they weigh the same they did at 25, but their bodies are totally different.

That's what I meant.  Really.   :)

This.

Totally agreed!

Cami

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
For me, the weight gains seems inevitable as nothing I've done has removed the weight that came with menopause. Exercise, dietary changes... nothing made one bit of difference. My doctor told me that when she's had female patients like me -- weight started to appear around menopause -- that the only thing that really made a difference was 90 minutes of hard exercise 7 days a week. I tried that for a while and really racked up my knees, so that's over. Plus, I didn't lose any weight! So I jacked up my knees, possibly permanently, to try and lose weight. Not worth it.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »
I really think that when there's a choice to be made between drastically upping one's exercise and gaining small amounts of weight, it becomes a quality of life issue and only each person can make that decision for themselves.

Hypothetical. Let's say I'm a woman going through menopause and I weigh 130. I (hypothetical imaginary I) exercise an hour a day. Now, suddenly, to maintain a weight of 130, I have to exercise five hours a day instead of one. If I don't do that, I go up to 140. So, do I give up four hours of whatever hobbies I enjoy, or do I just say to myself, "You know what? I'm 140 now and I'm OK with that."

TurtleDove, I think some of the disconnect here is that you are a person for whom exercise is your hobby. It's your passion. It gives you more joy that anything else on earth. And that's great! We all need something to be passionate about. But for a lot of us, exercise is a grueling chore. There's an amount of it we're willing to do (just like any other chore, like the dishes), but we don't want to devote all our free time to it. You would almost certainly welcome four more hours of exercise in your day. To get an idea of what we're trying to say, imagine that someone comes up to you tomorrow and says, "By the way, TurtleDove, in order to keep looking exactly like you look today, you need to give up four hours of exercise every day, and spend those hours cleaning tile grout instead." (Substitute something else if you actually love cleaning tile grout! LOL!)

People are not all going to make the same choice when faced with the options of "gain a little weight" vs. "give up all of your free time." Because we value different things and have different priorities. And if someone has a little pang of "I like the decision I made, but I do sometimes miss my college bod," it doesn't mean we're uncomfortable with our decision on a deep, existential level. It's just human nature to be nostalgic sometimes, and to wonder about what other choices might have been like, in any area of life.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
I really think that when there's a choice to be made between drastically upping one's exercise and gaining small amounts of weight, it becomes a quality of life issue and only each person can make that decision for themselves.

Hypothetical. Let's say I'm a woman going through menopause and I weigh 130. I (hypothetical imaginary I) exercise an hour a day. Now, suddenly, to maintain a weight of 130, I have to exercise five hours a day instead of one. If I don't do that, I go up to 140. So, do I give up four hours of whatever hobbies I enjoy, or do I just say to myself, "You know what? I'm 140 now and I'm OK with that."

TurtleDove, I think some of the disconnect here is that you are a person for whom exercise is your hobby. It's your passion. It gives you more joy that anything else on earth. And that's great! We all need something to be passionate about. But for a lot of us, exercise is a grueling chore. There's an amount of it we're willing to do (just like any other chore, like the dishes), but we don't want to devote all our free time to it. You would almost certainly welcome four more hours of exercise in your day. To get an idea of what we're trying to say, imagine that someone comes up to you tomorrow and says, "By the way, TurtleDove, in order to keep looking exactly like you look today, you need to give up four hours of exercise every day, and spend those hours cleaning tile grout instead." (Substitute something else if you actually love cleaning tile grout! LOL!)

People are not all going to make the same choice when faced with the options of "gain a little weight" vs. "give up all of your free time." Because we value different things and have different priorities. And if someone has a little pang of "I like the decision I made, but I do sometimes miss my college bod," it doesn't mean we're uncomfortable with our decision on a deep, existential level. It's just human nature to be nostalgic sometimes, and to wonder about what other choices might have been like, in any area of life.

I am going to assume you didn't intend the snark in the bolded.  Exercise is among many hobbies and things I enjoy and am passionate about, and certainly not what gives me more joy than anything else on earth.  Addressing the rest of your post, nothing I posted in any way contradicts what you say about choices.  My point was that if you want to maintain your weight as you age, you certainly can.  It will likely be more challenging to do so as we age.  I answered the posed question, "Is weight gain after 45 inevitable" which what I know to be true: "No, it is not inevitable."

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »

I am going to assume you didn't intend the snark in the bolded.  Exercise is among many hobbies and things I enjoy and am passionate about, and certainly not what gives me more joy than anything else on earth.  Addressing the rest of your post, nothing I posted in any way contradicts what you say about choices.  My point was that if you want to maintain your weight as you age, you certainly can.  It will likely be more challenging to do so as we age.  I answered the posed question, "Is weight gain after 45 inevitable" which what I know to be true: "No, it is not inevitable."

No, I didn't mean it to be snarky at all.  :o It's just what I've observed by reading your posts. Your passion for exercise comes through your posts vividly, and (at least from the way i read it) it feels like the way I feel about reading, or the way my roommate feels about WWII history, or the way my mother feels about shoes. I love the way people light up when they're crazy about things.