Author Topic: That Shouldn't Have Happened, But Now I Am Glad It Did Stories....  (Read 3106 times)

Yarnspinner

Every now and then you see a story in which a bad thing happens followed by a very good result of the bad thing.  I heard two, one of the a while ago, the other one just this weekend and wanted to share.  But even more, I'd like to see if other people have similar stories.

1) My former boss at my previous job was on the phone with his daughter and when he finished up he said to me "That may be the best story I have ever heard."  [Not:  I had read a short story similar to this incident but had never, ever heard of it happening in real life.]

His daughter had been helping her friend move to an apartment in Chicago.  She and the rest of her friends had helped the moving friend (we'll call him Phillip because I like the name) and had carried up everything from his old, beat up clunker of a car except for the sound system he was going to install in the car.  When they went downstairs, the car (and the sound system) were gone.

Three weeks or so later (the day boss is telling me the story) Phillip got a call from the local police asking if he were Phillip X and was this his car's license plate?  Then they told him to go to the impound yard to retrieve his car.

He went...and didn't see his old car anywhere.  He signed the papers, paid and was astonished when the officer returned with a bright shiney new looking car.  "My car didn't have chrome, it didn't have those kinds of tires, it didn't have...."  "Yeah, it does now," said the officer, checking the vin number again. 

The thieves had had the new disc player installed and purchased better speakers than the one Phillip had.  They had got rid of the cracking leathery seats and replace it with new.  The leaky radiator was fixed, as was the undercarriage and a whole lot of other issues.  The ONLY way it was recognizeable due to the VIN.

So, Phillip got a whole new car for free and drove it happily for years. 

2) This happened recently.  My friends have cats, one of whom slips his collar and gets outside  He'll usually be back by morning.  This time when he did, he had a new collar with a tag hanging from it.  AND he'd beenn shaved.

Seems the cat is friends with one of the feral gangs in the neighborhood and the gang got busted this week by a society dedicated to getting ferals spayed, neutered as well as getting shots for them.  Apparently, since th cat likes to play with this crowd, he got caught in the raid.

My friend said her cat looked mad, but "Wow.  I don't have to take him for a rabies shot now.

So: other stories about such happenings?  I never believed in stuff like this happening, but I guess it does. 

Shalamar

Re: That Shouldn't Have Happened, But Now I Am Glad It Did Stories....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »
The cat was SHAVED?   :o.  I don't understand how that's a good thing ... ?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »
The cat was SHAVED?   :o.  I don't understand how that's a good thing ... ?

Should have clarified:  he was shaved because he'd been taken to the vet for neutering.

Shalamar

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »
Ohhhh, just part of him was shaved.   I gotcha.    I was picturing a poor naked shivering kitty. :)

Snooks

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:57:34 PM »
I've never heard of boy cats being shaved to be neutered.  What an insult to his manliness, not only had he been snipped once by your friend now these strangers are shaving him and trying to do it again.

sevenday

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
In the case of the shaved kitty, it can be hard to tell, without shaving a kitty, whether they are a neutered male or a spayed female! (Shaving exposes the old surgery scar)  - it's also why feral cats have their ears notched so they don't have to undergo the whole shave-and-check process once they've been through the "mill" once. 

alkira6

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »

I had an old chrystler 5th avenue car (land whale with horrible gas milage) in college.  I was rearended 3 times over the course of a week. Submitted estimates from local shops as well as reports of previous rear endings to 2 of them. Was paid 3 times for a bumper, paint stractches, and 2 days time off work (ie, payoff so I don't sue for the rear ending). Took the car home a  few weeks later to get it fixed by my cousin and he just buffed the scratches out and replaced the connector things for the bumper.  Total paid - $175, total from insurance companies - almost $3000.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:45:54 AM by alkira6 »

misha412

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »
I've never heard of boy cats being shaved to be neutered.  What an insult to his manliness, not only had he been snipped once by your friend now these strangers are shaving him and trying to do it again.

My boy was neutered in July last year...he was shaved for the procedure. Add a stump tail and it was.....interesting....to say the least.

Snooks

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 03:38:46 PM »
In the case of the shaved kitty, it can be hard to tell, without shaving a kitty, whether they are a neutered male or a spayed female! (Shaving exposes the old surgery scar)  - it's also why feral cats have their ears notched so they don't have to undergo the whole shave-and-check process once they've been through the "mill" once.

I had an old chrystler 5th avenue car (land whale with horrible gas milage) in college.  I was rearended 3 times over the course of a week. Submitted estimates from local shops as well as reports of previous rear endings to 2 of them. Was paid 3 times for a bumper, paint stractches, and 2 days time off work (ie, payoff so I don't sue for the rear ending). Took the car home a  few weeks later to get it fixed by my cousin and he just buffed the scratches out and replaced the connector things for the bumper.  Total paid - $175, total from insurance companies - almost $3000.

Isn't that insurance fraud?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »

How would it be fraud?  She actually did get hit three different times.  She told the other two that there had already been a previous rear ending(s).  She wasn't dishonest in any way.  Had she had the work done professionally, it would have apparently cost her that much to have her bumper fixed.  (Especially if she had had it done immediately after each incident.)

I think it's only fraud if you lie to the insurance companies.  She did not.

Minmom3

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »

Technically, the ear notch is so they can be released from the humane trap without being drugged and shaved at all.  What most shelters do these days is tatoo along side the incision so that in the event the cat DOES get anesthetized again, the tatoo shows up nicely.  Some spay scars are nearly invisible, and it's mighty frustrating to open a cat up to find nothing whatsoever!  I'm not sure where the tatoo goes on a male, but I know they get it somewhere.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
My criminal justice professor (a lawyer) told us a story about his youth.  He'd had a soft-top convertible, maybe a Corvette, stolen in Detroit.  It was in bad shape.  Bad radio, the top was white (maybe tan) and all dried and cracked, just a hunk.

It was stolen.  About 9 months later, he got a call.  It'd been found and he could come and get it.

Once he got there, he barely recognized it.  Completely fixed up.  A new black top put on.  An amazing new radio.  The only way he knew it was his was because he wrote his name on the bottom of the driver's seat.

Some drug dealer had completely fixed it up.  And he got to keep it.

Moonie

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
On a slightly different note. I was working at a bank for six years. I had just had a great performance review and gotten a small raise. This was back in the days where if you made $600 a month you were doing pretty good. Due to a mistake I made, I was called in to my supervisor's office and fired. I was absolutely devastated. I went to HR to fill out my exit paperwork, and the woman in charge felt sorry for me. She gave me the name of a woman who would call her for leads when she was looking for employees. I went the very next day to see the woman, and was basically hired on the spot. The best part was that I my starting pay would be $300 a month more than the job I just left. I started work three days later, and this coming October I will have been there 30 years!!!

alkira6

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
I had an old chrystler 5th avenue car (land whale with horrible gas milage) in college.  I was rearended 3 times over the course of a week. Submitted estimates from local shops as well as reports of previous rear endings to 2 of them. Was paid 3 times for a bumper, paint scratches, and 2 days time off work (IE, payoff so I don't sue for the rear ending). Took the car home a  few weeks later to get it fixed by my cousin and he just buffed the scratches out and replaced the connector things for the bumper.  Total paid - $175, total from insurance companies - almost $3000.

How would it be fraud?  She actually did get hit three different times.  She told the other two that there had already been a previous rear ending(s).  She wasn't dishonest in any way.  Had she had the work done professionally, it would have apparently cost her that much to have her bumper fixed.  (Especially if she had had it done immediately after each incident.)

I think it's only fraud if you lie to the insurance companies.  She did not.

Yeah, I actually asked about this when I was talking to the last two insurance companies.  They said that it was easier just to deal with it as an independent accident because of having to conference with 3 different insurance companies, the lawyers from each company, initial degree of damage, percent of damage due to each subsequent hit on the bumper, blah, blah, blah. So, the last two accidents were treated as a single isolated incident and was paid out as such.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »
Last July DH got laid off his job he's had for 8 years, a job that paid pretty well and we had good health insurance.   The upside was that they gave him a good severance package which helped us to make it until he got a new job.

Now the job he has now, he does have longer hours and the pay isn't quite as much as he was making before, but he gets tips, which helps, and he enjoys the work more, it's helped him lose weight, which he struggled with in the past few years, and the boss appreciates his hard work a lot more than the last job ever did.   DH has a great work ethic, and it's nice that he's recognized for it not only by the boss, but by the clients, some who have emailed the company to praise his work and say they'd recommend the company to their friends. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata