Author Topic: That Shouldn't Have Happened, But Now I Am Glad It Did Stories....  (Read 3547 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: That Shouldn't Have Happened, But Now I Am Glad It Did Stories....
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
This happened to my sister.  Several departments of her company were being outsourced and the employees will be out of jobs in 2 or 3 months.  Everyone was scrambling to interview for jobs in the customer service department who is always hiring.  She applied but was turned down.  She was very hurt because she was with the company longer than most and was watching a lot of her coworkers getting hired over her.  When the time came closer, the company suddenly announced the soon-to-be former employees will be getting a good package.  She wouldn't have gotten the package if she had been hired into another department.  The best part is she later got hired into a department that doesn't deal with customers so she got both a package and an easier job.  Boy, were the employees who got hired early mad at the company because they didn't get a package since they are still employed by the company (they were already in their new jobs).

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »
I was also let go from a job and I always say it was one of the best things that ever happened.  I hated my job and it allowed me to think about what I really wanted to do.  I found a new job in my preferred field a few weeks later and have been here for nearly 10 years.

So...how do I go about getting our jalopy stolen?  It needs new tires, shocks and a good detailing.   :P

Shalamar

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »
I was absolutely miserable at my old job.  It paid well, but the economy was going through a slump, and I had been "on the bench" (i.e. without work) for several months.  I know that probably sounds like a dream come true - to get paid for not working - but believe me, it's not all it's cracked up to be.  For starters, the powers that be kept pressuring me to take an out-of-town assignment.  I kept refusing, because my daughers were only 8 and 6 at the time, and I didn't want to leave them. 

Not only that, but I didn't have any friends at that job.  I often "joked" that I could get hit by a bus, and no-one at work would notice I was gone.

Well, things finally came to a head, and they laid me off.  I got a really good severance package, and three months later I found my current job.  As of last September, I've been here for ten years, and I love it here.  The work's interesting, the pay is good (not as good as the old job, but some things are more important than money), and I have friends!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
A number of years ago, I was in a job with a supervisor that was making me so miserable, I seriously considered quitting and working a minimum wage job until I could find something else.  Another job came up in the organization that I applied for and got but my supervisor was holding up the transfer.  So I kept applying for jobs outside the organization.  Right around the time I finally transferred to the new job, my Mom got sick.  It was terminal but we thought she'd be in treatment for a while so I had applied for a job in my brother's city, since that's where she would have gone for treatment.

I didn't get the job; Mom died shortly after I found out.  Several months later, I got a phone call.  Was I still interested in the job?  Apparently, I'd scored well enough in the interview that they were hiring from the same interview pool.  There wasn't a spot in my brother's city but there was one in a spot much closer to him and to where my Dad is still living.  I agonized over the decision but realized that when you are offered a job you didn't even apply for, let alone interview for, the fates are telling you to take the job.

So I did.  I work with a (mostly) great bunch of people with great supervisors.  My health is infinitely better - if I'd stayed in that job, I'd probably have gone off on long term disability.  I'll have been here 9 years at the beginning of May.

Looking back, if I'd gotten the original job I'd applied for, I probably would have had a nervous breakdown.  My mother had just died, I'd be going into 12 straight weeks of training, I'd be trying to sell my house and buy a new one, pack and get moved, etc.  It would have been a nightmare!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Snooks

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
I had an old chrystler 5th avenue car (land whale with horrible gas milage) in college.  I was rearended 3 times over the course of a week. Submitted estimates from local shops as well as reports of previous rear endings to 2 of them. Was paid 3 times for a bumper, paint scratches, and 2 days time off work (IE, payoff so I don't sue for the rear ending). Took the car home a  few weeks later to get it fixed by my cousin and he just buffed the scratches out and replaced the connector things for the bumper.  Total paid - $175, total from insurance companies - almost $3000.

Isn't that insurance fraud?

How would it be fraud?  She actually did get hit three different times.  She told the other two that there had already been a previous rear ending(s).  She wasn't dishonest in any way.  Had she had the work done professionally, it would have apparently cost her that much to have her bumper fixed.  (Especially if she had had it done immediately after each incident.)

I think it's only fraud if you lie to the insurance companies.  She did not.

Yeah, I actually asked about this when I was talking to the last two insurance companies.  They said that it was easier just to deal with it as an independent accident because of having to conference with 3 different insurance companies, the lawyers from each company, initial degree of damage, percent of damage due to each subsequent hit on the bumper, blah, blah, blah. So, the last two accidents were treated as a single isolated incident and was paid out as such.

Sorry, I misread the original post and thought you told two garages about the three accidents when you were getting the quote.  I did think that insurance companies paid the person doing the work not the victim of the accident which was another confusion for me.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 05:47:04 PM »
Not that dramatic, but I think about how well it worked out sometimes. As a college student I had been in my apartment for a year and hated it, so I was searching for another one to move into. I had seen a lot of apartments in various locations but didn't really like any of them. Finally I decided on one that was really close to my current apartment (and quite far from where I worked). It was just sort of eh, whatever, but honestly I was tired of looking and figured it would be good enough for a year. I walked into the landlord's office, literally check in hand prepared to sign the lease, and they looked the apartment up and told me there had been a mistake, that the current tenant was staying on. They had messed up and not marked it off the list or something.

So instead I ended up signing a lease for an apartment in a building that was still under construction--a somewhat risky proposition that I hadn't been prepared to consider before, as there were all these horror stories of students being left homeless when the building wasn't ready on time. I have lived here for about eight years now and have few if any real complaints (mostly stuff like it being too small, which is never going to change), and no intention of moving unless I have some major life change. There are so many great things about my apartment in terms of amenities and security, and it's only three blocks from work, which is great for me as I don't have a car.

The other thing this thread made me think of were two trips I've taken with/to see friends, to two different major cities. While they were happening, the trips were somewhat stressful and awkward, partially because my friends were determined to see an exhausting list of sights. However, when I got home, I was glad to say I had done them and been to all those places.
~Lynn2000

exitzero

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
I had a friend who was going through a terrible time with an ex boyfriend. He was harrassing her and stalking her.

She went to the police and reported him.

Not only did the ex stopped bothering her, the police officer who took the report asked her out and they ended up getting married!

oogyda

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »
We were buying a house in a new development.  The purchase contract had been signed on both sides and everything was moving along.  Then we found out that house was not FHA qualified, and we would not be able to get our loan.  The builder had another house that was the same layout in a different development that was FHA qualified and he would honor the price of our original house. 

The only real drawback was that I would not get to select the flooring and cabnitry since the house was already done.  There were many advantages over the first house, though.  This one had a dishwasher, was on a corner lot and the neighborhood was much nicer than the first one.  And it was complete.  Where we would have had to wait for the first one, we could move into this one as soon as the mortgage company could get their act together. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

silvercelt

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
I've never heard of boy cats being shaved to be neutered.  What an insult to his manliness, not only had he been snipped once by your friend now these strangers are shaving him and trying to do it again.

I don't really understand this comment.  How is it an insult to his manliness, and where does it say he had already been snipped by the OP's friend?

gingerzing

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
I had been working for an insurance company (IC) for about 18 months.  And while not exactly an industry that I was interested in,it was a decent enough job.
One day the higher ups called a series of meetings with each department.  Basically to tell us all that the holding company (Pirate) that had bought the IC that I worked for was closing the office and moving everything to their headquarters.  So while you could apply for your job at the Pirate company, you would have to move 2 states away.  But we had 2 months to work with this knowledge and if you stuck around you could get your (nice) severace package.  They even had some resume classes and a mini job fair.  (The resume class was really bad.  They had a young friend of mine pad his resume so much it was 2 pages even though this was his first full time job)
Oh, the kicker.  Several of us had to train folks from the Pirate company how to do our jobs for the last 2 weeks.  Yeah, swell.  Guess who got to do it for my position.  * Total side note - I told the gal I was training to learn everything the first week because I would just spend the last week lying to her.  Oddly, I was offered a job with Pirate company anyway. I declined for several reasons. *

During the 2 months, I interviewed at several places.  Including another insurance company that would have been a TERRIBLE fit for me.  Everyone was called by Mr or Miss/Mrs Lastname and was a terribly formal atmosphere.  Plus the interviewer never looked me in the eye or made any comments beyond her script. 

One of the last places I interviewed at was 1 week before I would be laid off.  It was not part of the insurance world.  And it dealt with all my strengths (research/customer service/food) and the position was brand new so they weren't sure what I would be doing all the time.   I was called in for a second interview the day after I had moved into my new apartment.  (I had to unpack my interview clothes)  I was offered the job the following week.   Been here for over 15 years.   

Oh, and that pirate company that offered me the job?  Yeah, about 3 years later they went under. >:D

Kari

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
Emotionally-abusive ex dumped me and his best friend harrassed me on Facebook while I was too meek to strike back. Before I deleted Evil Best Friend from FB, a nice guy in the outskirts of my social circle commented on something EBF said and that kicked off an online friendship which blossomed into an in-person romance. He's now my current sweetie and the love of my life. I guess jerks do have a place in this world!