Author Topic: Letting in cars  (Read 573 times)

Barney girl

Letting in cars
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »
On my route to work I have to join a main road from a side road, then pass another side road before I join a faster road. As the traffic is slow moving someone will generally let me in. I'm then left with the quandary about traffic from the next side road. If I let them in I'm pushing the car behind who was kind to me further back. If I don't and they do, then I seem ungrateful. I usually do let them in, then feel guilty. What do others do. ( I'm assuming it is fairly universal to allow traffic in, although I was surprised recently when someone who has just moved here commented how friendly people are and that they let in other cars).

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Letting in cars
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »
The roads belong to everyone. everyone pays their share of taxes and car registrations, etc that make and maintain the roads, so therefore everyone owns them. No one driver has the right to deny another driver (who is following laws and safety habits) fair and equal access to the roads. That's the philosophy I go by.

So therefore, if someone on a side road has ample safe room to turn onto the main road you should let them in. But at the same time, you should to come to a complete stop and let in a stream of traffic because then you are blocking the cars behind you who have a right to the road as well. So basically it boils down to, I think you should let in cars, but limit the number you are making accommodations for.

Think of it more as sharing, rather then allowing/denying. You get your fair share and do your best to ensure everyone else gets an equal fair share.

NutMeg

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
When ever there is a line of traffic waiting to enter, every one should let in one car.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:24:21 PM »
A bit confused:

The roads belong to everyone. everyone pays their share of taxes and car registrations, etc that make and maintain the roads, so therefore everyone owns them. No one driver has the right to deny another driver (who is following laws and safety habits) fair and equal access to the roads. That's the philosophy I go by.

So therefore, if someone on a side road has ample safe room to turn onto the main road you should let them in. But at the same time, you should to come to a complete stop and let in a stream of traffic because then you are blocking the cars behind you who have a right to the road as well. So basically it boils down to, I think you should let in cars, but limit the number you are making accommodations for.

Think of it more as sharing, rather then allowing/denying. You get your fair share and do your best to ensure everyone else gets an equal fair share.

Did you mean you should not? come to a complete stop?

If that's what you meant, WillyNilly, then I agree with you.

OP -- slowing down a bit to let one or two cars in is perfectly acceptable (I follow the one-car rule. I let one car in in front of me, the person behind me lets one car in, etc.)

Please, do not feel guilty about letting someone go in front of you. I think you are doing the polite thing in order to keep the traffic moving.

I've been in the merging lane where nobody lets me in and it's really frustrating! Especially when I try to get into the traffic-flow lane early on, just to find the person behind me speeds up to pass 3-4 cars so that there isn't any road left for them then tries to nudge in.

NutMeg -- you posted while I was typing and you put it much more succinctly than I did! ;D

KarenK

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:36:19 PM »
There are a couple of places on my commute where this situation occurs under normal conditions. One car at a time is the unspoken rule.

Once, my DH and I were waiting to turn off a main road (speed limit 45). Traffic was not heavy - 3 cars were approaching in the other lane and were close enough so that we couldn't make the left turn until they went by. For some reason, the first car in the line stopped dead to let us turn. Lucky she was not rear-ended.

Elisabunny

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
Around here, the "rule" is that you let in one car.  And it's considered very rude for the second car to sneak in as well.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:32:41 PM »
I agree about the letting one car in rule. however, on part of my commute, you can only do this if you're coming to stop at a light. The speed limit on the road I take for most of my commute is 50, but many do 60 and sometimes more. To slow down and let someone in would cause an accident.  However, If I'm coming up to a light that's turning yellow or is red, I'm slowing down anyway, as are others, and will let someone in. But in normal traffic,  just not happening since I'm not willing to be rear-ended simply by being polite.