Author Topic: Slowing down eating  (Read 1581 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Slowing down eating
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:11:22 PM »
In the interest of losing some weight I am slowing down eating meals so that my stomach has time to tell my brain that I have eaten. 
What I've done, and I actually really like it, is to add some munchy vegetables like raw carrot sticks, celery sticks, radishes, and maybe even a few nuts to my dish along with the meal.  And I make sure that I eat those slowly in between bites of the regular stuff.  It all adds up to a regular sized meal, but just eaten more slowly. 
So far I'm leaving the table satisfied and staying away from the old hanging onto the fridge door, gazing inside, saying, "Now what shall I eat?".  Tonight it took me about 45 minutes to eat dinner. 
Anyone else have tricks? 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

EmmaJ.

Re: Slowing down eating
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:55:47 PM »
Two things that helped me (so far 28 pounds!) was swapping the size of my lunch and my evening meal.  My big meal of meat, potato, and vegetable is now eaten midday and a salad or soup and crackers is my evening meal. 

And I try not to eat on a schedule but only when I'm actually hungry.  It took a while to get out of the habit of thinking "it's 6:00 I must eat a big meal now!"  Although that one probably won't work for those with families to feed.  :)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:54:32 AM »
I just watched a news video a week or so ago. I believe it was an experiment with the British military, but I can't recall. They fed some people food and water, and others the same food and water that had been pureed. The men who ate the pureed meal were full longer. They did MRIs (can't remember) of the stomach contents and the pureed meal, like a soup, stayed in the stomach longer and therefore made them feel full longer. I couldn't believe it. I always drink while eating in hopes of filling my stomach up and not eating so much. But this experiment revealed that with too much liquid, the food pieces pass out of the stomach and into the intestines with the liquid, and then you have an empty stomach and feel hungry again! Plus, the food isn't digested in the stomach as well as it should have been.

Bottom line, I've started eating meals without taking sips of a drink during my meal in hopes of feeling full longer.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
Interesting thread!  I'm watchng for tips myself as this is an issue I have too.  I just started reading the book Savor by Thich Nhat Hanh.  Seems good so far.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »
I've heard that eating with chopsticks, at least for those of us who don't use them regularly, can help you slow down how quickly you eat.

I took up knitting and crocheting again to give me something to do in the evening with my hands.  Certainly helps keep me from getting up and down to the fridge or cupboards out of boredom.

I also eat my larger meal at lunch time and eat lighter for dinner.

I can't say that I've lost weight but I haven't gained weight and since I now seem to be perimenopausal, I think that's saying something.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
I eat in courses- a light appetizer, a main course and dessert. I end up eating less in the end, and it's cheaper to have some raw veggies to start than to fill up on meat. I also try and pause between courses. Some days, after a ten minute break before dessert, I don't want that cookie and will settle for a piece of fruit or just skip it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Danika

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »
I've heard that eating with chopsticks, at least for those of us who don't use them regularly, can help you slow down how quickly you eat.

Yes! I used to do that. And then when I got good with one hand, I switched hands. :)

Something that's helped me a lot lately is: myfitnesspal.com. I enter what I've eaten so I can keep track. This link is good too, at helping me forecast and plan what weight I'd like to be by summer when the pool opens.

I eat a lot out of habit and boredom. When I'm really in the mood to just chow down, I eat popcorn that I pop in a popper so that I can use coconut oil and make sure there are no preservatives and other high calorie things.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
My other big tip is to write down everything you eat. A week or two of noting where my snacking habits are at their worst helps a lot.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Amara

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:27:48 PM »
I made breakfast the biggest meal of the day. It usually takes place around 6:45-7:00 am. Sometimes I have for breakfast what I would have for dinner. Other times I have more "breakfast-y" foods then. But I eat quite heavily. That tends to fill me up (and energize me) until 1:00 pm. I then eat a nice-sized lunch, and for dinner eat very lightly. The thing about such a light dinner, aside from the ease of preparation, is that I go to bed slightly hungry. In other words, ready for a snack. But I don't eat said snack so I wake up very hungry.

When I first tried this it took my body about two weeks for the transformation (hunger in the morning) to kick in. But with few exceptions I tend to stick to it. If I feel like a broiled steak, a Caesar salad, a soup, a vegetable, and a dessert in the morning I have it. And I feel much less guilty about a big dish of ice cream in the morning than I used to at night.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 02:00:26 PM »
Put down your fork/spoon & knife between bites.

This may sound silly, but not having your next bite ready to go as soon as you swallow can really slow down the time spent eating.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
Take a sip of water between each bite. 
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Danika

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 06:53:02 PM »
What has also helped me is to know myself. I know that some people can eat breakfast every day and they lose weight because they're not hungry all day. I'm the opposite. Once I break my fast (eat after a night's sleep) I have a big appetite and want to keep eating. So I generally do best if I skip breakfast and skip lunch and then eat what I want for dinner. That's how my dad eats. That's how my grandfather ate. They've both always remained thin because of it. I've heard others preach at me for years that it's unhealthy, etc. But it works for me. And I've recently read it's called "the Warrior Diet." LOL.  A "new" fad diet that's been in my family for years.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 07:04:24 PM »
I munch on the raw vegetables while I'm making dinner, then put whatever's left over (say I cut up a whole red pepper but only need half of it for the recipe) on the table for me and my kids to eat, too, while they play and supper's cooking. Supper rolls around, and I no longer feel so hungry that I'm compelled to eat quickly to fill up.

Bonus: I've discovered that sneaky snacks like this get my kids to eat all kinds of things they otherwise refuse.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 11:57:30 PM »
I've started having a salad with dinner most nights. If I eat it as a first course, it definitely helps fill me up. For eating slowly, I use the method of putting my fork down and/or taking a sip of water after every bite. I have to really concentrate on doing it, because I'm used to eating very quickly, but it definitely works.

Library Dragon

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 12:06:57 AM »
I just watched a news video a week or so ago. I believe it was an experiment with the British military, but I can't recall. They fed some people food and water, and others the same food and water that had been pureed. The men who ate the pureed meal were full longer. They did MRIs (can't remember) of the stomach contents and the pureed meal, like a soup, stayed in the stomach longer and therefore made them feel full longer. I couldn't believe it. I always drink while eating in hopes of filling my stomach up and not eating so much. But this experiment revealed that with too much liquid, the food pieces pass out of the stomach and into the intestines with the liquid, and then you have an empty stomach and feel hungry again! Plus, the food isn't digested in the stomach as well as it should have been.

Bottom line, I've started eating meals without taking sips of a drink during my meal in hopes of feeling full longer.

Interesting.  I wonder if eating a bowl of puréed vegetable soup before the main meal would assist in feeling fuller quicker and for longer.  I wouldn't feel deprived because I would plan another part of the meal, but it would be after the soup.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter