Author Topic: Slowing down eating  (Read 1388 times)

Sebastienne

Re: Slowing down eating
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:10:14 AM »
Conversation. If I'm eating in front of the TV, I eat a lot faster than when I'm at the dinner table, engaged in a good conversation. I rarely finish my food when I'm with other people, largely, I think, because I'm eating slower and taking enough time to get full.

Similarly, I always eat the healthiest thing first--veggies, salad, whatever. Filling up on broccoli is way better than filling up on not-broccoli.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 04:32:11 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions.  With these in hand, some weight has to come off.  So far I've lost 7 pounds on weight watchers and want to keep up the work.  You know how you get tired of doing your 'tricks' and slip back into old bad habits...like bolting through a meal.  These will really help me.
I was just thinking.  Have you ever noticed in movies when the (female) characters are eating a meal they take tiny little bites?  I told my husband that sometimes if I'm eating too fast I switch to 'Meg Ryan mode' and pretend I'm in a movie, eating in a fancy restaurant.   (I must have seen her eat little bites in some scene before, because she's always the one who comes to mind.   :P)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:34:28 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:39 AM »
two tips that help me:
have a big pot of veg soup in the fridge. I make my own from scratch, and try to stay away from the starchy veggies, so it will include - onion, lots of celery including the tops, celery root, cabbage, spinach, squash (*the ones we get here have a high water content), mushrooms etc. I steam the veggies first for about 20 minutes, then add boiling water and let it simmer for about 30 minutes more.

second is to have salad fixin's ready to go - i wash and cut up lettuce and cabbage and other veg so that if i come hoome hungry they are ready to go while I'm putting together a meal.

I have been trying the "eat only when you are hungry" and "stop when you've had enough" - it's a big adjustment for me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jones

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »
I have a 16 oz water bottle that I refill and drink within a half hour of starting a meal. I also drink water before giving in to a snack craving. Either I eat less of the snack or realize I don't want it at all.

gollymolly2

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »
I find that I have to stop myself from putting too much food on my plate. Because even if I'm full, I'll still finish the food in front of me. So two things to deal with this:
1) I eat a small apple as I start cooking dinner. That way by the time I start plating, I'm already feeling a little fuller, so I plate less.
2) make really small portions, and tell myself I can have as many refills as I want, but I have to wait ten or fifteen minutes between helpings.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 01:16:27 PM »
^ And on that same note, use a tea plate, rather than a dinner plate, to put your food out on.  Those smaller portions will fill the tea plate but look like there isn't much food on a dinner plate.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
In regards to the soup thing- I remember reading somewhere that whatever nation in particular they were discussing had one of the best rates of non-obesity and that those folks tended to eat soup for at least one meal a day, sometimes even for breakfast.  I think it was Japan, but I can't recall exactly.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
I just watched a news video a week or so ago. I believe it was an experiment with the British military, but I can't recall. They fed some people food and water, and others the same food and water that had been pureed. The men who ate the pureed meal were full longer. They did MRIs (can't remember) of the stomach contents and the pureed meal, like a soup, stayed in the stomach longer and therefore made them feel full longer. I couldn't believe it. I always drink while eating in hopes of filling my stomach up and not eating so much. But this experiment revealed that with too much liquid, the food pieces pass out of the stomach and into the intestines with the liquid, and then you have an empty stomach and feel hungry again! Plus, the food isn't digested in the stomach as well as it should have been.

Bottom line, I've started eating meals without taking sips of a drink during my meal in hopes of feeling full longer.

Interesting.  I wonder if eating a bowl of puréed vegetable soup before the main meal would assist in feeling fuller quicker and for longer.  I wouldn't feel deprived because I would plan another part of the meal, but it would be after the soup.

I know some studies have shown that eating a broth-based (not cream!) soup before a meal is a good way to feel fuller quicker and longer. I personally prefer the crunch-factor, so I go for a salad instead, and that helps a lot. Actually, at this very moment I'm having my salad before I start cooking dinner. :)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 01:27:17 AM »
This morning I made a vegetable soup and had it for breakfast and then some with lunch and with dinner.  It was one of those things that gets better tasting as it sits in the fridge.  By this evening it was so good. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 05:17:12 AM »
I've heard that eating with chopsticks, at least for those of us who don't use them regularly, can help you slow down how quickly you eat.

I took up knitting and crocheting again to give me something to do in the evening with my hands.  Certainly helps keep me from getting up and down to the fridge or cupboards out of boredom.

I also eat my larger meal at lunch time and eat lighter for dinner.

I can't say that I've lost weight but I haven't gained weight and since I now seem to be perimenopausal, I think that's saying something.
ok so this is funny actually - this morning i made some oatmeal for myself (at work - just mix rolled oats with instant oats and hot water and add a little milk, salt, sugar) - i made the same amount i usually make but this time i ate it with a tiny spoon (the disposable kind they serve with coffee) and by the time i got halfway thru i actually felt that I don't need any more! whoo hoo!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools