Author Topic: Please Review My Book  (Read 3855 times)

katycoo

Re: Please Review My Book
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
My biggest problem with this is that you were asked by someone who isn't really a friend.  That would bug me.

If it was an actual friend, paying $1 wouldn't bother me.  I would, however, try to review on whatever positives I found.  Most people can tell a truthful opinion behind a positive review like that, without you needing to lie or be negative in any way.  I would also tell my friend in advance I'd leave the best review I could but that I would be truthful and I'l also understand if she preferred to take it down.  And how proud I was that she wrote a book, even if I didn't personally like it.  That's a lot of hard work!

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 10:08:55 PM »
I agree with Katycoo's approach.

If I thought the book was bad I'd inform my friend that while I'm still happy to review the book, I had a few problems with it, and would understand if she preferred that I didn't leave any review at all. 

thedudeabides

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »
I had this happen to me once.  The author was spamming it everywhere: personal site, business site, Twitter, you name it.  So I read the sample chapters.  Awful.  Like, the author really needed to have had an editor and a proofreader and probably a ghost writer.  I ended up just ignoring the spam, because it wouldn't have been a positive review.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 02:45:24 AM »
Ignore.

Even if it seemed to be a personal request, I would bet my seashell wreath she won't notice.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »
I wonder if you could approach it by telling her something about what will happen if other people know that you were the one to review it.

You could tell her that people might think, if you write a good review, "Oh goodness, this book must be so bad that she had to have her friend come over and make a good review for it."  And if you write a bad review, people might think "Oh goodness, even her friend doesn't like it, this book really must stink!"

Normally I'm not a big fan of running over "what people might think" scenarios because they usually lead to endless tail-chasing circles of stress.  But in this case, it might work.

nyarlathotep

• My other blade is Vorpal
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 08:00:03 AM »
I wonder if you could approach it by telling her something about what will happen if other people know that you were the one to review it.

You could tell her that people might think, if you write a good review, "Oh goodness, this book must be so bad that she had to have her friend come over and make a good review for it."  And if you write a bad review, people might think "Oh goodness, even her friend doesn't like it, this book really must stink!"

Normally I'm not a big fan of running over "what people might think" scenarios because they usually lead to endless tail-chasing circles of stress.  But in this case, it might work.

This is a fantastic approach, and IMO, the kindest way to deflect her.

Sparkle Star

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
Thanks guys.

She has messaged me again following my original response to say she looks forward to hearing what I think of it - and asking me to ask a friend of mine, who is literary editor on a daily national newspaper, to review it too. Erm - really? You think that's going to happen?

I particularly like this sentence:

I understand you might not be comfortable making this request directly, in which case just drop me Literary Ed's mobile number and/or email address and I'll do it myself. (Personal email would be best please - I know work ones can get ignored or filtered by the newsdesk guard-dogs!)

I wouldn't go around giving out any friend's personal contact information to third parties who are complete strangers to them, no matter who they were!
Love, dance and chocolate fudge cake - what more do I need?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:04 AM »
 :o

That's really cheeky of her! I'm very vocal about reviewing books, so I have no problems with people asking me to review a book of theirs (although I always ask for a free copy - if they want me to review it, they can spring for my copy), but asking me to pass it on to any of my friends in publishing? Sorry, not gonna happen!

I'd just ignore. If she persists then I think it's time for the good old, "I'm sorry, that won't be possible."

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
It's time for the "I'm afraid that won't be possible." approved ehell answer.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »
Thanks guys.

She has messaged me again following my original response to say she looks forward to hearing what I think of it - and asking me to ask a friend of mine, who is literary editor on a daily national newspaper, to review it too. Erm - really? You think that's going to happen?

I understand you might not be comfortable making this request directly, in which case just drop me Literary Ed's mobile number and/or email address and I'll do it myself. (Personal email would be best please - I know work ones can get ignored or filtered by the newsdesk guard-dogs!)

I wouldn't go around giving out any friend's personal contact information to third parties who are complete strangers to them, no matter who they were!

WOW!!  She really has some cajones to ask you to share the personal email of someone she doesn't know for a professional reason.  And the cynical side of me thinks that was her main reason for asking you all along; sure, she might want your review, but what she really wants is an 'in' with someone with literary clout, and you're that 'in'.  She was just working up to asking you for your friend's contact info by 'flattering' you by asking you for your review first.

I'm not a fan of the 'that won't be possible', but I think perhaps a response of 'I'm sorry, but I don't feel comfortable giving out my friends' contact information.  But I wish you the best of luck with your book!' might be in order here.

And I bet with that response, you might not get any more requests for you to review it either.  ;)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »
WOW!!  She really has some cajones to ask you to share the personal email of someone she doesn't know for a professional reason.  And the cynical side of me thinks that was her main reason for asking you all along; sure, she might want your review, but what she really wants is an 'in' with someone with literary clout, and you're that 'in'.  She was just working up to asking you for your friend's contact info by 'flattering' you by asking you for your review first.

I'm not a fan of the 'that won't be possible', but I think perhaps a response of 'I'm sorry, but I don't feel comfortable giving out my friends' contact information.  But I wish you the best of luck with your book!' might be in order here.

And I bet with that response, you might not get any more requests for you to review it either.  ;)

POD to this! She is bold, very bold. I think she has definitely moved from a slightly ambiguous "cheeky but trying to put herself out there" attitude to out-and-out rude presumption. I like GrammarNerd's response, it's a clear NO with a nice sentiment on the end.
~Lynn2000

BeagleMommy

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »
Holy moley!  This woman is a piece of work. 

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »
Thanks guys.

The bolded made me see red! Why the ehell should she get a short cut through the system? Those "guard dogs" are there for a reason! Editors don't have time for every little nobody no-talent to come whining to them "oh but I know you'll love MY book, it deserves a four star front page review because it's the next great American Novel blah blah blah."

ARRRGH!

This is why authors DO NOT ASK for reviews!!!! She is officially graduated from go-getting self-promotion to straight selling herself out (I have another word for it but I know the filters wouldn't let it through). Yes, networking is part of the business but it is a question of other people who believe in your work pushing for you, and they are putting their connections at risk when they choose to do so.

The entitlement just astounds me. If she wants to contact the editor, she needs to go through proper channels to get the professional contact information, send a query/cover letter, and expect to be rejected.

Additionally, the fact that she expects a ~$1 digital book to be prominently reviewed by a national newspaper? How delusional is she? ::)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

makotohanabi

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
DH does reviews for a webzine, and many self published authors have this crazy idea that I can "order" him to buy the book and give it a 6 star (because a mere 5 stars won't cut it) review. I would have better luck ordering the Sun to rise in the West. One former friend had a great idea that I should buy his self published book for $10 and make DH review it. Of course DH would see that this is the greatest novel ever written and then I give the book back to former friend (no refund) so he can sell it to someone else. Oddly enough former friend gave me the cut direct when I said no. DH has been quoted on jacket blurbs for some big name books, but the quote is credited to the webzine not to DH.

His policy on reviewing friend's books is that he reviews the books on the merits of the book, not the friendship. His author friends are professionals and know neutral and/or bad reviews will happen.

Overly aggressive entitled people like OP's friend make it difficult for self published people to get noticed. DH's editor stopped accepting self published books because many of the authors threw massive tantrums that their books were not reviewed. In the submission rules it clearly says submitting a book does not guarantee someone will review it.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
Thanks guys.

The bolded made me see red! Why the ehell should she get a short cut through the system? Those "guard dogs" are there for a reason! Editors don't have time for every little nobody no-talent to come whining to them "oh but I know you'll love MY book, it deserves a four star front page review because it's the next great American Novel blah blah blah."

ARRRGH!

This is why authors DO NOT ASK for reviews!!!! She is officially graduated from go-getting self-promotion to straight selling herself out (I have another word for it but I know the filters wouldn't let it through). Yes, networking is part of the business but it is a question of other people who believe in your work pushing for you, and they are putting their connections at risk when they choose to do so.

The entitlement just astounds me. If she wants to contact the editor, she needs to go through proper channels to get the professional contact information, send a query/cover letter, and expect to be rejected.

Additionally, the fact that she expects a ~$1 digital book to be prominently reviewed by a national newspaper? How delusional is she? ::)

Does she expect her book to be reviewed in the national newspaper? Or does she just want your editor friend to leave a review on Amazon? If the latter, she's not quite so delusional (but still pretty darn entitled!)