Author Topic: Please Review My Book  (Read 3675 times)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
Re: Please Review My Book
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »
Don't do it.  If you pan it, your relationship, such as it is, will never recover.  And yet you owe it to yourself, and readers in general, to be honest. 

Whatsanenigma had a good idea.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
Thanks guys.

She has messaged me again following my original response to say she looks forward to hearing what I think of it - and asking me to ask a friend of mine, who is literary editor on a daily national newspaper, to review it too. Erm - really? You think that's going to happen?

I particularly like this sentence:

I understand you might not be comfortable making this request directly, in which case just drop me Literary Ed's mobile number and/or email address and I'll do it myself. (Personal email would be best please - I know work ones can get ignored or filtered by the newsdesk guard-dogs!)

I wouldn't go around giving out any friend's personal contact information to third parties who are complete strangers to them, no matter who they were!

WOW!!  She really has some cajones to ask you to share the personal email of someone she doesn't know for a professional reason.  And the cynical side of me thinks that was her main reason for asking you all along; sure, she might want your review, but what she really wants is an 'in' with someone with literary clout, and you're that 'in'.  She was just working up to asking you for your friend's contact info by 'flattering' you by asking you for your review first.

I'm not a fan of the 'that won't be possible', but I think perhaps a response of 'I'm sorry, but I don't feel comfortable giving out my friends' contact information.  But I wish you the best of luck with your book!' might be in order here.

And I bet with that response, you might not get any more requests for you to review it either.  ;)

Yep!! Took the words right out of my mouth.
I just cannot get over the sheer gall.

Jaelle

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 07:38:49 PM »
We get a ton of ARCs at work, and I'm on the reviewer rotation, so I've written a number of reviews.

I can tell you for a fact that once those ARCs hit our desk, they get the review we think they deserve. THere's no obligation whatsoever to write a positive one. (And frankly, a lot of the books we get are not that great. I try to be more ... circumspect ... but I've had co-workers write some brutal ones. Well-deserved, too.)

Were a book by a person I know to cross my desk, I would decline and pass it on to another reviewer. Too much conflict of interest. Does this apply to Amazon reviews? I don't know, but maybe it should.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites