Author Topic: newspaper ink?  (Read 5069 times)

Magnet

newspaper ink?
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
I work out on a fairly regular basis.  After I work out, I like to sit in the dry sauna and work up a sweat (I'm a swimmer and that does not result in a good sweat).  I generally read the newspaper while in the sauna to pass the time.  After I am done sweating, I leave my paper in the sauna, take a shower, and return to the sauna and lotion up and retrieve my newspaper.  This has been my routine for years.

Yesterday, while going back into the sauna to retrieve my newpaper, a woman complained that the ink from the paper caused toxic fumes, and I shouldn't leave my paper in there or even read in there.  I could not smell any ink. Ladies also leave swimsuits in there to dry after their swim, and sometimes ladies will wash their underwear and leave them in the sauna to dry. 

This woman also complained about someone who walked into the sauna with sneakers on to retrieve her bathingsuit.  I pointed out that the complaining woman also had sandals on that could track dirt into the sauna and that the plastics in her shoes could be the cause of the smell. Of course, she was certain that nothing she had done was wrong.  I also heard her complaining later on about kids running around the pool.  Kids are only allowed in the gym on Sundays for "family swim."  The lifeguard does not allow running.

Newspaper ink smells?  Does this woman have a point or is she a SS?  Luckily, she does not work out in the early am, so I won't have to see her on a regular basis. 

alkira6

Re: newspaper ink?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »
I would smile and ignore - she sounds like an unhappy person looking for things to complain about.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:35:47 AM »
I am puzzled as to why leave your newspaper in there.  I would have taken it with you in case a few people want to use the sauna and sit where you left the paper.

And I am also puzzled that the newspaper doesn't get damp and useless after a few moments in the sauna but if you have been doing it for years I will take your word for it!  Oh and newspaper do emit a scent when heated.  When I bring in the newspaper in the Summer, it stinks.  So while the lady sounded special, she does have a point.

ETA  While the paper does stink, in no way do I think it's dangerous.  Just wanted to clarify that point, that's what makes the lady special in my eyes.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:51:14 AM by Zilla »

jmarvellous

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
I am puzzled as to why leave your newspaper in there.  I would have taken it with you in case a few people want to use the sauna and sit where you left the paper.

And I am also puzzled that the newspaper doesn't get damp and useless after a few moments in the sauna but if you have been doing it for years I will take your word for it!  Oh and newspaper do emit a scent when heated.  When I bring in the newspaper in the Summer, it stinks.  So while the lady sounded special, she does have a point.

I agree with Zilla. Why leave your paper in there?  Set it on the ground or bench outside the shower, or put it in your locker. (Probably just me, but getting hot and sweaty, cooling down and cleaning off, then going back to get sweaty just to fetch your paper and apply (runny, hot?)  lotion seems inefficient.)

Also, newspaper and ink have a distinct but hardly noxious smell -- I worked at newspapers for years, and the barrels of ink and papers hot off the presses are, to be slightly unhelpful, very inky smelling. My paper (and most if not all papers these days, used a soy-based ink for cost and recycling purposes, so it's hardly dangerous (or there would be a lot more workers' comp claims from press workers).

All that said, this woman sounds whiny, and I'd just let it go. Can't be pleased!

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »
I think you should not leave your newspaper in the sauna when you are not there.

thedudeabides

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »
Don't leave your trash in the sauna.

demarco

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »
I think it would be better to take your paper with you, otherwise  it may appear that it has been discarded there (nobody wants to look at other people's trash) or that  it has been left deliberately for other people to read.  Someone might throw it out or take it. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with reading the paper in the sauna, unless there are explicit rules against it. 

Interestingly, this is the second instance of newspaper hate that I've encountered recently.  I bought a copy of an out of town newspaper at the grocery store a few days ago.  The cashier ran it across the scanner, sneered at it, rubbed her fingers together, made a face and said, "Ewwwww! I hate touching newspapers!"  I hope that newspapers aren't becoming the next Big Scary Thing. 

Melde

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »
Our rule was No Outdoor Shoes Anywhere on Deck. This included the sauna and steam rooms. Many people bring their own deck shoes because of this. Maybe her sandals are not used anywhere else? I would be very annoyed if someone wore their outside shoes into the sauna too, and I am not even prone to warts or fungus. It is about maintaining a clean floor area in a place where many people walk in their bare feet.

Children should not be running anywhere on a pool deck.

Maybe she is a lifeguard or former guard?

Magnet

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
To answer a few questions,

The sauna is a dry sauna (I believe I mentioned that in my initial post), so nothing gets wet in there.  Things get dry in there.

I leave my glasses on the paper, so it is clear that is someone's possession, and is not trash.  I also don't consider a bathing cap sitting in there to be someone's trash and would not toss someone else's belongings.

There is no place immediately outside of the sauna to put the paper.   I could walk back to my locker, but the sauna is right next to the showers, and it is more convenient to leave it there.  I am a fast shower-er, so it sits there unattended for 5 minutes max.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »
If OP's gym is anything like mine, street shoes are not allowed anywhere in the facility, so the sneakers she's wearing into the sauna haven't been outside.

The newspaper, though ... I'm with those who say OP should take it with her.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Lynnv

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »
I work out on a fairly regular basis.  After I work out, I like to sit in the dry sauna and work up a sweat (I'm a swimmer and that does not result in a good sweat).  I generally read the newspaper while in the sauna to pass the time.  After I am done sweating, I leave my paper in the sauna, take a shower, and return to the sauna and lotion up and retrieve my newspaper.  This has been my routine for years.

Yesterday, while going back into the sauna to retrieve my newpaper, a woman complained that the ink from the paper caused toxic fumes, and I shouldn't leave my paper in there or even read in there.  I could not smell any ink. Ladies also leave swimsuits in there to dry after their swim, and sometimes ladies will wash their underwear and leave them in the sauna to dry. 

I think that leaving your newspaper in the sauna when you are not actively reading is slightly rude.  You know you plan to go back and pick it up, but the other folks in there sure don't.  So it looks like someone has left trash sitting in there for someone else to deal with.

Newspaper ink smells?  Does this woman have a point or is she a SS?  Luckily, she does not work out in the early am, so I won't have to see her on a regular basis. 
I do think she has a point about not leaving the newspaper sitting around while you are out of the sauna.
She is out of line  about asking you not to read the paper in the sauna.  As long as you are using it, it has a legitimate reason to be there.

And yes, newspaper ink does have a fairly distinctive smell-especially when it heats up.  On a single newspaper, it isn't terribly strong.  But it is definitely present and someone with a good nose could sniff it out.  That still doesn't mean it is rude of you to read the paper in the sauna.  But she isn't wrong about it having a scent.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »

I leave my glasses on the paper, so it is clear that is someone's possession, and is not trash.  I also don't consider a bathing cap sitting in there to be someone's trash and would not toss someone else's belongings.

There is no place immediately outside of the sauna to put the paper.   I could walk back to my locker, but the sauna is right next to the showers, and it is more convenient to leave it there.  I am a fast shower-er, so it sits there unattended for 5 minutes max.

You are still inconveniencing someone that might have wanted to sit there.  I would leave your paper with your lotion and towel wherever you leave them.  If it might get wet, then bring a plastic bag to store it in with your lotion and towel while you shower.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »
It does sound like this particular lady just wants to complain about things. Although she may have a point about certain things (I do think newspapers/ink smell funny, and I don't like touching them because the ink comes off on my hands easily), rattling off several complaints in a row is not a good way to start a conversation with someone. Is she new there? Maybe the place she went to before had different rules. If she starts complaining again, maybe you could point out a manager to her in a friendly way, and suggest that that person is the one she should be complaining to, not another customer.

Generally, as long as you are following the rules, you're in the clear. You've left your newspaper and glasses in the sauna for years and no one has complained. However, now someone has complained, so I would take them with you when you leave, because it does seem like they could be taking up room that someone else currently in the sauna wants to use. It seems weird to me that people leave their clothing in there to dry, because surely that takes up even more room, but apparently it's not against the rules, and if it's not your clothing and you don't mind it being there, you're not under any obligation to do anything about it. Hence directing this woman to management if she complains to you again.
~Lynn2000

thedudeabides

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »
Just because it's inconvenient to leave your paper doesn'tvmean you should. It's a semi-public space, in that it's not for your use alone, so you don't just leave your stuff sitting around, taking up space because you don't feel like putting it away. And just because no one has complained doesn't mean they don't feel you're being rude.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 02:28:48 PM »
I think I'll have to smell my newspaper because I've truly never noticed.  I would check with the gym management to see if it is okay to leave your paper there.  I do think it is a bit interesting that she started off complaining about the newspaper ink smell and then rattled off several more complaints that had nothing to do with the OP.  Hopefully, she was just having a bad day.