Author Topic: newspaper ink?  (Read 5401 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: newspaper ink?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
I'd forget about this woman and go on with your life.  It sounds to me like she's just a complainer.  Some people are.

FOSTER

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »
Newspaper ink does in fact smell (you should smell it on the presses)

If you want your paper to not disappear, you should be responsible for it, not leaving it around, etc.

White Lotus

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 04:45:18 PM »
Most likely, OP swims with an early morning group of "regulars."  These women will do things that they might not do during more crowded times of the day when more "outsiders" are present.  It probably is against the rules to dry out underwear, and even swimsuits, in the sauna.  No one would do that later or during a crowded time.  But people who work out at the same time every day establish their own customs and rules because everyone who is a regular is OK with it.  The paper and glasses aren't perceived as either junk or rude by the regulars.  They're just OP's, and that is what she does with them.  Going into a sauna briefly after a shower to fully dry and using lotion then is quite normal.  I wouldn't worry about it, OP.  But don't your glasses get too hot?

sweetonsno

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »
She's being unreasonable in asking you to not bring your newspaper in there while you are actually reading, but I do think it's less-than-ideal to leave it in there unattended for more than a minute or two. Personally, I'd object more to the lotion application. Not only will any fragrance be amplified by the heat, it will also probably linger after the applier (applicant?) has left. Lotion is also a lubricant and can remain on surfaces for awhile. It is strictly forbidden in the saunas at my gym because it is a slipping hazard.

As for the shoes, I have a dedicated pair of flip flops that I wear when showering or sauna-ing at the gym. Not all shoes are street shoes, and considering the prevalence of warts, athlete's foot, and other nasties, it's wise to have foot protection when sharing that type of space with others.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »
Just because it's inconvenient to leave your paper doesn't mean you should. It's a semi-public space, in that it's not for your use alone, so you don't just leave your stuff sitting around, taking up space because you don't feel like putting it away. And just because no one has complained doesn't mean they don't feel you're being rude.

I agree. I used to work out regularly with a bunch of regulars, but we never, ever left our stuff sitting around where it didn't belong, even if it was 100 ft to the lockers. Clutter is clutter and only belongs in your own controlled space.

As for the street shoes in the sauna area, I think that is a valid complaint, too.

Newspaper ink stinks to me, and now with the corn-based stuff I can't stand it.

Magnet

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »
Thank you, White Lotus.  The glasses do get hot, but I don't need them until later in my ritual.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »
I think you should change your ritual.  While the woman does sound like a complainer (even though most of her complaints seem valid, I can see how airing them all at once makes them less effective), leaving stuff in the sauna when you're not in there with it doesn't come across as particularly polite.  What if someone wants to sit where your newspaper and glasses are?

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 10:02:26 PM »
How popular is the sauna when you use it? If it's crowded, I do think it's slightly obnoxious to leave a newspaper taking up space where someone could otherwise sit.

However, if there's plenty of room available, and your newspaper is only taking up a small portion, I think you're fine.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »
I think you should change your ritual.  While the woman does sound like a complainer (even though most of her complaints seem valid, I can see how airing them all at once makes them less effective), leaving stuff in the sauna when you're not in there with it doesn't come across as particularly polite.  What if someone wants to sit where your newspaper and glasses are?

This, exactly.  It might not seem like a big deal to leave a newspaper around - but what if there were 15 or 20 people attending the facility at any one time, and they all decided the same thing?  Even two newspapers can make a place look pretty trashy.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »
Are there hooks in the shower or sauna rooms? You could bring a bag to put the paper in and hang it on a hook instead of leaving it on a seat.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 12:35:55 AM »
Frankly, I'd be more worried/annoyed about the glasses. Why should other patrons have to worry about them, eg. not sitting on them, having the glasses and paper taking up space if extra people want to come in; new members may treat them as lost property and hand them into the office, causing unnecessary inconvenience, etc.

If someone just left their glasses lying around, I certainly would refuse to be held accountable if I accidentally broke them, when the situation is extremely preventable (ie. the owner taking care of their belongings). As a glasses wearer, I can't imagine wanting to take that risk.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
This is like people who leave their seats on the airline in the reclined position when they get up to go to the bathroom. It is bad enough that you have to do this, but when it is annoying me and you are not even using it it is SUPER annoying.  So she has to smell the newspaper and you are not even reading it, just leaving it there for your convenience.  Couldn't you put it in your locker or throw it out between sauna and shower?

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 04:26:54 AM »
I think the woman sounds a little nutty. Whether or not you should leave your newspaper in there for the couple of minutes that you shower is one issue, but this woman is even going so far as to say you shouldn't read it in there. I'm sure the smell of chlorine from the pool (which stays on the swimsuits) is far more toxic than that. And I don't know if there's a hot tub in this place, but I'm told that hot tub chemicals are quite nasty. The newspaper would be the least of my worries. I'd ignore her.

Scottie

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 07:06:07 AM »
I don't think anything should be left in the sauna when the owner is no longer in there. And I find the thought of swimsuits drying in the sauna disgusting. In Germany, you wouldn't get away with any of that. You go in naked, with a towel, and there should be no body parts touching the wood. No shoes. No suits or hats left lying around. Far better (in my opinion).

Bottlecaps

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »
I remember a few years ago, in art class in middle school, we did some pottery and of course, it had to be baked in the kiln in the art room. Mr. Art Teacher explained to us that many will use newspaper to light the kiln, but he wasn't allowed to do that because it could put off toxic fumes. I honestly never thought about it though and never went digging for an answer, so I don't know for sure. However, a sauna is much different from an actual fire, and from the way Mr. Art Teacher explained things, it was actually burning the paper that could put off the fumes, not just getting it hot like a sauna would.

I think this lady sounds like a complainer, as PPs have said, and it was completely unreasonable for her to object to you actually reading it while you're using the sauna. However, just as a precaution for your belongings (and as a consideration to others, so it's not taking up any seating space), I wouldn't leave it in there when you step out of the sauna. That said, the woman was way too rude in her demands. She could have just politely asked you to refrain from leaving your belongings in the sauna when you're not in there with them.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos