Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Too early to the party/update #53

<< < (2/14) > >>

Outdoor Girl:
I think she was rude to show up an hour and a half early, if there were other places within walking distance where she could have waited, like a coffee shop or something.  But if the venue was out in the middle of nowhere and that was the time she could get there due to transit issues, she was fine to do as she did and stay out of the way.

You were fine to greet her and carry on, as was your co-hostess.

The guests who arrived minutes before the start time were completely fine, IMO.  I generally plan to be ready to go 15 minutes before the actual start time of an event when I'm hosting for just this reason.  But if you're earlier than that?  You'd better be prepared to work or you need to go find somewhere else to hang out until the stated start time.

Dorrie78:
Perhaps she had told the hostess who was her friend that she needed to arrive early for some reason, but would be happy to sit in an out of the way area and occupy herself until the party started and was told that that would be okay. I would hesitate to say that this guest was rude without knowing all the facts about the situation. OP - did you talk to your co-host who knew this woman and find out why she was early? It doesn't sound like she was in the way, although I can understand being a little uncomfortable that she was there so early.

Softly Spoken:
This is a timely post. I have never thought about being early as being rude, but I am always early.

Firstly, I hate being late so I always hedge my bets and have some "buffer" time because "stuff happens."
Second, I rely on the bus for transportation, and anyone who rides the bus can tell you that you have two choices: arrive early or arrive late.

I arrived early over the weekend to a two-day seminar (bus + ferry + longish walk in unknown area = lots of extra time just in case ::)). The lady in charge of hosting the event was very nice and invited me in even though she was still setting up. I offered to help and she was grateful.

When I arrive early to something, I either ask if I can help or stay out of the way. I don't expect anything from my host because they are not "on the clock" yet. I would never want my earliness to be an imposition. If it feels too "empty" or awkward, I will leave and come back depending on the circumstances. If I am early I expect, or at least am not surprised, to find the host unprepared/busy/disheveled etc. I have been there, I don't judge and I do what I can to help if possible.

I would never want my being early to put anyone out, but usually I can't help but arrive early. :-\

Outdoor Girl:
Softly Spoken, you were fine.  Where circumstances dictate that you will be early, you either help out or stay the heck out of the way.   :)

cicero:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on March 18, 2013, 12:06:31 PM ---I think she was rude to show up an hour and a half early, if there were other places within walking distance where she could have waited, like a coffee shop or something.  But if the venue was out in the middle of nowhere and that was the time she could get there due to transit issues, she was fine to do as she did and stay out of the way.

--- End quote ---
OP said she was 30 minutes early, not 90.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version