Author Topic: Let me shop by myself!  (Read 4693 times)

Coralreef

Let me shop by myself!
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:00:55 PM »
I didn't want to derail the massage thread. 

I went into one of my favorite clothing chain store and was immediatly accosted by the saleslady.  "Hi, how are you, "  "Fine, thanks, "  all the social niceties done with.  I tell her I'm just browsing, I don't need anything specific, I'll let her know if I want/see something. 

She just would NOT leave me alone!  Touch a skirt fabric?  She jumps in with blouse suggestions.  Look toward dresses?  Here are the new styles for this summer.  No matter how many times I told her I was just looking and didn't need help, she just didn't get a clue.  I finally just left the store and I was surprised she didn't follow me into the mall.  It was either that or growl at her.

Suggestions on how to deal with this?  I've never had to handle this before.  When I say I'm just looking, the sales people just let me know their name so I call on them if anything strikes my fancy and they leave me alone.

[/right

Lorelei_Evil

Re: Let me shop by myself!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:51 PM »
Me?  I get mad, then I leave and shop online.

amylouky

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
I've had this happen, and usually just say "I'm sorry, I'd really rather just look for myself. I will let you know if I need any help." Said in a friendly but firm tone. Usually they get it but if they come up and bug me again, I will put down whatever it is I'm looking at and leave.

Since you shop there often, is this how all of their salespeople are, or was this one particularly pushy? Because some stores have guidelines for how their salespeople are supposed to interact with customers.. if it's a storewide thing she may just be following instructions. Either way, I'd probably contact the management and let them know that the experience really turned you off from shopping there.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »
Wow, I don't think I've ever had a salesperson at a shop be that pushy--usually they just ask once if they can help me, and I say, "No thanks, I'm just looking," and they leave me alone. Maybe occasionally they follow up with another comment, like, "Are you looking for anything in particular?" and then I get a tiny bit cooler (no smile, slightly firmer tone, looking them in the eye) and repeat, "No, I'm just looking."

If someone kept bugging me like you describe I probably would have walked out, honestly. Not in a huff or anything, I just would've found browsing there too much trouble.

If you really want to stay at the store, maybe something like amylouky suggests--"I will let you know if I need anything."
~Lynn2000

Coralreef

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »
amylouki, I shop at the chain in general, I just stopped at that particular store because I was in the area.  And I did tell her that I would let her know if I found something. 

Maybe she was afraid to lose a sale (she did, there WAS something I thought was cute).  Her loss... I'll go where I'm comfortable.

[/right

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »
I get this at a local hobby store- there's one clerk there who will not let me browse in peace. Every couple of minutes, he's asking if he can help me, and it's quite annoying. I feel like I'm being watched or rushed, and I'm not sure how to handle it.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »
I hate that too when I'm shopping, but a view from the other side, I work PT in a women's store. What you described is what we are supposed to do. We see them bring pants in to try on, suggest tops, they have tops, do they need a bottom, or jacket, or jewelry, etc etc etc. Unfortunately, we, as the employees, are told if we fail to do all of what corporate dictates we do.

that being said, there are always some, both in my store, and other stores, who push it to the limit. Who won't take no for an answer. I myself am as low key as I can get away with. I will ask of they need any help, and if they say they're just browsling, i back off, but let them know if they do need anything, please let me know.

Although sometimes I am specifically instructed to seek out additional items and bring them into the customer. I hate that. My feeling is, if they WANT something to go with what they're trying on, they will either ask me, or look for it.

I encourage you to let corporate know. Store management won't help as they are the ones telling us to do that, but corporate sets the guidelines. Tell them how much you dislike that type of approach, since I can tell you, we can't do anyting about it, at store level, unless the associate is rude, which this doens't sound like she was.

MrTango

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 01:42:41 PM »
I'd suggest "Please leave me alone to do my shopping in peace.  If I have questions or want help, I will ask."

If they don't take the (clue-by-four of a) hint, then I'd leave without purchasing anything.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »
I always feel that I am not trusted. I can't imagine what people who are profiled as not trustworthy must feel!

Anyway, I do often leave. I know a couple of times I probably would have made $100 purchases if I weren't hovered over, but I just got irritated and left.

I get this at a local hobby store- there's one clerk there who will not let me browse in peace. Every couple of minutes, he's asking if he can help me, and it's quite annoying. I feel like I'm being watched or rushed, and I'm not sure how to handle it.

Me?  I get mad, then I leave and shop online.

Well, I don't buy clothing online, but I have gone for hats, purses, jewelry, and office equipment.

Sometimes when I was younger and had less of a spine I would just leave when I was checking out and the clerk was trying to upsell me. I remember one woman kept pushing for my to buy the other items of underwear and purses and hoses to go with my purchases. I said kept saying, "No, thank you." Finally, just left the counter without giving her my credit card even though I had been rung up. Still don't feel bad about it.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »
Argh!  I hate this!  If I need help I'll find you.  Otherwise, leave me the ehell alone!

I usually start with the "Thanks, I'm just browsing".  If that doesn't work I will say "If I need help I'll find you".  If that doesn't work I leave and tell them why.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
I've had this happen, and usually just say "I'm sorry, I'd really rather just look for myself. I will let you know if I need any help." Said in a friendly but firm tone. Usually they get it but if they come up and bug me again, I will put down whatever it is I'm looking at and leave.

Since you shop there often, is this how all of their salespeople are, or was this one particularly pushy? Because some stores have guidelines for how their salespeople are supposed to interact with customers.. if it's a storewide thing she may just be following instructions. Either way, I'd probably contact the management and let them know that the experience really turned you off from shopping there.

I find the practice annoying too and I try to avoid stores that have this clingy approach.  I do like the suggestion of contacting management or the corporate offices, not to get anyone in trouble, but to let them know I dislike the sales tactic.  If the salespeople use this approach because it is mandated by the higher ups, the only way it could change is if enough customers voice their complaints to those higher ups. 

Eden

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »
Could taking a sympathetic approach work? "Look I know you're coached to stay in contact with browsing customers and make suggestions etc, but I really prefer to be left alone while I shop. If I need something, I will ask." If they continue to persist, ask for a manager and repeat your request to them. If they will not comply, I would tell them I will no longer shop there then contact corporate and let them know why.

In my experience as long as you're direct and clear that you really don't want them to check in on you, they will leave you alone. In particular if I note their name and let them know I will ask for them specifically.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
It's not really something that's happened to me a lot, but the time I can remember it happening, I looked very intently at the salesperson and said (pleasantly), "I'm fine.  If I need help, I'll let you know.  I promise."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
It's not really something that's happened to me a lot, but the time I can remember it happening, I looked very intently at the salesperson and said (pleasantly), "I'm fine.  If I need help, I'll let you know.  I promise."

This is the right approach. Just leaving and shaking the metaphorical dust from your robe as some people have advocated is a very bad idea. Retail salespeople are stuck in a nasty spot. Half the customers want to be left alone while the other half want constant attention. Since nobody wears signs saying what kind of customer they are, the salesperson has to guess and frequently guesses wrong. Getting angry at them because they can't read your (general) mind about what kind of customer you are is just unfair.

Tell them what kind of customer you are, not with hints but with words. If they can't respect that then is the time to leave and let them know why.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 05:15:03 PM »
I've run into this all the time and in all kinds of stores--everything from clothing to lumber yards.  I start with "No, I don't need any help right now" and if they won't stop, ask "Are you on commission?"  That will make the pushy ones back up (usually) and if they say "yes" (and are afraid of losing a sale to another clerk), I ask for their card and promise to buy through them IF they will leave me alone.  If they won't stop, I  will say "I'm afraid you lost a sale" and walk out.