Author Topic: Let me shop by myself!  (Read 4623 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: Let me shop by myself!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »
I've run into this all the time and in all kinds of stores--everything from clothing to lumber yards.  I start with "No, I don't need any help right now" and if they won't stop, ask "Are you on commission?"  That will make the pushy ones back up (usually) and if they say "yes" (and are afraid of losing a sale to another clerk), I ask for their card and promise to buy through them IF they will leave me alone.  If they won't stop, I  will say "I'm afraid you lost a sale" and walk out.

I need to hang out with you! I wish I could do this. I'm too spineless when it comes to confrontation. I just leave.

Calistoga

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »
We had the same thing the other day when we were shopping for a new bed. We didn't want to lay on anything we couldn't afford, so we were just looking and immediately this very pushy woman swooped in to drag us from over priced bed to over priced bed. She was rude as all get out too about it- put us on a king bed when we told her we wanted a queen, and when I commented on how nice a king bed was she snapped and said "Well you wouldn't get that, you're getting a queen, those are a lot smaller." So after the first two beds she made us lay on, I just popped up off the bed and said "Were just going to look around now." She got the message and left us alone for the day.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »
I once worked at Casual Corner as a salesgirl.  They hired me because I went there with a girl friend who was shopping for clothes. I was helping my friend, bringing her different size top while she was in the dressing room.  Another customer asked me to grab something for her, which I did, and the next thing I knew, the store manager was waving an application in my face.

One thing they pounded into our heads was that, even though we work on commission, we should not sell so hard that the customer leaves the store to get some relief.  It's a delicate balance, especially when the store is almost empty.  I would dust, pick up, straighten clothes on the rack near to a customer.  It feels a bit like stalking because I'm keeping my eye on her, waiting to see any of those hints that she needs help.  If she is holding clothes in her hand and looking around, it's time to step forward.

I can't do the hard sell.  I'm no good at it.  I hate when someone tries to pressure me into anything, so I couldn't push the customers into buying something they didn't really love.  I even told a customer, "Yeah, it did look better on the hanger.  Well, let the hanger wear it and we'll find something that flatters you."  I never had top sales numbers, but I had the lowest return rate. ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 08:10:35 AM »
I'd suggest "Please leave me alone to do my shopping in peace.  If I have questions or want help, I will ask."

If they don't take the (clue-by-four of a) hint, then I'd leave without purchasing anything.

I agree, don't hint. If they're unable to accurately interpret "I'll let you know if I need anything," then stop what you're doing, drop your hands to your sides, turn, and look straight at them.

And say MrTango's line, word for word. And then either cut-and-paste or, the moment they approach you, leave.

Eden's got a point about the sympathetic approach, but she's right--you should also be direct: "I know you're coached or even ordered to keep suggesting things, but I'll be honest--it's putting me off. Please just leave me alone to look and get ideas. I promise I'll come to you if I need help."

Kari

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »
I think these salespeople are pressured by their bosses to act that way, so I feel like the best way to get the message across is to write directly to the corporate office. If you don't have a receipt with a website for a feedback survey, search online for one. I did that recently for a bad experience at a craft store.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 10:40:23 AM »
We had the same thing the other day when we were shopping for a new bed. We didn't want to lay on anything we couldn't afford, so we were just looking and immediately this very pushy woman swooped in to drag us from over priced bed to over priced bed. She was rude as all get out too about it- put us on a king bed when we told her we wanted a queen, and when I commented on how nice a king bed was she snapped and said "Well you wouldn't get that, you're getting a queen, those are a lot smaller." So after the first two beds she made us lay on, I just popped up off the bed and said "Were just going to look around now." She got the message and left us alone for the day.

I think it's interesting that different store types have different expectations... In furniture stores, for example, the salespeople are much more attentive than in the average clothing store I frequent. This is usually good, because I have a lot more experience with clothing shopping for myself than with furniture shopping, and a clothing store stop is much more likely to be a casual browsing experience, whereas if I go into a furniture store, I probably have something specific in mind I'm looking for and could use the extra assistance.

But I do think the basic approach should be the same--if the customer says, "I'm just browsing" or "I'll let you know if I need help," I think the salesperson should back off.

Are there any kinds of stores where casual browsing is generally frowned upon, and if you're in there, you really should be talking to a salesperson? I feel like there are but my mind has blanked at the moment...
~Lynn2000

weeblewobble

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
I leave the store and come back another day, hoping the Desperate Salesperson is off-duty.

Mikayla

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »
This happened to me once in a store in Dallas (the name of which is now driving me bonkers - it was not a chain).  Anyway, I tried the logical explanation, because that's how my brain works.  "I know your job is to help customers, but I'm not looking for feedback right now.  I'm just browsing, thanks".  She had just gotten done telling me I looked gorgeous in a dress that didn't even fit.

Anyway, this didn't slow her down in the slightest.  So I went to the manager and nicely explained that I was leaving without a purchase if she couldn't get this woman to back off.  She did.

I also knew others had complained about her, which made my approach a little more assertive.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:56 PM »
This happened to me once in a store in Dallas (the name of which is now driving me bonkers - it was not a chain).  Anyway, I tried the logical explanation, because that's how my brain works.  "I know your job is to help customers, but I'm not looking for feedback right now.  I'm just browsing, thanks".  She had just gotten done telling me I looked gorgeous in a dress that didn't even fit.

Anyway, this didn't slow her down in the slightest.  So I went to the manager and nicely explained that I was leaving without a purchase if she couldn't get this woman to back off.  She did.

I also knew others had complained about her, which made my approach a little more assertive.

Good for you! I have several co-workers who simply can't take no for an answer, and it even drives me bonkers, so I can only imagine how it makes customers feel. LIke I said, i am as laid-back as i can get away with, and that usually seems to work.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 03:44:07 PM »
I always feel that I am not trusted. I can't imagine what people who are profiled as not trustworthy must feel!

It's kind of funny, because if they don't trust you they follow you around but don't really say anything.  I don't know what it is about me, but someone from loss prevention is usually following me around watching me like a hawk in clothing stores.  They never talk to me, just follow me around and pretend to be shopping.  The only time they don't is if there is a pushy salesperson following me around.  I honestly prefer the loss prevention people, they aren't irritating.

Calistoga

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 09:58:11 AM »

Are there any kinds of stores where casual browsing is generally frowned upon, and if you're in there, you really should be talking to a salesperson? I feel like there are but my mind has blanked at the moment...

Wedding dresses come to mind. They definitely do not want you grabbing stuff off the racks.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »
I would be direct, "I know you have to go through this sales routine but I really rather just shop on my own and figure out my own selections.  If I need help, i will let you know.  Thank you!"  In a bright but firm voice.  If they continue to badger you, then I would definitely say, "This doesn't seem the store for me then.  Goodbye." and leave.  I would call corporate and tell them that their sales tactics chased you away.

With that said, I have friends that work for a store known for the pressure to sell sell sell and how to turn a No thank you into another selling tactic.  But if the customer specifically requests to be left alone in clear words, they are to leave them alone and only approach if there is eye contact.  So I always think that and be very direct with them.  Most of the times it works, but other times I end up leaving.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »

Wedding dresses come to mind. They definitely do not want you grabbing stuff off the racks.

Jewelry stores.

The butcher shop.

But it's generally quite clear that you start with a salesperson.

Miss March

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
This sort of sales pressure used to happen to me a lot in hair salons. I would go in for a simple cut and style, and then while the stylist had me captive in the chair, he or she would pepper me with questions about what sort of hair products I use at home. Then they would explain why those products were inferior or all wrong for me, and they would start extolling the hair products that were sold in the salon. In some cases, it was almost like I was sitting though a 30 minute long personal infomercial, as they used a certain shampoo/conditioner/styling product on me and talked about the great benefits of the products. I would be weary of hearing about it, but at the same time, this is the person who is actively cutting your hair, so I was in a vulnerable position with them. Other times, they would launch into speeches about how I should consider a certain service that they offer (coloring, highlights, deep conditioning, etc.) Then as they walked me the register, they'd ask if I wanted to take home a few bottles of that great product, or if I wanted to go ahead and book that salon service?

I finally found a stylist who goes very, very easy on trying to sell things to me while I am in her chair, and I love her for it. She is worth her weight in gold.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »
This sort of sales pressure used to happen to me a lot in hair salons. I would go in for a simple cut and style, and then while the stylist had me captive in the chair, he or she would pepper me with questions about what sort of hair products I use at home. Then they would explain why those products were inferior or all wrong for me, and they would start extolling the hair products that were sold in the salon. In some cases, it was almost like I was sitting though a 30 minute long personal infomercial, as they used a certain shampoo/conditioner/styling product on me and talked about the great benefits of the products. I would be weary of hearing about it, but at the same time, this is the person who is actively cutting your hair, so I was in a vulnerable position with them. Other times, they would launch into speeches about how I should consider a certain service that they offer (coloring, highlights, deep conditioning, etc.) Then as they walked me the register, they'd ask if I wanted to take home a few bottles of that great product, or if I wanted to go ahead and book that salon service?

I finally found a stylist who goes very, very easy on trying to sell things to me while I am in her chair, and I love her for it. She is worth her weight in gold.

I've experienced this, sometimes with added bonus insulting of my hair, because that's supposed to make me insecure enough to buy the stuff. (There is nothing objectively wrong with my hair--I like it and think it looks good.)