Author Topic: Let me shop by myself!  (Read 4722 times)

spookycatlady

Re: Let me shop by myself!
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »
I get stuck in the next challenge to my polite demeanor when I finally do ask for help and the constant wave of unsolicited pant/tops/bottoms, etc. coming flying at me over the changing room door.

I often find the clothes they've pulled for me... hideous.  Plus, I've already rejected that item when I was browsing the store.

"No thank you.  I'm really fussy and I have all that I need."  I feel like I'm insulting their taste when I reject their offerings, but unless I asked specifically to see a Mrs. Roper style muumuu, I would like them to kindly leave it on the rack. 

If they can't take no for an answer, I will just repeat "No, thank you," in an increasingly loud and clear voice.  My best friend laughs because if I get to a third "no, thank you," apparently my voice is kind of shrill and panicked.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 02:21:01 PM »
This sort of sales pressure used to happen to me a lot in hair salons. I would go in for a simple cut and style, and then while the stylist had me captive in the chair, he or she would pepper me with questions about what sort of hair products I use at home. Then they would explain why those products were inferior or all wrong for me, and they would start extolling the hair products that were sold in the salon. In some cases, it was almost like I was sitting though a 30 minute long personal infomercial, as they used a certain shampoo/conditioner/styling product on me and talked about the great benefits of the products. I would be weary of hearing about it, but at the same time, this is the person who is actively cutting your hair, so I was in a vulnerable position with them. Other times, they would launch into speeches about how I should consider a certain service that they offer (coloring, highlights, deep conditioning, etc.) Then as they walked me the register, they'd ask if I wanted to take home a few bottles of that great product, or if I wanted to go ahead and book that salon service?

I finally found a stylist who goes very, very easy on trying to sell things to me while I am in her chair, and I love her for it. She is worth her weight in gold.

I've had this happen so much. I've finally resigned and I cut my own hair now. That's mostly because after enduring this at various places, I've still come home to find that my hair isn't even and I've had to retrim it anyway.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
This sort of sales pressure used to happen to me a lot in hair salons. I would go in for a simple cut and style, and then while the stylist had me captive in the chair, he or she would pepper me with questions about what sort of hair products I use at home. Then they would explain why those products were inferior or all wrong for me, and they would start extolling the hair products that were sold in the salon. In some cases, it was almost like I was sitting though a 30 minute long personal infomercial, as they used a certain shampoo/conditioner/styling product on me and talked about the great benefits of the products. I would be weary of hearing about it, but at the same time, this is the person who is actively cutting your hair, so I was in a vulnerable position with them. Other times, they would launch into speeches about how I should consider a certain service that they offer (coloring, highlights, deep conditioning, etc.) Then as they walked me the register, they'd ask if I wanted to take home a few bottles of that great product, or if I wanted to go ahead and book that salon service?

I finally found a stylist who goes very, very easy on trying to sell things to me while I am in her chair, and I love her for it. She is worth her weight in gold.

Tell them the name of one of the upscale product lines they sell.  And by the way you have a year's worth at home. 

Calistoga

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »

Are there any kinds of stores where casual browsing is generally frowned upon, and if you're in there, you really should be talking to a salesperson? I feel like there are but my mind has blanked at the moment...

Wedding dresses come to mind. They definitely do not want you grabbing stuff off the racks.

Jewelry stores.

The butcher shop.

But it's generally quite clear that you start with a salesperson.

I don't even like it at jewelry stores. Any place where you're doing most of your browsing with your eyes, I don't see the point of a guided tour. But I may have been soured based on experiences when DH and I tried to shop for wedding bands- to this day we don't go in to the jewelry store in the mall if we see the man we call Pimp Guy in there, because he was the single most obnoxious salesman ever.