General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

How to stop repetitive/unnecessary comments?

(1/5) > >>

Amanita:
I work as a night security guard at an apartment building, and one tenant is seriously starting to annoy me. (Note, it's not the same person as I mentioned before, who made offensive and racist comments)

When I'm at work, I like to set up my office desk in a certain way. The area right in front of me is where whatever I'm using right at the moment goes. Food I'm eating, reports I'm writing, or my sketchbooks or reading material. Books or other things I'm not using tend to get pushed over to my left side, within easy reach.

This person comes into my office, and ALWAYS needs to comment on how I have my desk set up. "Oh, there's whatever book again, you always have it, it's always on that side".

I'm finding the constant commentary quite annoying. He always feels the need to point it out every single time he's in my office. Normally this would just be annoying, but this individual has a reputation as a crank, and I wonder just what his motivation is for the constant comments.

Now, before anyone gets into this, we guards are allowed to read/write/sketch in between rounds. As long as we're not using laptops, DVD players, or electronics, we can do things to pass the time between walk-arounds. And our choice of reading material is left to our own discretion, as long as it's not in the vein of porn or hate literature. And I've got an active mind- I can't abide enforced boredom- staring at an empty desk or wall until it's time to walk around, or something happens that requires my attention. So reading, writing, or sketching is good- it keeps me awake and alert, helps time go by, and keeps my mind from turning on itself with brooding and the like.

So is there an E-Hell approved way to ask this person why he needs to make the same comments every time he comes into my office, or ask that the comments stop?

alkira6:
"Yes, so you've said repeatedly." With a nice but rather blank and unfocused half smile directed at his left ear.

Kind of makes them uncomfortable enough to scoot along, but nothing that is in iteself rude.

Luci:
Just ignore the comment and ask him to have a nice evening or whatever you do in ordinary courtesy passing encounters.

I had a few intermediate school age kids that couldn't help but comment on the way I piled books, what I was wearing, etc. I just never responded to the comments after the first couple of times they were repeated and all went well. There is a clerk at a store I frequent who used to do something similar - she still does with other customers - but it works with her. I am always pleasant.

I think it is their version of trying to make small talk (which I hate) more personal.


--- Quote from: alkira6 on March 18, 2013, 02:18:29 PM ---"Yes, so you've said repeatedly." With a nice but rather blank and unfocused half smile directed at his left ear.

Kind of makes them uncomfortable enough to scoot along, but nothing that is in iteself rude.

--- End quote ---

I think that is a little harsh, but I might resort to that after a few tries with my method.

alkira6:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on March 18, 2013, 02:22:57 PM ---Just ignore the comment and ask him to have a nice evening or whatever you do in ordinary courtesy passing encounters.

I had a few intermediate school age kids that couldn't help but comment on the way I piled books, what I was wearing, etc. I just never responded to the comments after the first couple of times they were repeated and all went well. There is a clerk at a store I frequent who used to do something similar - she still does with other customers - but it works with her. I am always pleasant.

I think it is their version of trying to make small talk (which I hate) more personal.


--- Quote from: alkira6 on March 18, 2013, 02:18:29 PM ---"Yes, so you've said repeatedly." With a nice but rather blank and unfocused half smile directed at his left ear.

Kind of makes them uncomfortable enough to scoot along, but nothing that is in iteself rude.

--- End quote ---

I think that is a little harsh, but I might resort to that after a few tries with my method.

--- End quote ---

Fair enough  ;)  I tend to veer on the harsh side if unchecked, so all's well.

Oh Joy:

--- Quote from: Amanita on March 18, 2013, 02:11:57 PM ---...
So is there an E-Hell approved way to ask this person why he needs to make the same comments every time he comes into my office, or ask that the comments stop?

--- End quote ---

How would you respond if the topic weren't related to you?  If his schtick was to always comment on the weather/gas prices/the arrangement of magazines in the lobby?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version