Author Topic: How to stop repetitive/unnecessary comments?  (Read 4001 times)

that_one_girl

Re: How to stop repetitive/unnecessary comments?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »
Maybe he's socially awkward and his therapist is encouraging him to try to interact with people?

Anyhow I wouldn't worry that he will tell people you have OCD.  For a security guard, the kind of attention to detail and precision that comes with mild OCD is an asset. 

You can just tell him, "It's part of my routine.", "Yes this is my favorite book"  or "All day, every day."  Just pick a favorite response and keep using that.  Eventually he will get bored with the same interaction every day and even if he does not desist, you'll know exactly what to say and eventually it'll just be part of your work routine.

BarensMom

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 08:45:49 AM »
Buy more copies of the same book and place them side by side on the desk. >:D

BeagleMommy

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
Crank:  I see that book is there on the left again, blah, blah, blah.
OP:  Actually, it was precisely 1/10000 of an inch closer to the center yesterday, but my calculations might be slightly skewed because this desk pitches at a 30 degree angle.

No?

Camarynne

• Nowadays, friendship is global. :)
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
Make a 5x5 grid on a piece of paper and randomly scatter his repetitive comments in this grid. Every day mark off which one he uses.  When you have 5 in a row...BINGO! Treat yourself to a special little something. Not only will his comments no longer bother you, you will look forward to seeing him. Maybe lol...anyway it will help a little.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Truth, my friend, is somewhere out there, just waiting to be released.
But before you embark on your great endeavor, know that you'll never return to peace.
-- Charles Edward Jaggard

that_one_girl

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
Make a 5x5 grid on a piece of paper and randomly scatter his repetitive comments in this grid. Every day mark off which one he uses.  When you have 5 in a row...BINGO! Treat yourself to a special little something. Not only will his comments no longer bother you, you will look forward to seeing him. Maybe lol...anyway it will help a little.

This is awesome!  You win the internet!

JacklynHyde

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
I say you should start singing the chorus of KC and the Sunshine Band's "That's the Way I Like It", perhaps with disco flourishes (definitely with the "uh-huh"s.  It will get the point across and possibly dilute the social awkwardness that seems to be on his part.