Author Topic: Should I correct a misunderstanding about a diagnosis?  (Read 2688 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: Should I correct a misunderstanding about a diagnosis?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 04:19:43 AM »
Well first of all, I think its funny to call it Inflammatory Arthritis  :P (the suffix "itis" means inflamed - so bronchitis is inflammation of the bronchials, laryngitis is inflammation of the larynx, arthritis is inflammation of the arthos (aka joints), etc).

Heh...I hadn't even thought of that, but it is kind of silly. It must be extra, extra inflammatory.  :D

I had to google this. Arthritis due to wear and tear/breakdown of cartilage is called "non-inflammatory arthritis" whereas condtions such as RA, Reiters, ankylosing spondylitis, (and a whole other list of conditions that are systemic autoimmune disorders that cause arthritis) are called "inflammatory arthritis."  You're right though, in that it doesn't make sense because the suffix -itis means inflammation. Maybe it's because the inflammation in non-inflammatory arthritis comes after the fact, ie after the wear and tear and broken down cartilage, and is a result, whereas the inflamation in inflammatory arthritis is the CAUSE of the arthritis. I am only guessing and probably not making sense.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »
It would be a disservice to others with the disease and misleading to call it by another name and not include the common name. I don't mean you should be preachy or pedantic about it, but I don't think it is rude to say something like, "This is RA, which is different from osteoarthritis." Then if asked explain a bit more, but still briefly.

I am shocked that people are not aware of the difference, if only because of the ads. I only know one person with it, met one person who takes the shots and is a cyclist, one person who was being tested for it, and am related to a child with it (but never met her - first cousin twice removed).

I hope you can get it under control soon!

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
You could say that you have either Rheumatoid or Psoiratic (you know, like Phil Mickelson, the golfer?) Arthritis and it is different than the typical Osteoarthritis that you may be familiar with, as it affects more than just joints, but it also affects your etc. etc etc.

NutMeg

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »
Well first of all, I think its funny to call it Inflammatory Arthritis  :P (the suffix "itis" means inflamed - so bronchitis is inflammation of the bronchials, laryngitis is inflammation of the larynx, arthritis is inflammation of the arthos (aka joints), etc).

Heh...I hadn't even thought of that, but it is kind of silly. It must be extra, extra inflammatory.  :D

Lol. This made me chuckle. You're such a special snowflake that you have to have the extra inflammatory arthritis!
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson