Author Topic: Expecting people to do things on "Your/Their Schedule"  (Read 1950 times)

QueenofAllThings

Re: Expecting people to do things on "Your/Their Schedule"
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 03:38:41 PM »
I have the EXACT problem with my boys and packing. I can't pack the car 'til I have everything ready to go, and I am not about to pack the car at midnight. Please don't suggest that I leave them to do it - they are hopeless at it and I'd just end up doing it anyway. They are fond of 'forgetting' things and just tossing them loose in the car - which makes me crazy.

They also like to wait until 10 pm to ask for homework help/printer ink/poster board.  ::)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »
It depends on what needs to be done. When I ask the kids to do the dishes it needs to be done before I start dinner. I hate trying to cook in a messy kitchen. When I tell them to clean their room it means sometime between after school Friday and bedtime Sunday. I don't care when they do it but they know if it doesn't get done there will be a consequence.

Generally when I say I'm going to do something I do it ASAP, if there will be a delay I'll let the person know. I've learned that with DH "I'll do it" might mean in the next 5 minutes or the next 3 days but it WILL get done. I don't nag him, ever. If something is urgent I'll ask him "Can you do this now/today?" or I'll do it myself.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »
"DD, if you need help packing, I am available right now. If you prefer to pack later tonight, you will need to do it by yourself."

This.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »
They also like to wait until 10 pm to ask for homework help/printer ink/poster board.  ::)

Boy-oh-boy-oh-boy! That drove me insane. Especially when you ask them before dinner (at a decent hour) if the homework was done, or if there was anything that they needed for school tomorrow.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »

Boy-oh-boy-oh-boy! That drove me insane. Especially when you ask them before dinner (at a decent hour) if the homework was done, or if there was anything that they needed for school tomorrow.

I'm a "mean mom" about this. My kids get ready for bed at 9, lights out at 10. They very rarely forget to do homework but when they do it's "Do you want to get up early or do it at lunch recess?" I've let them stay up a little bit late if they couldn't get the work done by 9. (Like if we've been out for a family function)

The other night DD comes to me at 7pm on Sunday:
"Mom, I have a ton of math, I might have to stay up late."
"You've had since 4pm Friday to work on that, bedtime is 9."
"But my teacher doesn't accept late work!"
"Then you'd better get started."

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »

Do you know why we now have 24-hour supermarkets? It's for the night before Food Technology (or Catering Studies or Domestic Economy or whatever the current name is - cooking classes at school) when at 10 p.m. your child says 'Mum, I need a live lobster, a ripe persimmon and an ounce of edible gold leaf.'

Or, given the quality of our local supermarket, it might as well be those ingredients. 'I can give you a can of sardines, an apple and some green food colouring. If you had told me yesterday...'

I have fought another parent at 7:50 a.m. for the last pot of creme fraiche.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »
I have fought another parent at 7:50 a.m. for the last pot of creme fraiche.

LOL! You are an awesome MOM!  ;D