General Etiquette > Life...in general

Other people's illnesses will not make me feel better. Update #17 #24

(1/9) > >>

Nemesis:
Long time lurker, and haven't posted in a long while.

Background
I am currently in my second trimester of pregnancy. It has been difficult with me being in and out of the hospital. Currently, I am being hospitalised once again. I have, of course, very worrying problems and I am very anxious about whether I will be able to carry this little one to fill term.

Issue
My mother seems to think it is fine to go around telling everyone she knows about my health issues. She also solicits stories of other people's difficult pregnancies and comes to tell about so-and-so who was on bed rest for x months and gave birth to twins! And then there was another-so-and-so who...well, you get the picture.

This morning, I had enough and snapped. My defense was that I had just received a pretty serious visit from my doctor, plus I had very little sleep during the night because hospital beds just aren't as comfy as your own bed.

Anyway, I said (sarcastically) that listening to other people's problems just make me feel soooo much better. The amazing thing was that my mother did not get it! She agreed very happily with me and almost launched into another story. That was when I, incredulously, completely snapped and told her that if you had a dying child, listening to stories about other people having dying children does not make it better one bit.

She stopped after that.

How rude was I? Should I just have continued bean-dipping?

Shoo:
Not rude at all.  Your mother needed a kick in the pants, and you gave it to her.  She stopped, right?  That's the important thing.  Now stop beating yourself up about it and get some rest.  :)

Calistoga:
Bean dipping is fine for mild issues, but this is something that is a pretty glaringly bad idea. Letting your mom know it bothers you was important- if you just keep bean dipping, she probably won't get the picture.

MissNomer:
First off, you didn't ask for them but *hugs*. I'm sorry you're having a difficult pregnancy. Ideally, you would have calmly told your mother that you didn't care to hear about other people's difficult pregnancies and beandipped, but under the circumstances I think you can be forgiven. I would stop using sarcasm for your mother though as she does not seem to get it.

mmswm:

--- Quote from: Shoo on March 18, 2013, 10:15:09 PM ---Not rude at all.  Your mother needed a kick in the pants, and you gave it to her.  She stopped, right?  That's the important thing.  Now stop beating yourself up about it and get some rest.  :)

--- End quote ---

This, exactly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version