Author Topic: wish they had a manual for this...  (Read 2466 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
wish they had a manual for this...
« on: March 19, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »
I'm sure we've all come across this - why don't they have an instruction booklet for X or Y?

For me, DS is 26 and I've raised him on my own for the most part. Over the years there have been "guy" issues that I didn't have answers for... anyway, this question came up and as he suffers from all sorts of depression and social anxiety and doesn't have friends we don't really have anyone to ask this question.

He wears docker-type slacks daily. he walks a LOT (he doesn't drive and he rarely takes the bus). we've both noticed that the crotch area gets worn out really quickly. I don't know if it's because the slacks are cheaper quality, because he is walking "wrong", because he is overweight or some other reason.

ANyone come across this?

anyone have other issues that you wish came with a manual?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
Re: wish they had a manual for this...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »
Ha, this happens to my DH's jeans (including the fancy expensive ones). I think it's from walking a lot, but he is convinced it's the way he sits.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »
It's from the friction of the fabric rubbing together.

Unfortunately, perfectly normal, albeit annoying as crap.  My DH, brother and I all have the same problem. It doesn't matter what brand, fabric, or how expensive the fabric.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MrTango

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »
Yeah, it just happens with pants.  I'm overweight and used to walk around a lot when I was a security guard in college.

One thing I found was that for some reason, wearing boxers instead of briefs (or even just a pair of gym shorts under my pants) really cut down on chafing and seemed to make the pants last longer. (not sure if that's TMI)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:06:12 PM »
oh cool, so it's not a DS issue....

Thanks Mr Tango, i'll tell him about that and see what he says.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
Yep, walking a lot causes it.

If he can stand the feel of the patches, when he buys new pants, put iron on patches on the inside of the pants at the point of the thighs where they wear the most and they will last longer. The patch reinforces the fabric and makes them last longer. Also works on the knees of little kids pants.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »
One of the things I've noticed, as a lifelong larger person, that if my pants are loose enough to 'move' when I move, the crotch fabric doesn't rub against itself, and the pants last a lot longer.  I have nice comfy loose-fitting linen pants that I've had for over a year now, with little to no crotch wear. 

Jeans (which I don't own) aren't usually worn that loose, so the friction rubs holes where the thighs rub together.   I see it all the time.

Arrynne

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
When you say the crotch, do you mean the upper, inner thigh?  That can be caused by thigh rubbing.  Happens to anyone with thick thighs, whether due to fat or muscle.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »
It sounds like the issue is that he walks a lot.  He can mitigate it somewhat by getting pants that fit more loosely around the hips and in the crotch, because that will cut down on the friction, and the heavier he is, the faster they'll wear, but if he walks all the time it's just going to happen.

Virg

deadbody

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »
As a fat guy who has this happen a lot as well I will double the slightly looser pants reccomendation.  It happens to us all, but with slightly looser pants there is more give and they tend to last longer.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 11:33:38 AM »
When you say the crotch, do you mean the upper, inner thigh?  That can be caused by thigh rubbing.  Happens to anyone with thick thighs, whether due to fat or muscle.
yes. say right below the seams on the inner thighs.

and thanks eveyrone for your help.

Carotte

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
You got some good sugestion so I'm going to answer the second part:

I wish there was a "you're 18* now, here's what you have to do!"
With things like - how to manage a bank account, - how to pay taxes, -what to do concerning health and health plans and stuff like that, - important documents you had no idea about and -important stuff you never knew existed.
I wish the government would have sent me this one when I was 18, I'll even take it now.

example: My parents don't really care and don't really seem to want to help me or realize it's new stuff for me.
I while ago I told my dad I wanted him to come with me to my bank, see what I had account-wise and what I should do with it ( put it in type A or B.. the kind of thing he's supposed to know and I thought should help me with). Never happened, I had to ask my SO to explain things for me.

Is there a "being an adult for dummies" out there?

* or whatever legal age in your country.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »
Carotte wrote:

"Is there a "being an adult for dummies" out there?"

It's personified in your local reference librarian.  I can't tell people enough that the library is a great place to learn about whatever you need.  I guarantee that if you go there and ask, "I'm 18, what now?" and really listen to the response, you'll get pointed to some very useful things.

That said, I think a class on this stuff would be a huge boon to high school seniors.  They try to cover this sort of thing with FACS (family and consumer science, which is the modern name for home economics class) but it's often hit-or-miss.

Virg

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »
You got some good sugestion so I'm going to answer the second part:

I wish there was a "you're 18* now, here's what you have to do!"
With things like - how to manage a bank account, - how to pay taxes, -what to do concerning health and health plans and stuff like that, - important documents you had no idea about and -important stuff you never knew existed.
I wish the government would have sent me this one when I was 18, I'll even take it now.

example: My parents don't really care and don't really seem to want to help me or realize it's new stuff for me.
I while ago I told my dad I wanted him to come with me to my bank, see what I had account-wise and what I should do with it ( put it in type A or B.. the kind of thing he's supposed to know and I thought should help me with). Never happened, I had to ask my SO to explain things for me.

Is there a "being an adult for dummies" out there?

* or whatever legal age in your country.
oh absolutely. said DS of the worn slacks above, often says "wouldn't it have made more sense to teach us this stuff (banks, how to read a contract, how to fill in a form), even if it would mean a little less history or math?"

I totally agree.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »
I've been saying that for years!  Since high school in fact. We need some sort of "how to be well functioning adult" class. It can start with simple things - how to open a bank account and write a check, and how to file basic taxes, onto things like what things a person needs to do when they move (change mailing address, update drivers license, get electricity, etc), basic home repairs like changing a fuse or light switch and using a plunger, and more advanced things like starting retirement accounts and negotiating (for a raise, when buying a car, etc).