Author Topic: My volunteer work sucked... how to deal  (Read 3928 times)

BuffaloFang

Re: My volunteer work sucked... how to deal
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
But you should continue like nothing's wrong. It wasn't a personal slight against you. I've been a graphic designer for 15 years. Clients somehow almost never choose the design I like best or am most proud of. They have their own likes/dislikes and agenda. In a creative profession such as graphic designer, or singer, actor, painter... you have to grow a thicker skin. You shouldn't be embarrassed, though. Taste is subjective so "better" is only in the eye of the beholder not an absolute.

I agree with this.  I've had my work "redone" by other people before, and it doesn't feel good.  Sometimes what you envision just isn't what your clients want at all, and it's almost always a failing of the client to communicate what they're looking for.  Maybe someone closer to the actual event (and with an inside understanding on the feel of the event) did the other design.

Also, I agree that 7 times out of 10 clients tend to choose the design I like the least out of all of the options I've given them.  There's a bit of a gap between what looks awesome and what suits their needs (ie, "I have these 30 callouts I need to incorporate!!  They're all important!!!". So don't take it personally.

Lynn2000

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 04:19:28 PM »
I can see how this would be hurtful and discouraging. I would be curious about the backstory behind the decision; but I might have to acknowledge that I wasn't really in a position to know/ask how that decision was made. I would probably just "lay low" for a while, participating less than usual due to being "busy with other things" or whatever.

Then if the situation came up again I would be sure to ask for clarification: "I would be happy to make a poster for the organization; however, last time I was asked to make one, it ended up not being used. I'm not sure why, as I never received any feedback about it. I would really like to make a poster that suits the organization's needs, so I would appreciate being given a chance to revise my design if the first version isn't suitable. Or at least, I would like to be told in advance that it won't be used."

Then if you end up working on another poster that doesn't get used and you feel like you're wasting your time, you know what to say if they ask again--sorry, too busy.
~Lynn2000

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 09:57:29 PM »
I can see how this would be hurtful and discouraging. I would be curious about the backstory behind the decision; but I might have to acknowledge that I wasn't really in a position to know/ask how that decision was made. I would probably just "lay low" for a while, participating less than usual due to being "busy with other things" or whatever.

Then if the situation came up again I would be sure to ask for clarification: "I would be happy to make a poster for the organization; however, last time I was asked to make one, it ended up not being used. I'm not sure why, as I never received any feedback about it. I would really like to make a poster that suits the organization's needs, so I would appreciate being given a chance to revise my design if the first version isn't suitable. Or at least, I would like to be told in advance that it won't be used."

Then if you end up working on another poster that doesn't get used and you feel like you're wasting your time, you know what to say if they ask again--sorry, too busy.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  I do a LOT of volunteer work and get tapped to do promotional materials pretty often and I would be pretty irritated if I took time out of my schedule to make something and then it wasn't used and no one told me about it.  That's pretty dismissive, not only of your product but of your time. 

I really like Lynn2000's wording on what to say to them. 

gollymolly2

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »
I wouldn't say anything.  I would walk away, as Zilla proposed, but with even less explanation.  If I was attached to the cause I would find another charity in the same area, and work for it.
This was handled so poorly from the get-go, and you were treated so dismissively, OP, I have serious doubts about this outfit's ability to handle money -- as well as their beneficiaries.

What about this suggests they are bad with money or their beneficiaries?

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 11:13:57 PM »
I wouldn't say anything.  I would walk away, as Zilla proposed, but with even less explanation.  If I was attached to the cause I would find another charity in the same area, and work for it.
This was handled so poorly from the get-go, and you were treated so dismissively, OP, I have serious doubts about this outfit's ability to handle money -- as well as their beneficiaries.

What about this suggests they are bad with money or their beneficiaries?

Yes, I'd be careful of making that leap. Whether it was a mistake, a miscommunication, or maybe a political thing (maybe the group's biggest donor saw rival's poster design and fell madly in love with it), that doesn't necessarily mean the organization is a mismanaged mess. Believe me, I'm involved with organizations that run like clockwork but have alienated many volunteers, and others that are seat-of-the-pants run but treat their volunteers like gold.

It was actually an organization in the latter category in which I got into a situation similar to the OP's. They were putting on an event and were looking for a clever name for it. I came up with one, and when it was passed on to Woman in Charge, she loved it. I think she even said something like, "We have a winner!" When the event was officially announced, it had a different name.

I was hurt, but I figured one of two things had happened: She'd forgotten my idea, or she'd thought it was a joke (it was kind of out there). I may yet walk away from that organization, but for reasons totally unrelated to that incident.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady