Author Topic: Proper storage for chicken?  (Read 594 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Proper storage for chicken?
« on: March 19, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
So - I admit I've been watching waaay too many episodes of Restaurant Impossible the last few weeks.  Several times the chef (Robert Irvine) has chastised restaurant owners for storing their chicken breasts in  their own juices.

I am confused by this as that's how my chicken comes in it's package from the grocery all the time!

Should I be taking it out of the package and drying it off or something?  Once I open that package is it still good until it's sell by date?  I tried googling for the answer, but got a lot of generic answers, so I figured I'd come to the place where the experts convene.   ;)

Pleas, bestow your knowledge upon me...

Thanks!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

ITSJUSTME

Re: Proper storage for chicken?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
I think he's actually angry because the chicken should not be exuding any juices if it's fresh - all that liquid is a sign it's been in the fridge waaaaay too long.  He also gets upset when cooked and raw meats are stored together or even close - danger of cross contamination.  Chicken should be stored in the coldest part of the fridge and only for a couple of days, otherwise it should be frozen solid and kept in the freezer.

eta ooops - I read this as Kitchen Nightmares and Chef Ramsay - but it's the same theory, chicken does not stay in great condition in the fridge for very long.

EMuir

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
I think that sometimes those chefs are a bit too paranoid too.  There was one show where they were thawing chicken pieces in water.  A chef freaked out at the staff for doing that.  And then he said "No matter how well you cook that chicken it will still kill people!"  Er... not unless it had been thawing for a few days. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
I also think there's a functional difference between "one or two chicken breasts you're going to be cooking all at once" and "a constant revolving supply of chicken breasts in which the meat itself is used up appropriately but the juice just sits there for weeks as fresh meat is dumped into it."  There are opportunities for contamination in large-scale culinary enterprises which you just don't have to worry about in your home kitchen.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 05:54:15 PM »
If I get chicken, it's always cooked that day unless its going to be frozen. DH loves chicken, but hates touching it beyond taking it from the package and putting it on a tray. So I'm the one who makes chicken casserole and roast chicken in the Dutch oven.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
I also think there's a functional difference between "one or two chicken breasts you're going to be cooking all at once" and "a constant revolving supply of chicken breasts in which the meat itself is used up appropriately but the juice just sits there for weeks as fresh meat is dumped into it."  There are opportunities for contamination in large-scale culinary enterprises which you just don't have to worry about in your home kitchen.

POD!

joraemi -- I think that I saw the same episode that you did. That chicken did look gross.

In your own personal kitchen, thawing a one meal serving in the fridge is the way to go. Quick de-frost? I've done it in a sink of cold water with no detriment to the eaters.

Storage? I think 3 days in the fridge for store bought unfrozen chicken is the most I would do.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »
I will store mine, newly purchased, for a day or two in the fridge. If i don't use it by then, it goes into the freezer. I like to open the pack and wrap them separately, but when i do that, it immediately goes into the fridge.

I think you're fine as long as you only keep it in teh fridge, in the package it came in, fora couple of days. I also do the in cold water defrost and have never had any issue.

Minmom3

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »

And health department LAWS...  And lawsuits if somebody gets sick.  A restaurant is a commercial enterprise, with health code rules that MUST be followed.  A private kitchen at home is not. 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Coralreef

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:44:58 AM »
True, hygiene rules for a restaurant are way more strict than a private kitchen.  How many of us cook with the dog waiting for that dropped tasty morsel?

Chicken, I keep a day in the fridge or cook right away. 

[/right

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:04 AM »
Thanks for the input!  I wondered if I had somehow missed some uber secret chicken handling rule all these years. Apparently not!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~