Author Topic: Farewell Gift Suggestions?  (Read 590 times)

MerryCat

Farewell Gift Suggestions?
« on: March 19, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »
I don't think this is an etiquette question so much as a looking for suggestions thing, so I'm going to put it in the cofee break folder.

We just found out that our neighbor down the hall is going to be moving to a seniors' home. Although I'm not super close with her, I have enjoyed chatting with her off and on over the five or so years we've lived here. We bonded over our cats (although she's going to have to give hers away now :( ), and she gave us a lovely card when we were married. I'd really like to give "Jane" a card or a little gift, to let her know we'll miss her. I'm really rubbish at picking these things out though.

Any suggestions what  I could get her?

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Farewell Gift Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
Maybe a journal?  Even if she doesn't write about her life, she can use it for lists.  It's amazing how lists that you don't think is important at the time can turn into memories.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
What I got from my last job: a Visa prepaid card, earmarked for buying things for my new home or office.

Snooks

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »
How about a pot plant for her new place?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »
I really like rose red's suggestion . . . a nice notebook type of thing along with a really cool pen is a great idea.

Maybe some stamps and stationary? but I like rose red's idea better.

Knick-knack keepsake? not so favorable for her downsizing.

Maybe send her a "Welcome to your new Home" plant or flowers to her new location?

heartmug

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »
I think the suggestion of stamps and pretty notecards/stationery is a great idea.  And promise to write to her!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

MerryCat

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 10:11:48 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll stop by the stationary store after work this week and see if I can't find something along those lines for her. I was thinking of including a note saying that we'll miss her and with my email address so that she can keep in touch. I also like the idea of potted plants. Maybe a cactus so it's hard to kill?

Margo

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:20:08 AM »
On the plant - what does she have in her home now? If she has a lot of plants, then she may well be taking some, and have limited space for more. If she doesn't have any, she may not welcome even an easy-care one.

What does she have in her garden? When my grandmother had to move to a hospice, we bought a bird feeder which attached to the outside of her window - it meant she could see the birds coming to the feeder when she was stuck in bed or in a chair, didn't clutter up her room, and the carers were fine with refilling it as necessary.  My grandmother had always had a bird table in her garden and this was a way of continuing that for her. 

What would you give anyone else who moved home? A small bottle of champagne to toast the new place, flowers or chocolates - anything small ad edible/disposable so it doesn't create clutter for someone who is probably downsizing would be good.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »
I was going to agree that since they are downsizing, nothing that would take up to much space.  Stationary and stamps might be nice because it is signaling that you would like to keep in touch.  Or like other said...do you notice she has any hobbies?  Like if she likes to garden, is there some little indoor garden thingy?

MindsEye

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 11:41:34 AM »
This is not necessarily a physical thing...  but when my great-aunt needed to move into assisted living, she said that the greatest "gift" that she was given during that transition period was the gift of not having to worry about what would happen to her beloved cat or how it was managing without her.  A niece not only helped find the cat a good home, but also arranged that the new owners would send my great-aunt regular updates on how the cat was doing and photos of the cat at holiday times.

Maybe since you and your neighbor have bonded over your cats, you could ask if she would like your help in re-homing them?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
Once when a co worker was getting married and traveling to another state to live we gave her a 'junk drawer' to take with her.  We decorated a box and labeled it "Junk Drawer".  In it we put scratch paper, pencils, pens, tape, stamps, a tablet, rubber bands, safety pins and other handy stuff that you might find in your junk drawer at home, and might need, but wouldn't have handy.  I still think it was a nifty idea and she liked it.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
Would you be able to get the address of where she is moving?  I think receiving a card from you a few weeks after she moves would be very much appreciated

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 06:40:38 PM »
My go to farewell gift is a basket of pampering goodies customized for that person.  I get most of my stuff from the dollar store or on sale
  • Candles or a small battery powered air freshener
  • Chocolates/candies/ cookies
  • Music CD's or audiobooks
  • Postcards or pictures to remind them of home
  • Yummy smelling lotions
  • If they are crafty I'll get a GC to their local yarn or craft store

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »
A small photo frame with a picture of her cats?  Or an electronic photo frame with a bunch of photos?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario