Author Topic: Can you hurry up with that favour you're doing me?  (Read 2109 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Can you hurry up with that favour you're doing me?
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:21:40 AM »
I don't know a polite way to ask.

I need something for my very small business, let's call it a Widget. It was Number One on my list, ie I could use it yesterday. I was chatting with friends on the weekend, and someone asked me if I had any Widgets. I said no, but it's TOP priority on my list right now. I added that I didn't really know how to go about making a widget, or getting one made, but that it was first on my list for Monday get done.

My friend Amanda piped up, "Oh I could make a Widget for you!!" I didn't know that Widgets were part of what she does, so I definitely hadn't been hinting. I replied, "Oh really? That's fantastic!! Are you sure?" She said of course, and that Widget-making is actually fun for her and very easy. She was offering it for free. (She's been a good friend, always willing to help out). We talked about it a bit more later over drinks, and at the end of the day I said, "Thanks, I'll send you the information for the widgets I need."

On Monday I emailed her to thank her and I sent her the info. She asked a few key questions about it, and I replied. But I haven't heard anything back yet. I think this is something that would likely take an hour or two max, and I have also offered her a service in return.

The thing is, I would like to find out what kind of time frame she is thinking of. I would like this in the next day or two, but I'm wondering if she was thinking more along the lines of "sometime in the next few weeks."  I now wish I'd specified, when she offered, that I need it this week (she did hear me say it was top priority) and that if she couldn't do that, it'd be fine and I'd pay for someone else to do it. I feel it's too late to say this now, seeing as I gratefully accepted her offer.

If I email her with, "How are those Widgets coming along?" it might sound a little pushy, since she is doing me a favour. But I can't think of a polite way to let her know that I need it now, and if she can't do it now, I'll have to pass on her offer. Suggestions?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Can you hurry up with that favour you're doing me?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:29:12 AM »
Hey Amanda, I just wanted to thank you again for offering to make me that widget. the thing is, I need it ASAP. If you can't get to it right away no sweat, I had been planning on purchasing one anyway, otherwise can you let me know when it will be ready?  I totally don't mean to push, I just need to get one sooner rather then later.

I'd say something like this - thanking her, and assuring her you have another methods of getting a widget.

Promise

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:46 AM »
Hi Galfriend, I so much appreciate your offter to make the widgets. However, we didn't set a deadline for the widgets. I need them by date/time. If you can't get it by then, that's ok, I'll try to figure it out myself. Just let me know so that I can figure out the rest of my deadline.. Or something like that. If she can't make the deadline, apologize for not even thinking of telling her the deadline. Offer to reimburse her any costs if you need to finish it.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:12:59 AM »
Ok, thanks for your advice. I will let you know how it goes! She's super nice and unlikely to be offended, but I do feel that I have to be cognizant of the fact that she is doing me a favour!

magician5

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 05:18:52 AM »
Buy the widget now. Say nothing to your friend. Wnen/if she makes one for you, IF it's suitable, sell the first one on eBay. Still say nothing to your friend.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:05:45 AM »
I would ask her "I can stop by and pick up the widget this afternoon or tomorrow morning, which would you prefer?" Then she knows she needs to have it done by whatever time she agrees to OR she can respond "Sorry but I won't be able to have it finished by then. Does next Monday work?" and you're free to say "Thank you for offering to make it, unfortunately I need it right away. I found a local widget factory so I'll give them a call and see if they have any available now."

CakeEater

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »
Hey Amanda, I just wanted to thank you again for offering to make me that widget. the thing is, I need it ASAP. If you can't get to it right away no sweat, I had been planning on purchasing one anyway, otherwise can you let me know when it will be ready?  I totally don't mean to push, I just need to get one sooner rather then later.

I'd say something like this - thanking her, and assuring her you have another methods of getting a widget.

I think this would be completely fine.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:36:41 AM »
Buy the widget now. Say nothing to your friend. Wnen/if she makes one for you, IF it's suitable, sell the first one on eBay. Still say nothing to your friend.

Hmm, I like this idea.

I still heard nothing this evening so I've sent her a quick email that said, "So, any progress on the widget? People are asking for them and I don't have any! If you don't have time that's totally fine, just let me know, thanks!" (And I added some extra lighthearted non-widget-related chatter that is normal for us).

I think I'll just go ahead and order some widgets right away though. It's a consumable item, so if she comes through I can still use hers later.