General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

I won't shake her hand

(1/4) > >>

Last_Dance:
At the last elections, we got  New Party in Parliament: its members pride themselves in their intransigence and always going on about being "part of the people", not being professional politicians and how that automatically makes them better and what a "revolutionary movement" they are. 

The other day, as they were leaving Parliament, they were approached by another member of Parliament from a different  political party, who came to introduce herself.
Well, one of the members from New Party  ignored her outstretched hand and walked away without a word - at first. Then she went to her Facebook and basically gloated about refusing to shake the other lady's hand, saying things like "Did you think I was going to shake your hand and say it's a pleasure? Because no, it's not a pleasure."

I have no words.

CrochetFanatic:
I guess I can understand the feelings behind the actions, but that doesn't make them appropriate. 

Winterlight:
Methinks Ms. Facebook has no idea how politics actually work- you have to build alliances. Way to burn a bridge.

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: CrochetFanatic on March 20, 2013, 05:56:39 AM ---I guess I can understand the feelings behind the actions, but that doesn't make them appropriate.

--- End quote ---

Ditto.

If it wasn't a pleasure, no need to say it was, just shake the person's hand and say hello. Definitely don't go gloating about it on Facebook.

Reika:

--- Quote from: Winterlight on March 20, 2013, 08:55:12 AM ---Methinks Ms. Facebook has no idea how politics actually work- you have to build alliances. Way to burn a bridge.

--- End quote ---

Exactly. They didn't have to say nice to meet you, but they could have politely said "Hi, Ms. X."

And bragging about it on Facebook is stupid. Sure, there's going to be people that say "You are so awesome", there'll probably be plenty more not saying anything, but thinking "Wow, that guy's a jerk, I wonder how bad he's going to be in his office?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version