Author Topic: Have to make an unpleasant recommendation (sorry, long)  (Read 7160 times)

Cutenoob

Re: Have to make an unpleasant recommendation (sorry, long)
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 06:26:29 AM »
I had a meeting with Bossman this morning, highlighting my concerns.  Somehow magically I was able to keep my emotions out of it (It's really hard to hide that someone is driving you around the twist) then we brought M in. 

We discussed the review I'd written (thank you David H for the awesome wording suggestions) and all the issues I'd brought up.  M, in a surprising act of professional Darwinism, ARGUED with me.  Bossman pointed out that all the issues I was bringing up (with dates where I Could recall them) were serious and legitimate issues.

She's been officially demoted to just cleaning parts, which has its own set of details to be mindful of.  Stuff needs to be cleaned a certain way, parts need to be "lapped" (smoothed out with emery cloth on some faces) and cleaned and dried a certain way, then put away in an organised fashion, in the correct places.  She has a month to master that and if, after the month, I'm not satisfied, she will be let go.

I feel like a real jerk having to have done it, but there are safety and cost issues to bear in mind and those things are part of my job.  As her supervisor, it's also my job to ensure she is doing her job correctly.
Good job on the write-up/meeting. That sounds GREAT. And she even argued about it, in front of you and Bossman? Hello, termination paperwork!
I do want to warn you about "cleaning parts". You state that "cleaned a certain way, parts need to be 'lapped' [smoothed out emery cloth] and month to master". Now - me personally am asking - is this procedure documented anywhere? Or is it a step-by-step you've created for the crew? Reason I ask this is that she may try the "it's not in the book" stunt. And "I need written instructions" (may slightly be true but if not brought forward by now it's worthless). Besides that, is this cleaning procedure VITAL to product quality? Will these parts be ready to use after cleaning (or meant to be reused?)
If these parts are to be re-used after the cleaning, I'd personally not trust her. By now she'd have been gone and only allowed to sweep the floors if anything. I suggest that you create an extra task for a crew member to 'double check' her work. (a person you trust at least). Create a checklist of all the possible parts to move through her area (hose, gasket, pipe, doohicky) and have person go oversee the quality of the cleaned parts. You will build documentation with this.
Actually - if boss DOES want her gone, try the above. And you'd have to have a person you trust ultimately (or your own self) to do this, as it's building ammo for her termination. You may have to create a whole new procedure for this, let it roll, see if it works at all and or catches her, then decide, "oh well, let's drop that kthxbye".
Plus, building this against her: she files for unemployment, she won't win. Terminate her w/o rehire eligibility, and no severance pay.
I wish you good luck, and your compassion..much more than I have.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
My dh is one of those who takes price in his job and gets so frustrated when he has to cover the butts of those who do not.

Can I ask a question?  Whatever happened to the ninety day probation period when hired?  This seems to have gone out the window.

I remember always being hired under the ninety day rule and after ninety days, I would always have a review.   Of course, I was always kept on, but there were many who were not in various jobs I have held.  There are too many people out there today who are looking for jobs who are willing and able to do a good job if given the chance.

I cannot understand keeping someone for two years that is clearly not doing their job and now you are even giving her another chance?
Doesn't sound like good business to me, especially in the type of environment you are talking about.

learningtofly

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »
Don't feel bad.  This is a safety and a money issue.  You can't have her wasting money and you can't have her carelessness hurting employees.  You need to be careful and detail oriented in QC.  She is not and I'm willing to bet she doesn't do a good job on parts cleaning because it's boring as well.  She has dug her hole and has no one to blame but herself.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »

I feel like a real jerk having to have done it, but there are safety and cost issues to bear in mind 
Don't.
There are two possible explanations:
1. She does not have the abilities needed to do the job. In which case, you would be denying employment to a capable employee, and keeping on doing her work for her, ad infinitum. The best solution is to have her move on to a job that's suited to her abilities, and then offer the job to someone who will do it properly.
2. She has the abilities to do the job, but chooses not to. In which case, SHE has done this to HERSELF.

Exactly!

The evaluation was upsetting for M but that can't be helped. Your honesty was in the best interest of literally everyone else. Not only in your company, but the companies of your clients as well!

Minmom3

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »
I have read and been told many times over the years that you can teach skills, but you really can't teach attitude.  Somebody with a bad attitude is never going to be a good fit, let alone be willing to admit to doing tasks improperly.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »
I saw your update, and while it's good, I suspect you'll be in this position again.

So start documenting now.

And start with end results:

Worker Guy 1 was nearly injured when a piece flew out during testing--Clueless had not installed the retaining clip. In addition to the potential for injury, we lost 20 minutes troubleshooting the problem, reassembling without error, and retesting.

Worker Guy 2 was nearly injured...

Worker Guy 3 was nearly injured...

We have thrown away approximately X feet in wastage of hoses because Clueless does not cut them to be straight and then trims away hose in an attempt to straighten the end. This also costs about 2 minutes per cut, 50 cuts per day. That's her time only; other workers on the job spend about X minutes redoing things or giving her the same instructions.

Of course, she's got a new assignment, but it'll have its own wastage (of materials, her time, your time, everyone else's time).

So get a notebook and start writing it down. But organize it so that it's not about what SHE did, but about the effect that she had.
--other people lost time
--materials were wasted
--fewer things were cleaned than is appropriate.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »
With regards to what kind of job she does cleaning and lapping and putting parts away:

Part of my job is to regularly go through our parts stock area...I'm one of the only people who knows where EVERYTHING goes, and part of my regular routine in the day is to take a stroll through parts stock and make sure things are where they should be, arranged as they should be (woe betide anyone I catch just dumping stuff in a bin...arrange it properly so it can be easily counted!) and because part of my job also includes receiving everything that comes in (I wasn't kidding when I said I wear a lot of hats at work!) I can easily make a list of part numbers to check daily.

If things aren't done to my satisfaction, M will be gone in a month.  It will take me that long to build enough documentation against her anyways, and if she slacks off on cleaning, she's handing it to me.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

ilrag

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 03:32:49 PM »
OP I just want to say that I work in a similar industry and you are in no way being too harsh with your evaluations of your coworker.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »
Cheyne, I'm similar to you in that I seldom *tell* people what to do but you're right...M keeps wandering off and has to be ordered back on task and I just don't have time for that nonsense.

"Does not follow directions"

"Has trouble keeping on task/maintaining focus/completing work without close supervision."

OP, I'm sorry that your boss is a wuss about this. You need to make it clear to him that keeping her is more expensive (i.e. in higher risk and your loss of productivity) than the momentary pain of letting her go.  As Dear Abby used to say "are you better of with him or without him?"
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 05:12:53 PM »
Cheyne, I'm similar to you in that I seldom *tell* people what to do but you're right...M keeps wandering off and has to be ordered back on task and I just don't have time for that nonsense.

"Does not follow directions"

"Has trouble keeping on task/maintaining focus/completing work without close supervision."

I think these are not concrete enough: "left her work assignment on this date and that date; did not return until directed to do so."