Author Topic: Silly Question--but still a question.....  (Read 3428 times)

CL32

Silly Question--but still a question.....
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »
Hello All,

I work in a small office in a public university. My cubicle is out in the open and people can see it when they walk through. My boss has always encouraged me to decorate my desk and "make it my own." Now for the silly question: I've always liked those calendars you see in factories/workplaces (like on sitcoms) that say " ___ days since last workplace injury" or somesuch and you change the number as the number of days changes. Of course, there aren't any "work place injuries" in my office, so it would be sort of a joke. I would probably always keep the day set to "1" or something. Would that be offensive/inappropriate for a visible space?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Silly Question--but still a question.....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
I don't think it is inappropriate at all.  I am superstitious and I myself would worry that the calendar would jinx your non injury stat byt someone getting hurt.   Of course, I could 'knock wood' to erase the possibility of that occurrence.    :P

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »
I have one that says "___ days since last Raptor attack" and a little sign with tear tabs that says "It's dangerous out there, here take one of these".

http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »
Not inappropriate at all. In fact, I find it amusing.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
Actually, if in the US, all work places have to keep accurate records of work place accidents.  From OSHA regulations "make periodic reports on, work-related deaths, injuries and illnesses other than minor injuries requiring only first aid treatment and which do not involve medical treatment, loss of consciousness, restriction of work or motion, or transfer to another job."

So if you decide to stand on your chair to hang up a photo, loose your balance, fall and break your ankle, your university has to record and report that accident.

Working in an office but for a engineering and construction company, I'm so used to seeing safety signs and other notices (we have safety signs for proper use of escalators and changing copy machine toner cartridges) I wouldn't see it as ironic. I'd see it and and wonder "huh, wonder what happened."  But if it was set to zero and maybe a cartoon character with a bandaged finger, I might see it as humor.

Anime, I like your poster.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 12:06:59 PM »
I don't think it is inappropriate at all.  I am superstitious and I myself would worry that the calendar would jinx your non injury stat byt someone getting hurt.   Of course, I could 'knock wood' to erase the possibility of that occurrence.    :P

I do see it as potentially causing problems. As Hmmmmm mentions, in some places the "____ since last workplace accident" has a very important and specific legal meaning. I can forsee an inspector going, "Oh, looks like your records are up to date, no pro ... WAIT A SEC! An accident happened YESTERDAY?!? Where's the documentation on THAT?" Hilarity, of a "here's your citation, next time I'm shutting you down," sort, occurs.

It's kind of like pouring your water into a beer bottle, and swigging from it driving down the highway. You're not actually doing something wrong ... but people may take it in the wrong way.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BeagleMommy

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »
I would check with your boss before hanging something like that.  Some workplaces have restrictions on what might be considered inappropriate humor (says the woman with the sign in her office that reads "Put on you big girl panties and deal with it")

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:34:58 PM »
Yup. I would go for the obviously jokey ones, like the raptor attack Anime Chick mentioned. Besides, it would be fun to play around with the numbers on that!

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »
I like it!  The raptor attack is fun.  I immediately thought of a calendar with Officer Buckle and Gloria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmViPSWwbPY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

We are very short of space and often eat at our desks.  One librarian was always being bothered during her lunch.  I hung a sign on the back of her monitor, with appropriate illustration, saying:
This is not the droid you are looking for. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mmswm

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 11:01:57 PM »
I had one that counted the days since the last T-Rex attack, with amusing drawing making fun of the poor, defenseless T-Rex because of his short little arms. Like somebody else said, I liked that one because it was obviously joking.  I'm not sure how I'd feel about one that looked more real.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
I wish the Raptor was an original idea, but I subscribe to Monday thru Friday on the Cheezeburger network and I knew I had to make one for my desk. Because there are some mornings where the Raptor comes out.

My latest 'dangerous out there' poster features Princess Celestia and each pull tab has a Pony character on it. I usually change it up depending on my mood. My next one after this one is gone is going to be Doctor Who. I also have a Game of Thrones one in the works too.
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Girly

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »
A construction or other 'labor' type job? I probably wouldn't do it.

A cubicle in a University setting? I'd think it was put there for what it was intended to be.... a way to take someone's mind off of an otherwise work-filled day.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
I think it's similar to my daughter's gift to me after basic training - she sent me a (fake) hand grenade, with a pin in it labelled "Complaint Department - take a number". It will never grace my desk, because not many at my office would appreciate the humor. I think you need to know your audience pretty well - that's also why I wouldn't have a Dilbert calendar at my desk, because I work with a lot of very uptight folks.

Margo

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »
I like the idea of it having a photo of something obviously improbably, such as a Dalek, Pterodactyl or Zombie.

(Rebecca  - I had a lawyer colleague who had one of those fake grenades - it was labelled "free legal advice - collect 2 tokens" and had one token attached...")

edited to add link to the one he had ... http://www.carbolicsmokeball.com/catalog/4867/Grenade_-_Free_Legal_Advice/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:54:00 PM by Margo »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 01:28:08 AM »
I like the "____ Days Since Last Raptor Attack."  Especially if you fill it in with an appropriate amount like "2,190,628,847."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~