Author Topic: What do I need to know about owning rats?  (Read 1199 times)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: What do I need to know about owning rats?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
Those look great, but I don't think I'm feeling quite that flush. The big one on Amazon was $250. It's something to save up for, though.

Carotte

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
You could try graiglist or something similar. I'm thinking that people left with a big empty cage might put it up for sale or donation..
You do have to check that the plastic 'tray' is in good condition and that the cage didn't rust.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 01:35:29 PM »
You could try graiglist or something similar. I'm thinking that people left with a big empty cage might put it up for sale or donation..
You do have to check that the plastic 'tray' is in good condition and that the cage didn't rust.

You aren't near New Jersey, are you ica? I am in exactly that position, being down to one little ferret. I used to have 5 in a gigantic ferret Shangri-La, then moved to a medium-large (which i am aiming to donate) and now the little guy is in a small-medium one on his own. I was debating whether to just leave him in the medium-large one, but he honestly seems happier now. He is a weirdo :)

It's the one in the upper left corner on this page:
http://www.animalcages.org/pet-cage/ferret-cage.html

I've never had rats, so I am not sure if it would work for them, but i am sure the good people here can advise on that.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Docslady21

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
I have a cage similar to this for our family rats. Mine is actually about another foot taller with another full-size floor. They love it. Climb all over it like monkeys. I recommend you check Craigslist for them. I got mine for a steal at $60 (it retails for about $120 due to size).

http://www.cagestore.com/pd_the_rat_highrise.cfm

exitzero

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »

You aren't near New Jersey, are you ica? I am in exactly that position, being down to one little ferret. I used to have 5 in a gigantic ferret Shangri-La, then moved to a medium-large (which i am aiming to donate) and now the little guy is in a small-medium one on his own. I was debating whether to just leave him in the medium-large one, but he honestly seems happier now. He is a weirdo :)

It's the one in the upper left corner on this page:
http://www.animalcages.org/pet-cage/ferret-cage.html

I've never had rats, so I am not sure if it would work for them, but i am sure the good people here can advise on that.

I have that one on the upper left as my rats "vacation cage" (I leave it at a friend's house for when they go on vacation...not they are spoiled or anything!). It works well for larger rats, little ones could slip through the bars, but I find it TOTURE to clean. You nearly have to be a contortionist, or be willing to take the whole thing apart everytime. I don't have the patients.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 01:51:20 PM »

exitzero, i probably should have mentioned that. One of the reasons i am so happy little Taz is so happy in the smaller cage is because that one is such a pain to clean. I take it outside and turn the hose on it.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »
No, I'm in Iowa. I've been checking Craigslist, but so far nada except a few birdcages and one ferret cage that had been cut in half. I think I'll set up a search alert.

I've been spending the day building a rat condo, lol. And a ramp to make use of some vertical space.