Author Topic: Absolute Favorite Household Thing  (Read 3963 times)

turtleIScream

Re: Absolute Favorite Household Thing
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
My immersion blender. I just used it tonight to make garlic paste; yum! My Ninja blender probably would come in second.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »
Right now I'd have to say the Vitamix.  Just don't tell my DH that I'm really glad he bought it.  I personally would have never even thought of spending that kind of $$$ on what I considered a glorified blender (I was wrong, wrong, oh so wrong).  I use it almost everyday.

I'm also very fond of the under the cabinet mounted can opener and the side cabinet mounted paper towel dispenser, one is on the left side of the sink, the other to the right side.  It is very convenient.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 11:54:08 PM »
My wood heater.

It keeps the house warm when it's cold outside.  If I lose electricity I can use it to cook on or heat water on.  And I love the ambience it provides too.

Second fave is the heated towel rail in the bathroom - pure bliss to put on a warm, dry and toasty bath robe and to dry with a warm dry towel in winter.

Sebastienne

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 01:51:50 AM »
I'm also going to go with the KitchenAid. It's magic! Baking is easy! I can make pizza dough in 30 minutes! Love that thing.

However. We stayed with some wealthy friends a few months ago, and they had this built into their kitchen: http://www.thermador.com/cooking/built-in-coffee-maker/bicm24cs-builtin-fully-atomatic-coffee-machine-stainless-steel

We drink so much coffee, and it grinds the beans and makes a cup in less than 30 seconds, and it was a revelation. Amazing. When we decide to stop renting, we will build one in, and there is no question that it will kick the KitchenAid's bootay in its usefulness and the love we have for it.

We were watching an episode of House Hunters a few weeks ago. The couple was looking at a house with the Thermador installed, and they didn't even comment on it!  Or buy the house! We were stunned, and incredibly disappointed in the couple's lack of foresight.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:53:35 AM by Sebastienne »

miritree

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 02:09:03 AM »
I can't choose. Brain hurts.

My huge slow cooker. Rice cooker. Steam mop. Kitchen Aid.

Ygraine

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 06:29:46 AM »
My Shark floor steam cleaner.   How I lived so long without one is beyond me.  I've already worn the first one out and am on my second.  :)

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 06:45:54 AM »
My apple corer/slicer is so good we bought a second one (so I could have one at work and one at home!).

However, my absolute favourite is our new mixer. It's only a little Kenwood one, with very few bells and whistles, but by golly it does what it's supposed to. Unlike the cheepie mixer we bought eighteen months ago that had five speeds - fast, very fast, very VERY fast, supersonic and plaid (with apologies to Spaceballs)...

staceym

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 06:59:56 AM »
right now it as one of those "as seen on TV" Swivel sweepers. 

I have a somewhat heavy sweeper that I get tired of pulling out whenever I want to do a guick sweep on spills; and it is too big to get underneath places.  So when I saw this Swivel sweeper advertised I decided to try it and got it last week and truthfully love it. 

Now it isn't as powerful as a regular sweeper (it is run by a rechargeable battery) so a good vacuuming is still needed; but this is great for my bathroom as it can fit in the tight space between the toilet and sink cabinet and I can get underneath the dining room table without having to pull out the chairs all the time as it fits underneath the chairs and it is great for the kitchen when I making my salads for lunch and I drop little pieces of lettuce or whatever.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:49:05 AM by staceym »

oogyda

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 07:00:34 AM »
Dindrane, a friend of mine makes those knife racks.  Something very similar, anyway.  I have one, but she's making me a different that will fit exactly in the drawer I keep my knives in.  They are great.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

nayberry

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 07:14:21 AM »
my kenwood chef mixer,  it's used at least once a week for baking and quite often more as it has a blender attachment

all i need now is to save up for the mincer attachment/sausage maker and the spice grinder

although i do love my remoska  http://www.lakeland.co.uk/7669/Grand-Remoska-Electric-Cooker   can only get them from Lakeland and mine was a gift from my parents <3

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
My mom has the knife drawer thingy, and she loves it!  I however, do not have much drawer space at all, so it would not be good for me.  I would have to say my two favorite things are my measuring beaker, that you can use for BOTH dry and wet, and my ovi gloves. My mom had them at Christmas (a hostess gift) and I raved about them. Little did I know she bought me some of my own!.

bloo

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »
Oh where to start, where to start?!

Okay, in this particular order:

Wustof Classic Knives / Chef's Choice Knife Sharpener (need both!)
Kuhn-Rikon manual can opener
All-Clad MC2 pots and pans
French Press coffee maker
Cuisinart immersion blender
Cuisnart 9-speed handmixer
Pampered Chef mini-whisk
Williams-Sonoma measuring cups & spoons (heavy stainless steel so they don't go flying around the dishwasher)

And although I don't use it often I love having the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker with extra insulated bowl!

Those are probably my most favoritest! I have quite a few tools and have gotten rid of ones I like but really don't use.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 10:12:31 AM »
My clothes washer. 
If there is reincarnation, I can guarantee that in a past life I was someone that washed a lot of clothes by hand and hated it with a purple passion. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 11:17:53 AM »
My clothes washer. 
If there is reincarnation, I can guarantee that in a past life I was someone that washed a lot of clothes by hand and hated it with a purple passion.

I said just the other day, i would even give up my dishwashwer if i could have a washer in my apt. but sadly, they are old, and not built to accomodate them. BOOO.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »
my kenwood chef mixer,  it's used at least once a week for baking and quite often more as it has a blender attachment

all i need now is to save up for the mincer attachment/sausage maker and the spice grinder

Pod to the Kenwood Chef!

The spice grinder is brilliant. I use it for nuts and other things. I never use my mincer attachment though, although I was looking for it the other day. The coffee grinder for it is the best. I love the juicers and the ice-cream maker but I don't use them much because of my diet.  I wondered about a sausage maker but I think I'd rather get hold of the cream maker first.

I got a Kmix immersion blender to supplement the Kenwood Chef because I wanted a food processor for making paté. The food processor end of the Kmix does all the things the Kenwood Chef doesn't. I did have the Kenwood Chef slicer but the plastic crumbled into the food on Christmas :-( It's a hazard when things go on forever! Or rather, bits of them don't go on forever.