Author Topic: Absolute Favorite Household Thing  (Read 4420 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Absolute Favorite Household Thing
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »
I was just posting about cutlery in the Exchanges that Make Your Brain Hurt thread, and it occurred to me that I have what is probably a somewhat unique knife block. I don't have an overwhelming amount of drawer space, but I have even less counter space, so I bought this a number of years ago:

J.A. Henckels 13-Slot In-Drawer Knife Tray

It holds all my knives plus some of my steak knives (and the rest of the steak knives are in storage). It fits just about perfectly into one of my drawers. And it keeps my knives nice and organized without taking up the enormous amount of space that counter-top knife blocks consume.

When I stop to think about it, it really is just about my most favorite household item, because it's so good at what it does that I almost never think about it long enough to realize how truly awesome it is.

As an aside, it bugs me a little that the brand of my knife tray is J.A. Henckels even though all the (branded) knives in it are Wusthof. I almost registered for J.A. Henckels knives when I got married entirely because they would match the tray I already owned, but I liked the Wusthof knives better.

So what is your most favorite household item?

CrochetFanatic

Re: Absolute Favorite Household Thing
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:47:34 PM »
My cappuccino maker and the blender are sort of neck and neck.  Sometimes they even join forces and create the espresso smoothie.  8)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
Such a small thing but it makes life sooooooo much easier - a Tupperware apple slicer/corer in one. I only got it like two weeks ago but I eat apples all the time. I have sensitive teeth, though, so biting into an apple is not pleasant. This thing you line up the centre with the core and push, it cores the apple and slices it into 8 with one push. Voila! Apple slices snack and no more teeth issues.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »
My Keurig coffee maker. I go through coffee phases, so it is nice to be able to make one cup if I am in the mood for one cup. I still have my old pot for the odd days when it'll take the whole thing to get me through without getting all twitchy. ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
Such a small thing but it makes life sooooooo much easier - a Tupperware apple slicer/corer in one. I only got it like two weeks ago but I eat apples all the time. I have sensitive teeth, though, so biting into an apple is not pleasant. This thing you line up the centre with the core and push, it cores the apple and slices it into 8 with one push. Voila! Apple slices snack and no more teeth issues.

I have one of those! I keep it at work (along with a mini cutting board). I keep little baggies of cheddar cheese slices and to-go cups of PB handy, so I can have apple slices with either one. Totally awesome snacks during the work day.

I think my favorite thing would definitely be my KitchenAid stand mixer. I'd always heard people rave about them, but I never realized just how awesomely useful they are until I got one for Christmas. I bake ALL the time now, enough that coworkers complain I'm making them fat. ;)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
My garlic press.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:44:25 PM »
Kitchen Aid stand mixer. If I had to hand-mix all the cookies etc I bake, my right arm would be freakishly muscular.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
I don't know about my favorite household item, but the one that gets used the most is my little salad spinner.  I used to use the colander more, but the spinner gets the water out of herbs and lettuce much better than draining them in the colander.  Plus, the bowl is clear plastic and I serve the salad in it.  Heck, sometimes we eat the salad out of the bowl and skip the salad plates/bowls.

My cheap blender is the second most used item.  I make smoothies and creamy salad dressing in it.  DH keeps trying to get me to buy "a good one."  I'm waiting for this one to die first, but it keeps on working.  Seriously, I think I paid $15 for it 5 years ago and I use it a couple times a week.

A Swiss friend brought me a peeler that works better than any other I have found in this country.  I love it, but I don't use it much.  DH likes the skin on his potatoes and carrots. :-\

Two items I bought (long ago when I had a bigger kitchen) that I seldom use, but just can't part with are my crock pot and food processor.  It takes as long to clean the food processor as it takes to process by hand, so I seldom excavate to the back of the cold storage cabinet to use the food processor.  It's my own fault for putting it so far back that it takes 5 minutes to remove everything in front of it in order to get it out, but I only use it once or twice a year and all the stuff in front gets used much more often.  The crock pot seldom gets used because DH is phobic about leaving anything on when no one is home.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
I love my knife magnet, so my knives are up on the wall. Really anything wall mounted is my favorite. I have plenty of wall space, and I hate clutter on flat surfaces (yet am prone to creating it) so anytime I can get something on a wall its a blessing. I also have magnet spice containers which are stuck to the side of my fridge near my cupboards. And a magneted pad of paper on the fridge door for creating grocery lists. I have a coat rook rack on the wall near my front door, and a set of hooks in my bedroom for clothes that have been worn but aren't ready for the hamper yet. All my framed photos are wall mounted too.

So I guess my favorite house hold thing is my hammer, with my drill (for larger objects) being a close second.  :D

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:46 PM »
WillyNilly, I hear you on getting things up on walls. My biggest complaint with my kitchen now is that the cabinets are incredibly close to the counter (I'd be surprised if my ceilings were more than about 7 or 7 1/2 feet high, and there's a soffit in the kitchen that lowers the wall cabinets even more). And, of course, I'm in an apartment so I wouldn't really be able to hang things all over the walls even if I had room to do it.

I kind of like the knives in a drawer, though. I plan to have kids eventually, and it'll be much easier to child-proof the knives if they're all contained in a kitchen drawer.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 10:06:23 PM »
Speaking of wall-mounted. I have a paper towel holder with a magnet backing, designed to go on the side of the fridge. Paper towels are always handy, and I don't use up valuable counter space for them. The best part? I bought it for about $10... when I was starting college, over 15 years ago. Still works great!

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:37 PM »
I have said it once and I will say it again, my rice cooker. No more soggy or chewy rice just perfect rice every time.  Don't know how I did without it.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »
I'm really fond of this jar opener that my grandmother had installed on the bottom of one of the kitchen cabinets.  It works like a marvel, and the opening seems to be somewhat v-shaped so it can handle big lids and little lids.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Speaking of wall-mounted. I have a paper towel holder with a magnet backing, designed to go on the side of the fridge. Paper towels are always handy, and I don't use up valuable counter space for them. The best part? I bought it for about $10... when I was starting college, over 15 years ago. Still works great!

Mine's not magnetic but yup, my paper towels are wall mounted too!

And I have a hanging fruit basket (3 stacked backets actually) hanging from a wall mounted plant hook.

I own so its not a concern, but when I rented I still hung stuff - a small canister of spackle is less then $5, a worthy investment for daily convenience.