Author Topic: Chewy, moist cookie recipes.  (Read 710 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Chewy, moist cookie recipes.
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:18 PM »
I am open to all cookies. I'm in a bit of a cookie rut, so I am looking for some other people's favorite recipes  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Chewy, moist cookie recipes.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here too.

Anyone have a really good chocolate chocolate death by chocolate recipe?  The recipe I use just isn't consistent and I'm tired of having to tweak it every single time I make it.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:49:46 PM »
One thought, for chewy, moist cookies, is to keep a piece of bread in with the cookies.  The moisture from the bread goes into the cookies and keeps them soft and moist.  It's sort of a balance.  If you have *too* much bread, it can make them mushy.  So you don't want to overdo it, depending on the volume of cookies.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:38 AM »
http://52weeks-52recipes.blogspot.dk/2011/09/m-cookies.html

As long as I'm careful not to overbake them, they turn out sooo yummily moist and chewy :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »
This is, I think, the same recipe I use (it's darn close if it's not). I usually add in slightly less coconut, and add walnuts, chopped, at the end. They stay soft and chewy as long as you don't overbake - and if you do overbake, they are crispy on the outside, chewy in the middle, so it's not really a bad thing!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/oatmealcookies/r/blcookies9f.htm

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »
I have a recipe for ginger snaps that we purposely undercook so they stay soft and moist.  If people are interested, I'll post when I get home tonight.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

bloo

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:47:26 PM »
Fell in love with this recipe and decided to make an organic version and sell it through a health food store that I make and bake other foods. But it's not some big 'company secret' since there are more than a few versions of the same recipe on the Internets.

http://www.food.com/recipe/five-chip-cookies-267081

As with all cookies, the trick is to not overbake and it's really better to make these a little smaller for more perfect, consistent results.
It's a little pricey to have all the ingredients when you consider 5 different types of chips but you could do a triple batch with 1 bag each of the chips.

25wishes

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
Here is a good, soft, chocolate cookie recipe. Like fudgy brownies in a cookie form.

Melt together
1/4 c. + 1 T. margarine
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate

Add 1 egg
1/2 c. water
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2t. salt

Mix well, chill dough for 30-45 minutes in fridge.
Roll in balls, dip balls in regular sugar. Bake at 300 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

25wishes

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
Here is one for soft PB cookies.

1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1-1/4 c. flour
3/4 t. b. soda
1/2 t. b. powder
1/4 t. salt
1 c. peanut butter chips.
granulated sugar

heat oven to 375. Mix brown sugar, butter, PB, and egg. Add dry ingredients and chips.
shape dough into 1-1/2" balls. Dip top of balls in granulated sugar. place sugar side up on ungreased cookie sheet about 3 " apart. Bake 9 to 10 minutes until golden brown , cool 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets.

Do not flatten tops or criss-cross with fork. These spread out and get those nice crackle tops. If you make the balls perfectly round these will look like professional bakery cookies. I leave out the chips and they are still awesome.

bloo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »
Barb3000, does it make a difference if you switch out the margarine for butter?

25wishes

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:19:59 AM »
probably not - the thing about the chocolate ones, if you don't chill it long enough, it is very goopy as you roll into balls. I think the butter would be better as it would make the dough stiffer.
 I think in the PB cookies it would just taste better with butter.

I used to just buy margarine for baking, but lately it is so expensive, I think, why bother, sometimes I can get butter on sale for $2 a pound.

bloo

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
Thanks, Barb3000!

I didn't realize margarine had gotten more pricey. I haven't bought it in years and now I have a source for organic butter at $2.50/lb. I'm glad to know the recipe won't be affected by substitution. I just think butter tastes better! :)