Author Topic: Shoes on or off to stand on a host company's chair?  (Read 2261 times)

Oh Joy

Shoes on or off to stand on a host company's chair?
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
I was preparing to give a talk at another organization earlier this week.  We were in a meeting room with the lightly upholstered stackable chairs.  I was in a position where I almost needed to stand on a chair for a moment to reach something.  I found a workaround, but have been wondering since...shoes on or off?

Was dressed in a trouser suit with socks and pumps.  Shoes on would have put my winter shoes and heel on their fabric, but slipping shoes off is partially undressing and would have put my all-day socks on their fabric.  Not a big deal, but - assuming it were unavoidable - which is the lesser of the evils?

Thank you!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Shoes on or off to stand on a host company's chair?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »
I would have slipped my shoes off to stand on an upholstered chair.  But it would also be because of praticality of not standing on a chair in heels. I'd feel more stable in socks.

AlephReish

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »
I also would have taken my shoes off - and have done so, though I can't remember having to in a very formal situation. Both because of the stability issue and because it's easier to brush off probably non-existent sock germs than shoe dirt.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »
I would also be thinking more along the lines of practicality/safety than etiquette, first. Standing on a chair to reach something, how would I feel safest? If I could go either way (shoes on or off) I would probably leave my shoes on unless they were crusted with mud or something--not because I think the socks are dirtier, but just because it's less work to leave my shoes on my feet. I've brushed numerous dusty footprints off chair seats in the past and it doesn't bother me.

In someone else's home I would ask them first, but with some underlying assumptions. Like, if my options are either climb on something in high heels or my bare feet, and my host thinks bare feet are gross... I'm not climbing up to do whatever. I'm not climbing in high heels, because I am clumsy. Safety first.
~Lynn2000

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »
When I have to stand on a chair at work, I kick off my shoes if it's feasible. I figure both my shoes and socks are probably "germy" if it comes down to that, but my socks have less actual particulate dirt that might damage the chair, plus I've got better balance in my sock feet than in a lot of women's dress shoes. Plus a shoe heel might even, theoretically, poke a hole in some types of chairs.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
Probably all the safety training at my employer is rubbing off on me: I'd either have found a person tall enough that could do what needed to be done without climbing on a chair or I would have found a step-ladder.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »
Probably all the safety training at my employer is rubbing off on me: I'd either have found a person tall enough that could do what needed to be done without climbing on a chair or I would have found a step-ladder.

Me, too.  Or found someone else willing to stand on the chair and let them worry about shoes on or off.   :D

For me, fabric covered chair, shoes off.  Hard surface, leave the shoes on unless they're heels then take them off for stability.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »
I'd probably leave my shoes on and then brush the chair off after I got down.

doodlemor

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »
For goodness sake, take off the heels.  I did the orthopedic surgery thing several years ago after a fall, and it was no fun. 

Shoe germs are likely worse than sock germs, too. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 01:19:04 AM »
If I had heels on, I'd take them off.

But I don't wear heels; I wear oxfords or similar.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 02:06:55 AM »
I'd take off my shoes. I think it's rude to stand on furniture with outside shoes on.

If these are shoes you only wear inside, then it's a different matter, and I'd probably only take them off if I felt more stable that way.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 06:11:57 AM »
Shoes don't belong on upholstery. They are for the floor and outside,

Heels would be hard on the upholstery, even my vinyl covered kitchen chairs, and unstable anyway. It can be cleaned but not easily be repaired.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:14:54 AM »
I put a sheet of paper/napkin and take off shoes.

Oh Joy

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 12:32:56 PM »
Sounds like mostly but not overwhelmingly 'off.' Thanks for sharing, all!