Author Topic: I don't agree with you actually. long  (Read 3849 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
I don't agree with you actually. long
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:59:17 PM »
I went inside one of those all purpose shipping stores where you can send packages, pick up stamps and buy cards etc.  I walked in and there was a line of about 4 people.  The store is long and narrow, there was just barely room for people to leave.  I was standing there when I heard the clerk say, "Yep, it's right there.  Do you need change?"  I heard mumbling and I see a lady walk out toward the copier I was standing next to. I moved over a step (but now up against the counter)  Then the line moved and I walked up. 

There were about 3 people behind me.  I get my forms/envelope and step to the side to finish filling it in.  The last 3 customers were dealt with very quickly.  In fact they were done and I was just about done filling in the envelope and paperwork.

The clerk called out to her, "Are you doing okay there?  Do you need help?"  As she said this 2 more customers walked in.  The lady at the copier shook her head.  It looked liked she meant no.  I waited till clerk was done with the 2 customers and I gave her my envelope.  Another customer walked in.  Then lady made a loud noise like, "Geez!!" and she stalked up and around the entering customer who was startled at and stopped to avoid collision.  Lady said, "I can't believe you, I have been standing there needing help and you didn't bother coming.  I was standing there and standing there.  I need my copies!  I want your manager's name right now.  I never complain but you are the rudest and most unhelpful person I had ever encountered."  She turned to me and said, "And you saw the whole thing!  Wasn't she rude?"  I told her that I didn't think she was rude and I never heard her call for help.  The lady scoffed that I was probably a friend and stomped out of the store nearly knocking over the customer that was still there. 

We both asked her for the same card she handed out to grumpy lady and said we are going to call and praise her to offset the grumpy lady!  That made the clerk smile.   Would you have answered the same way?  Would you call the manager and praise her and mention the grumpy lady?

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: I don't agree with you actually. long
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:19:36 PM »
it's hard to say - the lady was asked two questions -"Are you doing okay there?" and "Do you need help". if she shook her head "no" it could have been "no i'm not doing ok" as well as "no i don't need help". or she could have just been shaking her head in exasperation...

the rest of the stuff - she was very rude. she should have asked for help if she needed it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

anonever13

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:25:18 PM »
Absolutely!  You never know whose side the manager will take, and I think it's great for you to stand up for the employee.   :)

bloo

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
Absolutely!  You never know whose side the manager will take, and I think it's great for you to stand up for the employee.   :)

Definitely this! Call asap.

CopierLady failed to communicate properly so jumping into attack mode is, as always, a bad idea.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
I think if crabby lady needed help, it was up to her to either ask for it herself, or when the clerk asked her if she was doing ok, rather than shaking her head, which could be interpreted any number of ways, spoken up, and said, “actually, when you have a second yes, I do need some help.” The clerk was busy doing her job, and certainly not a mind reader. And I’d definitely call and let the manager know what really happened, so when crabby lady calls, she will have both sides of the story. 

And if both of you call to praise the clerk, methinks that will carry more weight than one customers complaint.  After all, what would both of you hope to gain aside from letting the manager know what really happened?

Lynn2000

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
I don't know if I would contact anyone just to refute someone else's complaint; the grumpy lady may not actually follow through on her threat to complain anyway. But, if you felt you received praise-worthy service yourself, you could call and compliment that. Maybe add in something about being impressed with the employee's politeness with a difficult customer. But I wouldn't make it all about grumpy lady.

If the store is that busy, I do think you (well, grumpy lady) need to be a little more proactive about asking for help. I could see "shaking head" meaning "I'm so frustrated with this, no I can't figure it out" rather than "no, I don't need help." But once it's obvious your message hasn't been conveyed I think you need to take the next step and go back to the employee and say, "Excuse me, when you get a minute, I need help with the copier."
~Lynn2000

MrTango

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »
I think that in general, if someone decides to draw you into a discussion of which you were not previously a party, you are not rude to express your opinion even if it directly contradicts the person who pulled you in.  (Assuming, of course, that you express your opinion in a polite manner).

I wish more people would stand up for themselves and openly disagree with people who make unreasonable demands/claims and then try to back them up by using bystanders.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:32:24 PM »
I think calling is the right thing to do.  Some customers have called to complain and outright lied, trying to get someone fired.  While it didn't happen to me, it happened to one of my co-workers when I worked at the bank.  I was less than three feet away when the woman started screaming because the bank teller told her to have a good day.  Apparently, saying that while smiling means you're being condescending.  The woman later called and told our manager that the girl had thrown her money at her, and told her to have a good day in a sarcastic voice, and then slammed her cash drawer and stormed off. None of that happened.

I've also taken several customer complaints when I was an admin.  People would call the office to complain about the workers in the store.  One woman called and screamed about being accused of stealing.  When I asked the store manager, she told me the woman had been stealing.  She took a stack of things into the dressing room, and when she came out there were only two items in her hand.  They took three shirts and several pieces of jewelry back before banning her from the store.  Manager said they knew she had more, but they didn't want to call the cops and have her searched, so they only took back what was in her purse.

Some people think that "The customer is always right".  I hate that phrase.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »
it's hard to say - the lady was asked two questions -"Are you doing okay there?" and "Do you need help". if she shook her head "no" it could have been "no i'm not doing ok" as well as "no i don't need help". or she could have just been shaking her head in exasperation...

And so the onus is on her.

I think the grumpy lady is not terribly likely to call, but I'd go ahead and call myself. It sounds like you thought the clerk was particularly good at handling a busy line as well as watching out for the lady at the copier (instead of simply dismissing her from her thoughts and assuming that she'd have spoken up if she needed help, which wouldn't have been unreasonable)--that's worth a compliment in and of itself.

I think that in general, if someone decides to draw you into a discussion of which you were not previously a party, you are not rude to express your opinion even if it directly contradicts the person who pulled you in.  (Assuming, of course, that you express your opinion in a polite manner).

I wish more people would stand up for themselves and openly disagree with people who make unreasonable demands/claims and then try to back them up by using bystanders.

I agree. Let's use peer pressure for good things, instead of only bad!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »
I called and ended up speaking to the owner of the establishment.  I told him I was in this afternoon and was very pleased at the service and attention I received.  And that I actually ended up learning something I didn't know about Fed Ex in which she was very helpful with.  I mentioned that there was an irate customer and she handled her with ease.  He said, "Oh the copier lady?"  And I told him yes.  He went on to say he did hear from her and was surprised as the clerk is usually very good at her job.  He asked some questions.  And based on the questions he asked, it sounds like the lady heavily embellished what had really happened. 

I can't believe she called and lied to make the clerk look the worst employee ever.  I am glad I called!

CreteGirl

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »
I called and ended up speaking to the owner of the establishment.  I told him I was in this afternoon and was very pleased at the service and attention I received.  And that I actually ended up learning something I didn't know about Fed Ex in which she was very helpful with.  I mentioned that there was an irate customer and she handled her with ease.  He said, "Oh the copier lady?"  And I told him yes.  He went on to say he did hear from her and was surprised as the clerk is usually very good at her job.  He asked some questions.  And based on the questions he asked, it sounds like the lady heavily embellished what had really happened. 

I can't believe she called and lied to make the clerk look the worst employee ever.  I am glad I called!

I think it is a very good thing that you called.  Way to go!  Not many people would take time out of their busy schedules to do so.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »

Way to go, Zilla! I wonder if Miss Sour Puss believes in Karma.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 09:15:05 PM »
Good for you! I'm sure the clerk is relieved that you backed her up.

And I think she was rude on three counts:
1. Not articulating that she needed help.
2. Pitching a fit.
3. Lying about the clerk.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Lynn2000

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
Wow, I'm glad you called then, if grumpy lady had indeed raised such a stink and even lied to make things seem worse. What a... grumpy lady.
~Lynn2000

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »
Wow, I'm glad you called then, if grumpy lady had indeed raised such a stink and even lied to make things seem worse. What a... grumpy lady.

Yeah I didn't pry but I was very curious and wished I did ask.