Author Topic: S/0 House Hunting: What is your dream home?  (Read 2335 times)

mmswm

S/0 House Hunting: What is your dream home?
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »
I'm having a fair bit of fun entertaining myself looking at the high end listings in my county.  So as not to hijack the horrors thread, I thought it would be fun to start a new thread to talk about what our dream home would be if money or location was no object?

Staying in my county, I ran across this listing:

http://www.ewm.com/listings/property/a1611343-9151-arvida-ln-coral-gables

What's awesome about this house is that it has its very own observatory!  How cool is that?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: S/0 House Hunting: What is your dream home?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »
I'll have to go look at listings, but I check every once in a while and something that would be my dream home doesn't come up often in my area. :( I want at least four bedrooms, a screened porch or a place to build one, foyer, nice sized yard and lot, not super close to neighbors, craft room and den, and an older home. It is shocking how hard that is to find at any price here.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »
I have a vision of my dream house in my head.  It is mostly all on one level.  On one end would be my bedroom and ensuite bathroom with shower stall and separate bath tub.  The laundry room would be off my room somehow.  On the other end of the house would be another bedroom with ensuite bathroom, probably with just a shower stall, and an attached sitting room with a little kitchenette.  It would be for my Dad as long as he is well enough to be reasonably self sufficient.  I don't mind doing his laundry or cooking for him but there is no way I'm doing any personal care.

Between the bedrooms would be the living areas - kitchen, dining room, living room, another bathroom with shower stall and a den with a double sized Murphy bed so I could use it as a spare room.  I might have a loft area up above with more sleeping area for guests, maybe with a 2 piece washroom.

If I could go whole hog, I'd like it to be on the water, preferably a smaller lake so I can be out in my canoe or kayak and not have to worry about being run over by a speedboat or PWC.  If I'm really dreaming, I'd like to own all the land around the lake so I can control the access and prevent any motorized boats at all.  I might let someone troll with a little electric motor so they can fish my stocked lake.  If I do get the water property, I'd also build a little self sufficient bunky with a couple of small bedrooms, small washroom, combined kitchen/living room.  That way, I could invite friends to come enjoy my lake but we wouldn't have to spend every waking moment together.  We'd have dinner together at the big house.

There would be a double car garage attached to the house and the property would be big enough for a large garden, maybe a chicken coop, maybe a goat pen.  There would be a nice big deck with a screened in section for black fly and mosquito seasons.  It would include a nice outdoor eating area.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:09:32 PM »
I have a vision of my dream house in my head.  It is mostly all on one level.  On one end would be my bedroom and ensuite bathroom with shower stall and separate bath tub.  The laundry room would be off my room somehow.  On the other end of the house would be another bedroom with ensuite bathroom, probably with just a shower stall, and an attached sitting room with a little kitchenette.  It would be for my Dad as long as he is well enough to be reasonably self sufficient.  I don't mind doing his laundry or cooking for him but there is no way I'm doing any personal care.

Between the bedrooms would be the living areas - kitchen, dining room, living room, another bathroom with shower stall and a den with a double sized Murphy bed so I could use it as a spare room.  I might have a loft area up above with more sleeping area for guests, maybe with a 2 piece washroom.

If I could go whole hog, I'd like it to be on the water, preferably a smaller lake so I can be out in my canoe or kayak and not have to worry about being run over by a speedboat or PWC.  If I'm really dreaming, I'd like to own all the land around the lake so I can control the access and prevent any motorized boats at all.  I might let someone troll with a little electric motor so they can fish my stocked lake.  If I do get the water property, I'd also build a little self sufficient bunky with a couple of small bedrooms, small washroom, combined kitchen/living room.  That way, I could invite friends to come enjoy my lake but we wouldn't have to spend every waking moment together.  We'd have dinner together at the big house.

There would be a double car garage attached to the house and the property would be big enough for a large garden, maybe a chicken coop, maybe a goat pen.  There would be a nice big deck with a screened in section for black fly and mosquito seasons.  It would include a nice outdoor eating area.

I would be insanely jealous of your friends who got the chance to visit you!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

dawnfire

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
If I was living in Vegas i want this place

http://www.trulia.com/property/1031809080-7000-Tomiyasu-Ln-Las-Vegas-NV-89120

http://vegasmagazine.com/channels/living/insights/the-primm-compound-a-perfect-piece-of-real-estate

there's 10 bedrooms across the property (4 in the main house, 3 in the housekeepers house, 2 in the stable complex and 1 in the cave/ grotto). there seems to be a complex of underground tunnel linking the house to the garage and other outbuildings.  a little bit of notoriety Michael Jackson had his eye on the place when he died . It's been on the market for about 4 year and only a mere 16.5 mill :)

here in Melbourne like this place right on the bay. I would guess it to be a few mill.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-port+melbourne-111642831
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:23:51 PM by dawnfire »

crella

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
Wow!!

turtleIScream

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »
I saw a listing a couple of years ago for what might have been my dream house - it was on Lake Michigan, but part of the city's water/sewer system. It had 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, 2 car attached garage, and a 2 bedroom guesthouse. The main house was around 3000 square feet, so nice sized rooms. It was actually a bargain for $1.5 million, which makes me wonder what was wrong with it structurally, because the photos looked great too. Unfortunately, even a cheap beach house is far, far outside my budget.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:10:50 PM »
If we're talking about my dream home, I'd be super picky.  The front has to have a porch that extends most of the width of the building.  I don't like homes with no porch; they seem less welcoming, somehow.  Yard needs to be of a decent size (none of this building a 4,000 sq ft house on less than .25 acres of land), and completely fenced in for the dog.  Some trees would be nice, spaced closely enough together that I can tie a hammock in between two of them.  Garage should be a three car garage, so we can put both cars in it, and still have space for bikes/Christmas decorations/etc.  Inside, need at least 3 bedrooms, same number of bathrooms.  If it's a multi-story house, or has a basement, it should have at least one bathroom on each level.  Master bedroom should have a bathroom ensuite (I'm tired of walking down the hallway to the bathroom every morning).  It should also have at least two living rooms, since I really like being able to banish the TV to one area, and have a common room that has no TV in it.  Kitchen should have a breakfast bar, and tons of counter space.  Entrances/exits should be tiled, everything else should be carpeted for the sake of the dog.  I'd prefer the windows to be at least triple paned.  There also needs to be an area that can be set aside for my crafting.  In a pinch, I'd take one of the bedrooms, but would prefer to have my own space that's been designed for my crafting specifically. 
Something like this: http://www.homes.com/listing/183907280/17514_Finesse_Trail_FARMINGTON_MN_55024, only fenced in.

ETA: As DH has reminded me, the master bedroom has to have a bow window with a window seat built in.  I have been wanting one since I was aware that such things existed!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:12:44 PM by Lady Snowdon »

TylerBelle

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »
There are several house styles I really like but two stand out as what I'd consider to be dream homes for me.

One is the beach cottage type. Which doesn't have to be located at the beach, the mountains would be just as wonderful.

I love also the idea of taking an old, empty, or abandoned commercial or office building and turning it into a residence.

Whichever it'd be for me, there are some particulars. Lots of windows. The bathrooms are to have cool shower areas. The kitchen is to be open and breezy, if it's to be stained wood cabinetry, then no stainless steel appliances (for stained wood / stainless steel don't mix for me). And a quiet sitting/reading area or nook off to itself.  :D
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Library Dragon

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:40:18 PM »
Something similar to this, but in Las Vegas:

http://www.trulia.com/property/3059286501-35232-N-66th-Pl-Cave-Creek-AZ-85331#photo-1

No grass!  Of course I'd have to own enough surrounding property to keep the views.   ;)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

snowfire

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:18 PM »
Love the one in Las Vegas.  Horse property for me, mega garage for DH & shooting range for both of us.  Though I'd probably get rid of all the stuffed jungle animals and put in the library from mmswm's Coral Gables dream house.  Oh, and the observatory.  ;D

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 03:36:13 AM »
If my husband were able to retire tomorrow, we'd be rushing to buy this house.  It's my current dream home that I look at every day on the internet, and which I'll cry over when it sells before we have the chance to get it.  DH won't be retiring for at least another five or six years.  I know that when he does retire, we'll find something that I'll love, but right now this is the one I want so much:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34162246.html?premiumA=true
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 05:24:56 AM »
Something like this would be great for DH and me.

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/North-Ryde/?adid=2010218316

Has everything we want. Nice kitchen, decent sized living space, pool and a great deck out back. We probably couldn't afford one thing like that though.

DaisyG

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 06:18:25 AM »
If I had the money, I would love to buy and do up this house:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37836887.html

It has a big garage/workshop which DH would love and I would love being able to update and redecorate it. We would have plenty of space for leaving out craft things and having guests. It's in my favourite street of our local area and has a great garden.

Redwing

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
I'm having a fair bit of fun entertaining myself looking at the high end listings in my county.  So as not to hijack the horrors thread, I thought it would be fun to start a new thread to talk about what our dream home would be if money or location was no object?

Staying in my county, I ran across this listing:

http://www.ewm.com/listings/property/a1611343-9151-arvida-ln-coral-gables

What's awesome about this house is that it has its very own observatory!  How cool is that?

Well, I never wanted to live in Florida, but I think I can "force" myself to live here.  ;D   Wow, that library is fantastic!