Author Topic: S/0 House Hunting: What is your dream home?  (Read 2368 times)

staceym

Re: S/0 House Hunting: What is your dream home?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 08:52:53 AM »
oh wow - dream home

it would first of all be a ranch style with a 2-car detached garage, but a big enough driveway for visiting cars.

Nicely landscaped, fenced yard

It would have a a paved patio and perhaps a fireplace or pit and built in grille
something like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/scorpionlady/Patio-Designs-004_zps5845deee.jpg

and I love old fashioned type front porches - something like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/scorpionlady/Front-Porch_zps0b4fae2d.jpg - I like the lighting on this

as far as the inside - the house doesn't have to be that biiiig or have many rooms - a 4 bedroom - but the rooms would have to be big and with a lot of windows.

My dream bedroom would be a big bedroom, nice size master bath - with a HUGE walk-in closet.  The closet would be my ultimate dream - it would be a room in itself  :) - with shoe racks, shelving for purses, etc.

Nice size living room with a huge wall mounted flat screened HD TV

Redwing

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 09:57:45 AM »
With no price limit and no location issues, I could live out the rest of my days here:  http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-734-4445210/swan-lake-estate-bigfork-mt-59911

nowhere

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »
My dream home is not far from where I live. It's 7,000 sq ft with 5 bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms, mostly on one floor but one wing is on two levels. It's like looking through the pages of a Restoration Hardware catalog, and I'd buy it furnished because that's where everything came from. There's a pool but it's also lakefront with a boathouse, presently staged like a smaller cottage. And the rest of the 4 acre property is fully fenced gardens and green grass. I'm still waiting on my agent to fulfill her promise on giving me a tour of the house.

mmswm

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
With no price limit and no location issues, I could live out the rest of my days here:  http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-734-4445210/swan-lake-estate-bigfork-mt-59911

I could force myself to live there.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Cami

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
My dream home:

-would have an ocean view
-be located in a warm and sunny climate. No snow ever. No threat of snow.
-be all on one floor or have very shallow steps.
-have lots of windows with lots of natural light
-have a room with a view and a door and lots of cabinetry for my hobbies/crafts.
-have a mud room between the garage and the house proper.
-have an "invisible" garage -- that is the garage is not visible or obvious from the front.
-have no carpeting.
-have a master bathroom with a medium-sized shower stall made of concrete and glass blocks.
-have a large walk in closet for just me, with built-in jewelry cabinetry
-have a yard with enough space for me to have a flower garden, with a walk way through it and a gazebo in the center.
-a large porch on front and screened porch on back.

Okay, that Sotheby's real estate page is a rabbit hole. You can search by style and the styles are varied and include "CASTLE"! Like this one: http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-682-4000014710/extraordinary-medieval-castle-torino-to-10018
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:58:25 PM by Cami »

Arrynne

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »
This:  http://www.lennar.com/New-Homes/California/Sacramento/Sacramento/The-Gardens-at-Vineyard-Point/The-Montiero-Plan-35-8

I fell in love with the layout.  It has a large living room next to the kitchen in the back, a smaller family room in the front, and a nice sized loft area on the second floor.  It also has a downstairs bedroom and bath for my in-laws when they get older.  I would turn the loft into a game room with a nice TV and big squishy couches.  I haven't decided what to do with the front family room, except that the Christmas tree would go there.   I love the big closets, including the Harry Potter closet under the stairs.  And it has an inside laundry room!!!  I'm so tired of doing the laundry in the garage. The only part I don't like, is it's on the opposite side of town from work.    I can dream though!

Unfortunately, my son's CP has been worse than we originally thought it would be.  We're on the fence about having a two story home at this point. 

mmswm

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »
Unfortunately, my son's CP has been worse than we originally thought it would be.  We're on the fence about having a two story home at this point.

Two of my boys have mobility impairments.  I understand that dilemma.  I've looked at some wonderful homes only to say "I wish I could afford an elevator". I think that's part of why when I start "house dreaming" I tend to start looking at those wildly expensive homes in Coral Gables, because some of them do have elevators, and besides, if I could afford to buy a 20 million dollar home, I could certainly afford to install one!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Kariachi

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
My dream house... *sigh*

Somewhere down by the Gulf Coast, maybe in southern Mississippi. A nice little cottage, two-story. A porch out front, a sun-room on the back, opening out onto a stone patio. At least .75 acres, maybe up to 1.25, enough space for a real nice flower garden out front and in back, with a section of the backyard set aside for a large vegetable garden. Preferably it'd back up to a canal or some such, some kind of waterfront, needing a fence to keep out the gators would be a bonus.

It would have at least one bedroom upstairs, with a study that either opened into or could open into the master bedroom, that would be where my computer and half my fish would go. A full bath upstairs with a half bath downstairs. A laundry room/pantry would open up behind the kitchen, which would have space for a dining set on the front end, no islands. The living room would be big enough to house a good sum of my books, as well as the other half of my fish and the tv. Hopefully enough space would be left for a couch and end table.  ;) No garage, I prefer carports.

I'd prefer a house that already had working solar panels, but I'm not afraid to handle that myself, along with all the other things I'd need to do to make it mine(hello wood paneling, would you like to go in my study? yes? oh yay!). Like the potted cacti, or the picket fence on three sides, with chain-link overlooking the water...

Preferably it would be in a location with good access to a farmer's market, a butcher, and a fishmonger.

This is the house I think of when I close my eyes... Just give me the bare bones, I'll make it perfect... Hedge, just give me the money and I'll build it...
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

magicdomino

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
But, but,  . . .  I like my house.  It's home.

Not that there isn't room for improvement.   :)  Aside from mundane remodeling, I'd like a really cool library, the kind with lots of wood in a modern style.  And a secret passage; I always wanted a secret passage with a doorway hidden behind a bookcase.  I'd like a really nice patio out back with a stone fireplace/grill, as opposed to the ancient ruins of a grill/incincerator.  If I had big bucks, I'd buy out a neighbor or two, knock down the house, and enlarge my empire.  County regulations won't let me have small livestock without buying out several neighbors, but the newly expanded yard could have a pond and/or a small forest, maybe a meadow.  Hm, yup, got to at least buy out the place behind me.   :D

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »
As I have gotten older it has changed.

One story.  2-car garage with shop area.  Flat yard with enough space for vegetable garden and an outbuilding.  Enough room for hobbies.  Fireplace.  More than one bathroom.  Walking distance to shopping and ocean.  Affordable area.

Mikayla

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »
mmswm, I thought I was the only one who did this!  It's almost a hobby.  My latest dream one is in Annapolis with a view of the Severn River from inside the house.  I also want a real kitchen.  This one has a lot of promise but doesn't have many photos, and the kitchen is missing.  I'm sort of old fashioned on kitchens, I guess.  I don't care how pretty they are - I can fix that.  They do need boring stuff like counters and cabinets. 

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1710-Porters-Hill-Rd_Annapolis_MD_21401_M56353-06645

Mikayla

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »
Oh, and now I have a question.  It was fun looking through these others, but why do realtors think it makes a house look better when they play with the colors and you end up with luminescent green grass, a pink tint to everything else, and just insane brightness?  Does anyone know?

My bro and SIL are realtors in Dallas and they don't know, but they're about the only ones who don't do it.  That Coral Gables one looks awesome, but the enhanced colors make my eyes hurt.  It's not like this isn't a gorgeous setting to begin with.  Big pet peeve of mine.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »
My dream home is a renovated old home with lots of little nooks and crannies and hiding spaces and secret tunnels.  My husband's dream home is any home on lots of land so he could have horses.

So, our dream home would be a renovated old farm house.  With horses. And as many dogs and cats as we could adopt before officially becoming crazy animal people.

mmswm

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »
I don't know about color enhancing.  I've done enough flyovers in that area, and the colors don't seem out of place to me.  The twilight pictures look like they were taken with filters, but overall, I'm not sure there was an awful lot of retouching done, at least in the outside shots.  That area is swimming in very old money, and these people have the funds to keep their lawns almost unnatural shades of bright green.  Also, pink stucco and pink highlighted landscaping/walkway rocks  are pretty common around here.*

*There's actually a really amusing story explaining why pink stucco became so widely used, even though most people find it unappealing.

Maude

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »
The house/surrounds /location that was in the movie On Golden Pond".