Author Topic: Do you tip the tow-truck guy?  (Read 19858 times)

Calypso

Do you tip the tow-truck guy?
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »
I never thought of doing so, but today, when I got my battery jumped, I gave the guy 3 twenties for a $50-dollar charge, and I think he "delayed" a little counting out my change. It could be my imagination. Is one supposed to tip in this instance?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Do you tip the tow-truck guy?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
He was apparently hoping you would, but no, you don't need to tip them. 

gollymolly2

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »
I thought it was customary to tip. I'd be glad to hear what other people do though because I've never understood the justification for it.

CluelessBride

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 12:41:01 AM »
I had to have my car towed recently. I was really fretting about if/what to tip but the CC slip didn't have a tip line. So I think you are fine to skip the tip

Maggie

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:52:46 AM »
The tow truck guy who charges me $3 a mile (not kidding) to take my car across town and charges $75 for just hooking up to my car?  No I think he makes enough already!

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:01:05 AM »
The only time I would even remotely consider tipping a tow truck driver would be for something above and beyond the usual service AND if the tow didn't already have some added service charge.  I'm thinking of something like my car sliding into a mud-filled ditch, where the guy has to wade into muck to hook up the car.  To just come to my driveway and jump the battery--nope, they charge enough already.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:04:12 AM »
I have AAA and it has come in handy with my not-so-great running cars over the years. I've never tipped the tow truck driver, then again, I've never paid them either; its part of my membership. I would say if they had to do something out of the ordinary, yes, I might tip, but if they are simply jumping my car, changing my flat tire, or hooking me up to tow, then no.

The only time I did, and this wasn't a tow truck I had called, was when I left my car in a parking lot as the weather was crappy, and it wasn't plowed, and snowed over, and I coudln't get out. My dad was helping me, and a tow truck drove by, saw us, came and pulled me out. No charge, but my dad and I insisted he take somehting. I think we gave home $20 or $30 (this was 20 years ago)

deadbody

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »
I did once, when I skidded off the highway in nasty snowy weather, and he towed me out of the ditch, when we went to the nearest gas station to settle up he told me he didn't take credit cards, and I only had like $5 cash on me.  We agreed that I would fill up the tank on his truck (ended up being about $65 so I got a bit of a deal) and I bought him a soda while he filled it cause I wouldn't want to do his job (moving around outside the vehicle on a snowy icy interstate).

ettiquit

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:09:44 AM »
I've never tipped a tow truck driver - they definitely charge enough for their service.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 08:10:40 AM »
I wouldn't, except in some of the cases PPs mentioned where someone went out of his way to be especially kind to me.

Recently we had furniture delivered and I was fretting over whether or not I was supposed to tip them. Well, they tracked dirty boot prints and wet leaves onto my freshly mopped/vacuumed floors and then left without so much as an "Oops, sorry" so that answered that.  ;)

Girly

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 08:11:23 AM »
I only tipped the tow guy once - because he not only dropped my car off at the mechanics.... but also me at my house, and stopped at the bank and daycare along the way.

He called me later that evening to ask if I made a mistake because the tow fee was only $XX (amount without tip) and I had given him extra.

DavidH

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
I think it depends.  If they do something out of the ordinary, extremely bad weather, unusual lengths to hook up your car, side trips on the way home, unusually long wait for you to meet them, that kind of then, then I think a tip is in order.  Also, if you use their services frequently, a tip might be a good investment in future better service.  A regular jump start from AAA doesn't usually merit a tip.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
I only tipped the tow guy once - because he not only dropped my car off at the mechanics.... but also me at my house, and stopped at the bank and daycare along the way.

He called me later that evening to ask if I made a mistake because the tow fee was only $XX (amount without tip) and I had given him extra.

I would have tipped in this case, too.  Beyond normal service.

I did once, when I skidded off the highway in nasty snowy weather, and he towed me out of the ditch, when we went to the nearest gas station to settle up he told me he didn't take credit cards, and I only had like $5 cash on me.  We agreed that I would fill up the tank on his truck (ended up being about $65 so I got a bit of a deal) and I bought him a soda while he filled it cause I wouldn't want to do his job (moving around outside the vehicle on a snowy icy interstate).

That worked out well!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »

Yep. I am in New Jersey, we tip everybody ;)   Plus, I know that hookup charge and all that arenít going to whoever is driving the truck. My brother drove for both local and national companies when he lived here; I know what they deal with and how a tip can make their day.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Bottlecaps

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 04:53:36 PM »
I would go by the "above and beyond" rule. Even then, even if they didn't necessarily do anything out of the ordinary for me, if they're polite, helpful, and give me service with a smile, I would appreciate that and would still tip them at least something. I know if my car were broken down on the side of the road, I'd be in a pretty foul mood, but having someone be polite and courteous while trying to help me would definitely brighten my day, even if just a little, so I'd want to show them my appreciation for not acting like it was a huge bother to come and tow my car.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos