Author Topic: Elevator Oddness  (Read 3194 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Elevator Oddness
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
On ships, the buffet where most passengers eat breakfast is on deck 9.  Below that are several decks of cabins.  On days when the ship is in port, it isn't unusual for people to get on an elevator at the buffet and ride down to the deck where the gangplank is located. 

On such a day, we and several others were waiting for an elevator to take us down.  A car containing two ladies arrived from the buffet.  As usual, everyone waited for a slow count of, ' one 'thousand, two thousand, three thousand' to see if the ladies were getting out.  They made no indication to leave so we entered in an orderly fashion.  The response from the two ladies was explosive. 

We were all incredibly rude! Didn't  we know that it was polite to let people off an elevator before trying to get on? Older people need more time, blah, blah, blah. There was great waving of arms and elbowing on the part of the two ladies.  The rest of us were so stunned we didn't say a word. 

On the ride down we all agreed that this was a very odd experience.  On ships, many people use canes, walkers or scooters but they all step toward the door when the elevator stops or at least make it known that they're getting off.  No one minds waiting.  after all, where are we going except elsewhere in the ship?  These ladies gave every indication that they were planning to ride down at least a deck or two. 

Has anyone else encountered this sort of situation?  what would be the proper thing to do? 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Elevator Oddness
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
Act bewildered, get out of their way, and try not to let it get to you.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »
I would find that to be odd, too, OP.

I broke my ankle 2 months ago and am temporarily disabled. I move slowly, but even I can exit an elevator faster than those women did!  :P

snowdragon

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »
If they elbowed people I would say something about the inappropriateness of assaulting people.  There is no reason for that - no matter how impolite they thought anyone had been and age is no excuse. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Sounds like the women were looking for offense.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

BeagleMommy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »
Wow, that's incredible.  How long, exactly, are you supposed to wait to see if someone is getting off an elevator?  I would think that if they don't even start moving toward the doors they're staying on it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »

I broke my ankle 2 months ago and am temporarily disabled. I move slowly, but even I can exit an elevator faster than those women did!  :P

Sure, jaxsue.  No one would mind waiting for you. Someone in the crowd would probably commiserate with you on your injury. Everyone would wish you pleasant day.     

Bottlecaps

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »
Wow, that's incredible.  How long, exactly, are you supposed to wait to see if someone is getting off an elevator?  I would think that if they don't even start moving toward the doors they're staying on it.

This. I don't want to play "beat the door," so I exit the elevator as quickly as I possibly can and move close to the door to hasten my exit even more.

That would be a very odd experience indeed!
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »

Sure, jaxsue.  No one would mind waiting for you. Someone in the crowd would probably commiserate with you on your injury. Everyone would wish you pleasant day.   

Most people are nice about it, and I routinely apologize for being so slow.  :)

doodlemor

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »
I've never encountered anything like this.  The two women were certainly in the wrong.  What sort of beverages were served at the buffet?  Maybe they were riding the elevator in an *impaired condition.*

In a situation like that I think the ehell advice to not engage the crazy would apply.  If anyone was actually hurt by the elbowing they would be justified in reporting this to the ship's medical person [ assuming there is one.]

I might have tried to say something to break the tension on the elevator after these people were gone.  I might have said something like .......Is there a hidden camera here? or ....... What was that all about? said with a humorous intonation.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 04:39:16 AM »
If I was unsure what the ladies' intention was, I might ask politely "Are you getting out on this floor?" But from what you've described OP, it sounds like they made absolutely no move towards the doors. On that basis, I don't think you were rude for assuming they were staying on, and for getting in yourself.

As for how to respond to their comments (and the elbowing), I'd be inclined to simply state "You weren't moving at all, and we assumed that you were staying on."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »
The beverages available at the breakfast buffet are tea, coffee, milk, juice and ice water.  It just might be possible to get high if you find guava juice exotic but I doubt it. 

Once the initial shock was over, we took the event lightly.  Someone did wonder what the ladies had been drinking.  Someone else said, 'Well, it certainly wasn't the milk of human kindness'. 

I just put this out because it was so odd. 

SciFiLeslie

• Hello Sweetie!
  • Rule #1: The Doctor lies
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
On such a day, we and several others were waiting for an elevator to take us down.  A car containing two ladies arrived from the buffet.  As usual, everyone waited for a slow count of, ' one 'thousand, two thousand, three thousand' to see if the ladies were getting out.  They made no indication to leave so we entered in an orderly fashion. 

Sadly I have found that cruise ship elevators can be a bit like a demolition derby...especially with the younger crowd.  I am glad to see that it not always the case.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »
If I was unsure what the ladies' intention was, I might ask politely "Are you getting out on this floor?"

I think this is the correct way to handle this type of situation.

PeterM

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 05:51:17 PM »
If I was unsure what the ladies' intention was, I might ask politely "Are you getting out on this floor?"

I think this is the correct way to handle this type of situation.

The OP and the other people weren't unsure of their intention, though. They were confident the women were staying on the elevator. They were mistaken, but I would have assumed the same thing in that situation. It doesn't hurt to ask anyway, but I don't think it's required.

OP, were they chatting to each other? Far too many people seem to think the whole world should freeze in its tracks and wait for them to finish their leisurely conversation rather than dare expect them to get out of the way.