Author Topic: Trying on Nailpolish before buying - rude?  (Read 4306 times)

poonkuzhali

Trying on Nailpolish before buying - rude?
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »
Do you consider trying on nail polish before buying rude or do you just consider it sampling?
I am talking about just a small swish on less than half a nail, not painting all 5 nails on hand...

Frostblooded

Re: Trying on Nailpolish before buying - rude?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
Rubbing the brush all over your nail that someone else will be using? That's disgusting.

If everyone is allowed to do that, then think of all the germs being passed around. And after a time, that nail polish will be used in this manner so much, that it will be emptied out and the store will lose money.

Snooks

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
They normally have a sample bottle.  I don't think there's any concern about germs otherwise beauticians would go out of business.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »
I don't think there is anything disgusting about it but opening bottles meant to be sold is effectively stealing and therefore wrong. If there is no tester you should not open one. You could ask a member of staff for help instead.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 06:31:01 PM »
Do you consider trying on nail polish before buying rude or do you just consider it sampling?
I am talking about just a small swish on less than half a nail, not painting all 5 nails on hand...

Are we talking from a tester, or opening a bottle which you may or may not purchase?

Testers are there expressly for that purpose. Try away!

Opening a fresh bottle isn't really okay. One, if you (general) have any sort of nail infection or debris on your nail, you risk contaminating the bottle. Snooks, you'll note that if you go for a manicure, they wash your hands first. Infection is a long shot, but still! Two, once the bottle is opened, the clock starts ticking. Granted, opened nail polish has a pretty long shelf life (about 2 years), but it's still not fair to other customers.
Utah

onyonryngs

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
Rude.  You don't try on a lipstick first if there isn't a tester.  Or shampoo, or lotion, or eyeshadow.  Just because you can open the bottle, doesn't mean you should.  It's not a germ thing though.  I'm pretty sure those chemicals can kill any cooties.

poonkuzhali

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
OP here..

The reason I ask... My friend and I were out shopping and we stopped to get her prescriptions in the drugstore.. While waiting for the prescription to be filled, we started browsing the makeup aisle. I was looking at some manicure products and I looked up to see her open a bottle of nail polish and paint it on her nail. I was stunned. She is a very classy lady and I was surprised that she did this. She eventually did purchase the bottle she tried on from. I would never do this and I thought I would ask what e-hell members think of this.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »
I'm not concerned about germs, but I don't buy things that have obviously been opened.  It feels like I'm paying full price for a used/discarded item.

poonkuzhali

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »
I'm not concerned about germs, but I don't buy things that have obviously been opened.  It feels like I'm paying full price for a used/discarded item.

I agree about the used item feeling....Worse thing is, this item did not have any packaging on top of the nail polish bottle (drugstore brands... what can you say?)... So, if she had put it back no one would know that this has been opened and used... Some innocent woman would be buying this thinking that it is an unused piece.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »
Yup, it's wrong. I don't know if germs can even live in nail polish--my instinct is that it's a pretty inhospitable environment--but it does deplete the bottle. If everyone who shopped in the store tried it, there would eventually be none left! It's stealing and it's ripping off whoever buys the bottle thinking they're getting the full amount. And I agree with the PP that it might also shorten the shelf life.

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »
Just playing devil's advocate here on a few points to those who said a "used" bottle of nail polish is gross...
  • Most nail salons use a single bottle of polish on many different clients and there is no health restriction on doing so
  • Unlike lipstick/eyeliner/etc., most nail polish brands do not have any form of safety seal that would let the buyer know it has been "used"
  • I have never seen a designated tester bottle for nail polish anywhere other than upscale cosmetic brand counters at department stores (the ones that cost upwards of $20 a bottle)
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 07:05:14 PM »
This has been discussed  before and there seem to be people who  feel strongly on both sides. I think it is fine with a tester, rude otherwise.

The absence of testers simply says to me "Don't test"

Magnet

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »
It's stealing.  An open bottle is not saleable. 

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how would anyone even know it had been opened? There is no seal on most nail polish bottles I've ever seen.
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how would anyone even know it had been opened? There is no seal on most nail polish bottles I've ever seen.

I've seen some with a plastic sleeve-ish thing over the cap, like you might find on other sorts of bottles. But even if there's not one, and it may still be saleable, the person doing the testing is still stealing nail polish from the eventual buyer, who is going to pay full price for less product.