Author Topic: Religion and freedom of speech  (Read 2648 times)

AnnaJ

Re: Religion and freedom of speech
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
What most people get wrong when they discuss the right to free speech in the U.S. is that it guarantees that the government will not suppress speech (though it has done so several times in the past, but that's another topic). 

The First Amendment does not say that an individual or private company cannot suppress free speech - which is why companies can have employees sign non-disclosure agreements and people can be fired for saying stupid things about their job on Facebook and you can have someone removed from your house if they refuse to leave after they said something that offended you.   

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 12:27:47 PM »
Yeah, I've had to deal with someone saying that he could cuss people out without fear of reprisal because of the freedom of speech. No. The government telling you they can't arrest you for it is not the same thing as being a jerk and people not wanting to associate with you anymore.

We're legally allowed to do lots of things that are considered impolite. No one will arrest you for being 2 hours late to a party, but it's still incredibly rude. The same applies here.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Gail

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Thank you for your answers  :D

The situation I was talking about was about two people in a debate, one of them stating an opinion and the other saying that such an opinion was offensive. Then the first person put the image about "the right to offend".

Sadly, I've encountered the same situation in real life, that's why I posted this.
The last time I said what I was really thinking there was an "intervention".

Tea Drinker

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »
Yeah, I've had to deal with someone saying that he could cuss people out without fear of reprisal because of the freedom of speech. No. The government telling you they can't arrest you for it is not the same thing as being a jerk and people not wanting to associate with you anymore.

We're legally allowed to do lots of things that are considered impolite. No one will arrest you for being 2 hours late to a party, but it's still incredibly rude. The same applies here.

If he was an American, I'd have started talking about the first amendment right to freedom of assembly (that's also vis-a-vis the government, but he may not realize that).

With regard to the original, yes they have the right to say offensive things. They don't have the right not to be told that it's offensive, and "I will not associate with people who use that kind of language" is also free speech.
At most, the laws may give me the right to cuss someone out and still bring charges if they respond with physical force. It doesn't mean they don't get to cuss me out in return. My freedom of speech includes the right to post on Facebook about what this person has said, or to pick up the phone and tell his mother.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »
Thank you for your answers  :D

The situation I was talking about was about two people in a debate, one of them stating an opinion and the other saying that such an opinion was offensive. Then the first person put the image about "the right to offend".

Sadly, I've encountered the same situation in real life, that's why I posted this.

I think a more appropriate response would be "It wasn't my intent to offend you, but my beliefs are very strong and I stand by them." There are times when I've stated something in a respectful way and someone has become offended anyway, just because they so vehemently disagree with what I've said. I don't think that's the same as trying to be offensive at all and I definitely don't think a person should apologize for "offending" in that case.