Author Topic: Hand Sanitizers  (Read 3678 times)

HoneyBee42

Re: Hand Sanitizers
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
I agree.  Ask first.  It takes virtually no time to ask if it is for anyone to use, and removes all doubt about whether it is ok or not.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »
I wouldn't use it, or I'd at least ask first.  They must use a lot of the stuff in a car service place, and if customers started using it, it might run out fast and the $$$ add up. 

Olympia

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
Unless something's clearly set out for customer (like on a table in a waiting room), I'd ask.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
I think you always ask without taking something that doesn't belong to you.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Foureyesonemouth

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
Good question. Hadn't thought of this before because usually when I see them in public places or office they're on a stand  and it's an obvious "use me" set up.

I would think of the sanitizer like any other office equipment you might ask to use such as a pen or stapler. You use part of it then give it back. :)

lisastitch

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
If it's on a public desk (someplace where employees are interacting with customers) and on the customer's side of the desk, I assume it's for customers to use.  If it's on the employee's side of the desk, it's for the employee. 

In someone's office space, I would ask, even if it's on my side of the desk.

I know the distinction I'm making, but I'm not sure it's clear.  I'm a librarian, working the reference desk.  There is a bottle of sanitizer, provided by the library, on the desk, usually on the patron's side (though they do migrate).  It's next to the little pencils for them to use.  Some people do ask, but it's not a problem if they don't (in fact, if they kept asking, it would be annoying to keep answering the question.)
In the back office area, where patrons aren't supposed to go, I have my own desk.  I have my own personal supplies there, including a good hand lotion and Kleenex (not the cheap tissues provided by the library).  If someone, for some reason, were at my desk, I would expect them to ask if they can use my personal supplies.

SiotehCat

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 04:33:33 PM »
If its on someones desk and not facing outward, then I don't even think you should ask. Its their personal hand sanitizer. Would you ask if their lotion was sitting out also?

By asking, I think you put them in a very uncomfortable position. It might be hard for them to say No to a customer.

I would buy my own hand sanitizer.

Chivewarrior

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 07:51:40 PM »
I agree with SiotehCat-- I do think that we can say "it doesn't hurt to ask" on this board as much as we like but the reality is that it's very hard for some people to say no, and while you can sometimes judge whether this is true by their reactions, so I'd just not use it if it wasn't clearly for others to use.

Amara

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »
If someone has sanitizer on their desk, is it ok to use it?

I say no if you are talking about someone's desk at work that is not for the public to use. It matters not whether the desk is in a front office or a private office. A desk belongs to the person assigned to it.

I keep several personal items on my desk that I bring in for a reason: fan, two lamps (I hate fluorescent lights and turn off the overheads), pitcher of water and mug, and a few other things. If anyone touched any of them I admit I would be blunt in letting that person know the non-company property on my desk is never to be touched. If hand sanitizer was part of it, then don't touch it. I don't want to share my things but neither do I put screaming yellow signs shouting HANDS OFF either. I just respect others' property and space and I expect mine to be respected in turn.

Mikayla

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
The way I see it, if I find myself wondering whether I should ask before using something, that's proof I shouldn't use it, nor should I ask. 

With hand sanitizer, if it's important to me, then I'm responsible for having it with me.
Also, hand sanitizer is a personal item.  Unless there were some strange logistics going on, I'd assume the person had supplied it themselves.  Even if it's on all the desks, that doesn't mean it's for customers.  It's for any employee who wants it.  But
it's still a "personal" supply if it's in their personal space.

darkprincess

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
I wouldn't use it without first asking permission.

Yup. This.

Exactly this. I would think it roughly the equivalent of taking a tissue from a box on someone's desk. No big deal, but it's courteous to ask first.

I must admit this is a pet peeve of mine. My work allocates us one box of tissue a month and one small bottle of sanitizer a month for our own use. If we need more we have to purchase it. I have tried to hide the tissue so people don't ask for it but then it isn't accessible when I am sneezing, lots of allergies. At the entrance to every building and the entrance to most departments their is a public hand sanitizer unit attached to the wall.

I keep my sanitizer in a drawer and my tissue very obviously on "my side" of the desk, but people always ask and it is very challenging to say no without looking petty and unfriendly.

What's even worse is due to the cubical maze type set up the public garbage is a 10 yards away, so when someone asks for and then uses the tissue I paid for they then end up asking me to throw it in my garbage. I either have to grab their used tissue, allow them behind my desk to throw it away themselves, have to take the trash can from under my desk and pick it up to hold out for them to throw it away, or look slightly petty as I politely point then to a common garbage. When I do suggest they go to the common garbage to throw away their tissue, coffee cup, candy wrapper they always look at me like I have a second head.

When our budget was especially bad they canceled some garbage service so we have to then bag up the garbage at our desk and bring it to a common garbage room. This meant I bought their tissue, was handed the used tissue back to throw away, necessitating the use of more of my personally purchased hand sanitizer and then have to hall away their garbage because they couldn't walk the 10 yards to the garbage can.

I don't understand why people think that every location someone goes must provide certain amenities. I carry my own travel size tissue, hand sanitizer, place to write down notes, pen. If I think I will be thirsty I bring water. I am willing and able to carry my trash until I can find a garbage that is for public use.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
I agree with SiotehCat-- I do think that we can say "it doesn't hurt to ask" on this board as much as we like

And we are wrong when we say that. There are times when it is not good form to ask. It's presumptuous.

And yeah, I wouldn't ask to use someone's personal hand sanitizer. It would have to be pretty prominently on the "customer" side of the desk, and on a desk where it was common to interact with customers.

The way I see it, if I find myself wondering whether I should ask before using something, that's proof I shouldn't use it, nor should I ask.