Author Topic: How to Refuse to give personal info  (Read 13184 times)

snowdragon

How to Refuse to give personal info
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:18:11 PM »
  I went to the local Tractor Supply Store to pick up a laundry stain remover called "Nature's Miracle" and the cashier refused to sell it with out my name and birth date, so that she could input it into the computer.  I am not comfortable with them storing my birth date for any reason but when I refused to give it.  She seemed stunned that someone would refuse to give out that info for a purchase.
   I wondered if it would bother anyone else to give out that info for a purchase?

MorgnsGrl

Re: How to Refuse to give personal info
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »
I know sometimes I have to give personal info when purchasing certain medications, but for a cleaning product? That seems weird.

snowfire

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »
My personal policy is no personal info unless required by law.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:26:02 PM »
I get the zip code question a lot. I usually say "no, thank you" with a big smile on my face. It throws them off for a minute and I've not had anyone press the issue.

My mom gives an old zip code that is several hundred miles away from the store.

If you tell her that you will not give that information and she presses, I would ask for a manager. If it's really policy, they should be able to explain the rationale behind it. And then you have the option of giving the information or walking away from the transaction
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »
I've been asked for my phone number, zip code, birthdate, etc. but I've never had anyone refuse to sell to me when I've declined. Is it possible she thought you weren't legally old enough to buy it (maybe it's restricted due to one of the ingredients)?

reflection5

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »
A few times when that has happened I've said "Could you please just ring up the sale?  I'm in a hurry."  or "I don't think you need that information.  I'd rather not give it out.  Could we just go ahead and finish this?"

If they persist, I'd ask for a manager or just leave.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »
Unless that laundry product has some sort of magic ingredient that can be used to do really bad things, I don't think any store has the right to "card" you for anything other than the purchase of cigarettes and liquor. 

I wouldn't give them the information.  I'd leave the store and find somewhere else that sold the product or I'd find a new different product that would get out the stains! 

Unless you're paying by credit/debit card (which has your name right on it) there is no reason for them to even know your name, much less your date of birth.

snowdragon

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »
I've been asked for my phone number, zip code, birthdate, etc. but I've never had anyone refuse to sell to me when I've declined. Is it possible she thought you weren't legally old enough to buy it (maybe it's restricted due to one of the ingredients)?

I'm 51 - there is no way I could pass for 18-21 which would be the legal cut off for anything age restricted. So I doubt it.

Calypso

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »
I can only imagine that "Nature's Miracle" contains something that, if you had thousands of gallons of it, you might use to make a bomb. I still wouldn't give out my BIRTHDATE to buy some, however!!!

Those who object to giving out their zip, may I ask why? (aside from the annoyance factor). I'm hyper-touchy about giving out personal info, but I don't mind giving out my zip because it isn't really connect-able to me, personally, and it is one of the more legitimate marketing tools.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
Zip codes, I give - they can't track anything personal withit and are likely just tracking where they may need a new location.

For all of the others I just say, "no thanks" with a smile.  I've never had anyone push beyond that or refuse to make the sale.

I go to Tractor Supply quite a bit and I've never had anyone ask for my DOB. That would set off red flags for me.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

reflection5

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
I can only imagine that "Nature's Miracle" contains something that, if you had thousands of gallons of it, you might use to make a bomb. I still wouldn't give out my BIRTHDATE to buy some, however!!!

Those who object to giving out their zip, may I ask why? (aside from the annoyance factor). I'm hyper-touchy about giving out personal info, but I don't mind giving out my zip because it isn't really connect-able to me, personally, and it is one of the more legitimate marketing tools.

This topic is quite timely.  I heard a few reports this past week about why NOT to give your zip code:

http://www.today.com/video/today/51255563#51255563

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »

This topic is quite timely.  I heard a few reports this past week about why NOT to give your zip code:

http://www.today.com/video/today/51255563#51255563

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!  I never thought about the junk mail and telemarker angle!

No more zip codes from me.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »
Cashier: "May I have your [info], please?"
You: "Can you skip it?"

I've never had anyone say "no," but if they did my next question would be "Can you put in the store's info, then?"  Because there's no reason they need to know my zip/birthday/phone number.

Amara

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »
Those who object to giving out their zip, may I ask why?

I just make one up. I almost alway use one that begins "8," which is not among my state's zip codes (and then pick random numbers for the rest of it). I'm not sure why exactly, though I very much resent the trend toward collecting individual information. Therefore, I do whatever I must to deceive those asking without making things hard for the cashiers by declining to answer.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
I absolutely think you are free to say "no" but honestly, I usually take the path of least resistance: I lie. Say you name is Marti McFly and your birthday is November 5, 1985 or you are Georgia O'Keefe born 9/1/91. The cashier is just doing what they were told at their low wage job, they don't make the rules and they don't deserve a hassle.