Author Topic: How to Refuse to give personal info  (Read 14106 times)

reflection5

Re: How to Refuse to give personal info
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 10:20:11 PM »
If you use a credit card, they already have your name.  Per the link I posted upthread, they match it with a zip code.

For cash purchase, I think making up a name (just an ordinary Sue Thomas or John Wilson) and phoney zip is okay.  However, I never make up phone # because I don't want others to get annoying calls (I don't like them either, and hope no one gives my real number when they are thinking up a fake one).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:31:15 PM by reflection5 »

that_one_girl

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »
It's possible that Nature's Miracle contains chemicals that can be used in several nefarious ways, such as:
- making a bomb
- maufacturing street drugs
- being huffed by teenagers to get high

It's also possible a different product they sell has these chemicals in it and they have just taken to asking for information the buyer of any cleaning product so that the cashiers won't be confused.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 10:59:18 PM »
It's possible that Nature's Miracle contains chemicals that can be used in several nefarious ways, such as:
- making a bomb

It's also possible a different product they sell has these chemicals in it and they have just taken to asking for information the buyer of any cleaning product so that the cashiers won't be confused.

Nature's miracle is what I use to clean up cat vomit/litter box accidents and I usually buy it in bulk and i have never been asked for any info on it. I would be very surprised if you could do any of the above with it.

FYI - 12345 is a valid zip code.

---

• Here and There
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 11:10:40 PM »
Unless by law I need to give that information, or it's a zip code that I've lived at before, I give a firm 'no thank you'. Only one store I went to has refused to process a sale because of they can't have my phone number and both I and my roommate no longer shop there. I really don't care about zip codes all that much and my birthday isn't a big deal, considering when I went to high school about 30 of my classmates had the same exact birthday as I did.

snowdragon

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
- making a bomb

Nature's miracle is what I use to clean up cat vomit/litter box accidents and I usually buy it in bulk and i have never been asked for any info on it. I would be very surprised if you could do any of the above with it.

FYI - 12345 is a valid zip code.

It's made out of enzymes not any thing that I would think could even be processed into something like that. Like  Wolfie siad, it's commonly used for animal accidents, but it works like nothing else on stains and odors of any sort.  I've been using it for years and I have never been asked for any information before.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »
Odd. I've purchased Nature's Miracle in bulk from several CA stores: Winco, PetSmart, Target, PetCo...I've never been asked for anything like that.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 12:01:37 AM »
 I doubt it has anything to do with the product itself and is more likely the store's policy. Winner's does it too, last time I was there I bought a travel mug and a pair of jeans and got asked for my postal code.   I always say "I'd rather not give that out, can we skip it please?"

If it's the store's policy and the cashier refuses to move the transaction along without it, you're well within your rights to ask for a manager or just walk away, as long as you aren't rude about it or you don't take it out on the cashier. 

I don't like those policies either and I tend to avoid shopping at places that do that.  I also usually make a point of emailing head office and letting them know that I don't care for the policy and won't shop at their stores because of it.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 12:05:31 AM »
Call the store and ask to speak to a manager.  Calmly explain what happened (what you bought, what you were asked to supply and the refusal of a sale when you refused to give info that they have no right to ask for) and ask what is their policy.  I know I have to show ID to get my DD's allergy med, but that is due to thee ingredients that are used to cook meth (if I can't make mashed potatoes I sure as heck ain't cooking meth!), but for a cleaning product?  And if she needed that info for the sale due to ingredients, she should have told you and there should be signage in the store.  I use my former work zip code if asked, and I don't give any other info and would have been taken aback if I was asked for my birth date.  If it is for marketing strategies, they should not refuse your sale over it.

Roses

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 12:10:56 AM »
My standard answer for these requests is "No thank you".  Said with a smile.  If anyone ever pushed it, I would walk away and leave my purchases behind. I would definately NOT give out my birth date.

mmswm

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
Considering Nature's Miracle is commonly available in every pet, feed and most discounts stores, I  would have politely refused to continue with the transaction and gone somewhere else. With the exception of items that are regulated by the government, I don't give out my personal information to store clerks.  Like others, I simply say "I prefer not too", with a smile and if the cashier digs in, I take my business elsewhere.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

peaches

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 02:44:04 AM »
The questions I’m most often asked are my zip code or phone number.

I’ve always assumed that they’re collecting data that can be used somehow for marketing purposes.

It can’t be that they’re qualifying me for purchases, because when I say “I don’t like to give out that information”, they always say “that’s fine” or “that’s ok”. No one has pressed me for information at that point; it's just dropped.

This is one of those "just say no" situations. No one is going to be upset with you.

nuit93

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:55 AM »
I absolutely think you are free to say "no" but honestly, I usually take the path of least resistance: I lie. Say you name is Marti McFly and your birthday is November 5, 1985 or you are Georgia O'Keefe born 9/1/91. The cashier is just doing what they were told at their low wage job, they don't make the rules and they don't deserve a hassle.

Yeah, pretty much this.  I worked a job where we were required to ask for zip codes and press the customers if necessary instead of taking no for an answer.

I made minimum wage.  If the bosses weren't around, I typed in my own zip code or a local one and continued on my way.  Wasn't like they had my back anyway.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 03:48:52 AM »
I usually just make something up. So do a lot of people. Goes to show how useful this information is to them for "tailoring and marketing to meet the needs of their customers" or whatever it is they purport to be doing.

I'm sick of this trend towards being asked for personal information in order to make a purchase. Can't I just buy something, like in the old days? I went into the Canadian Chain That Sells Tires (as well as housewares, hardware, sports equipment, barbeques, etc) because I was on the road with a 5 hour drive ahead of me and one of my tires was losing pressure faster than I was comfortable with. I just wanted someone to LOOK at it, while I waited. Before I could even talk to the person in the automotive section, I was asked for my name (fine) and email address. I asked why they needed my email address, and asked if I was going to get a load of junk mail. The answer, "Oh no, nothing like that, we just like to send out notices of our special promotions, stuff like that." Well I don't know how they define junk mail, but I define it as exactly that. So I said absolutely not. They were OK with that, though a little taken aback. It just irritated me to be asked a load of questions just to have someone check my tire. (Turned out to be a leaky valve or something).

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 04:17:00 AM »
I usually just make something up. So do a lot of people. Goes to show how useful this information is to them for "tailoring and marketing to meet the needs of their customers" or whatever it is they purport to be doing.

I'm sick of this trend towards being asked for personal information in order to make a purchase. Can't I just buy something, like in the old days? I went into the Canadian Chain That Sells Tires (as well as housewares, hardware, sports equipment, barbeques, etc) because I was on the road with a 5 hour drive ahead of me and one of my tires was losing pressure faster than I was comfortable with. I just wanted someone to LOOK at it, while I waited. Before I could even talk to the person in the automotive section, I was asked for my name (fine) and email address. I asked why they needed my email address, and asked if I was going to get a load of junk mail. The answer, "Oh no, nothing like that, we just like to send out notices of our special promotions, stuff like that." Well I don't know how they define junk mail, but I define it as exactly that. So I said absolutely not. They were OK with that, though a little taken aback. It just irritated me to be asked a load of questions just to have someone check my tire. (Turned out to be a leaky valve or something).

When we bought DH's car, buried in the rest of the paperwork we had to sign was a sheet saying we gave them permission to send us junk mail, junk email, telemarking phone calls, and permission to sell our info to other "related companies" who could sell us THEIR junk like extended warranties and the like.  I point-blank refused to sign it, which threw them in a quandary.  The sales guy had to consult with his boss but eventually I guess they decided they weren't going to refuse to sell a car based on junk mail, because they let us go on without it (and we never did receive junk mail from them).

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 05:17:58 AM »
My standard answer for these requests is "No thank you".  Said with a smile.  If anyone ever pushed it, I would walk away and leave my purchases behind. I would definately NOT give out my birth date.
exactly this.

I've been asked for my phone number and/or zip. I think it's extremely odd to be asked your birth date.

I absolutely think you are free to say "no" but honestly, I usually take the path of least resistance: I lie. Say you name is Marti McFly and your birthday is November 5, 1985 or you are Georgia O'Keefe born 9/1/91. The cashier is just doing what they were told at their low wage job, they don't make the rules and they don't deserve a hassle.
why? why should you? of course they don't deserve a hassle, but when corporations come up with nincompoop ideas, they should be alerted that the public doesn't like it and *will* take their business elsewhere if hassled.

Unless there is a valid reason for this (which i dont' think there is), there is no reason for the store to ask for someone's DOB. Let management understand that people will not be giving this out.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools