Author Topic: How to Refuse to give personal info  (Read 14252 times)

delabela

Re: How to Refuse to give personal info
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »
I just do the "no thank you" thing, and have never had any problem.  If I had come across the OP's situation, I just would have declined to purchase. 

menley

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 06:30:21 AM »
I'm most commonly asked for my billing zip code when paying with card; many credit card companies / stores use that as a level of verification on the card. For example, when pumping gas, if I decline to enter my zip code, the sale is refused.

For other situations, when I'm asked for a phone number or e-mail address, I just say "I'd rather not, thanks." with a smile. This usually works. There are a handful of times where the cashier presses ("Oh, but you could get such great discount coupons on our mailing list!") but these are generally the employees who have been trying to upsell me the entire time :) I just keep repeating, "I'd rather not, thank you." until they stop.

Miss March

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 07:21:42 AM »
I hate this practice! Yankee Candle always asks for my phone number at the register. The sales person always tries to convince me, saying "It's so we can send you coupons." But how would knowing my unlisted phone number help them mail me coupons? That never makes sense to me.

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

SleepyKitty

• Quid plura?
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »
Unless it's necessary to give info (buying restricted products, using a credit card, etc) I just smile and say, "I prefer to keep it private." I've had a few surprised clerks but no one has ever pushed me on the issue.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
name and birthdate?

Wow! That seems excessive. No, I wouldn't be happy with that. Especially not if I were using any form of electronic payment.

Your email, your phone, those have marketing uses I understand.

But I'm having a little trouble figuring out what they'd do w/ your birthdate or your name.

miranova

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 09:58:19 AM »
I do not ever give this information out when making a purchase.  I find it off-putting to be asked, and I also resent the fact that this slows each and every transaction down.  Even if there is a line of 20 people at 1 register, they will still ask every single customer and as a customer in line I resent that.  It is not necessary for the transaction, it's for marketing.  My transaction shouldn't be made slower by their future marketing.  So I don't participate.  I just say "I don't give that out". A couple of times I've gotten the "are you sure, we will send you coupons" line but anyone who wants coupons knows how to get them!  I get coupons already for any store where I will actually use them.  You can sign up for anyone's coupon list yourself on their website, at home, without buying anything or holding up a line.

Yesterday I got asked for my email address.....when I had just paid using a coupon that was sent to me over email.  I could not help but point out that they already had my email and that's how I got the coupon I just used.  She asked if I had ANOTHER email address I wanted to share.  Really, I think one "no" should suffice.  Don't hold up the line!

Aunt Reetz

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »
Lurker here......I just want to point out a less than honest cashier can use the information (generic) you provide to match with credit card number to either fraudulently make purchases with the card number OR set up new accounts in your name.  I'm not saying that's the case, but I've heard of it happening.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »
I hate this practice! Yankee Candle always asks for my phone number at the register. The sales person always tries to convince me, saying "It's so we can send you coupons." But how would knowing my unlisted phone number help them mail me coupons? That never makes sense to me.

There's some way they can use the phone number to find your address. By giving them one piece of information, your phone number, you are apparently giving them permission to seek out your address and use it to send junk mail. Some stores may then sell their mailing lists to other companies. Some stores have a tiny little sign at the checkout that explains why they want your info, but most do not.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »
I do not ever give this information out when making a purchase.  I find it off-putting to be asked, and I also resent the fact that this slows each and every transaction down.  Even if there is a line of 20 people at 1 register, they will still ask every single customer and as a customer in line I resent that.  It is not necessary for the transaction, it's for marketing.  My transaction shouldn't be made slower by their future marketing.  So I don't participate.  I just say "I don't give that out". A couple of times I've gotten the "are you sure, we will send you coupons" line but anyone who wants coupons knows how to get them!  I get coupons already for any store where I will actually use them.  You can sign up for anyone's coupon list yourself on their website, at home, without buying anything or holding up a line.

Yesterday I got asked for my email address.....when I had just paid using a coupon that was sent to me over email.  I could not help but point out that they already had my email and that's how I got the coupon I just used.  She asked if I had ANOTHER email address I wanted to share.  Really, I think one "no" should suffice.  Don't hold up the line!

It's even worse when they have a big push on to get people to sign up for their loyalty card or credit card. Not only do the cashiers have to ask every customer, usually three times, if they want the card, but then if someone does decide to get it, everything slows down while they fill out the forms.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

cheyne

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
This is one of the main reasons I use cash for all purchases (except my house).  I am at a store to buy something, I would like to remain anonymous, and I don't want your junk mail cluttering my mailbox (real or electronic).  I always say, "No thank you" and rarely get a hassle about it.  There are a couple of clothing chains that will push-but most clerks just say "OK" when I decline to answer.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Unless the product is alcohol or medication, the birthdate is about marketing.  If a company thinks its products appeal to people 18-24 I think it wants to know if the majority of purchasers are really 25-44.

I agree that this doesn't make it any less annoying.

If this annoys you enough, e-mail the corporate office and complain.  Nobody likes to lose business.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »
Birthdate does seem excessive, but there are some situations where they honestly do need at least your accurate name, phone number, and/or zip code. Mr. Bottlecaps works in auto parts and if you're buying a part that comes with a warranty, they'll ask for your information because they use it to look up the purchase in the event that they need to honor the warranty and exchange your part. Of course you do have the right to refuse to give your information, but make sure you don't lose that receipt. :) He told me that he always politely lets people know if they refuse to give the information that it's solely for their warranty purposes and just lets them know not to lose the receipt if they don't feel comfortable giving the information out.

I'm sure that wasn't the case here though, and it does seem odd that they'd ask for your information for a natural cleaning product.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Golden Phoenix

• Firebird
    • Matt's Menu
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »
I've been asked for my phone number, zip code, birthdate, etc. but I've never had anyone refuse to sell to me when I've declined. Is it possible she thought you weren't legally old enough to buy it (maybe it's restricted due to one of the ingredients)?

I'm 51 - there is no way I could pass for 18-21 which would be the legal cut off for anything age restricted. So I doubt it.

Some POS systems are set up in such a way that they lock out to a pop-up screen and the only way they let the sale proceed is for a valid birth date to be entered (worked with one myself, hated it) without  the info the poor cashier may not have had any way of continuing the sale as there is no bypass only "cancel transaction". One of those annoying corporate decisions.

reflection5

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »
I went into a drugstore and purchased a few items, and used my debit card.  The cashier asked if I wanted to update my email address.  I was puzzled because I couldn’t recall ever giving an email address to them and I hadn’t ordered from them online.  I asked “Update?  What’s the email address you have?”  He said “Oh, I don’t know.  It’s just that we often like to be able to contact our valued customers.”  There were several people behind me in line, so to move things along I just said “No, thanks”. 

snowdragon

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »
I've been asked for my phone number, zip code, birthdate, etc. but I've never had anyone refuse to sell to me when I've declined. Is it possible she thought you weren't legally old enough to buy it (maybe it's restricted due to one of the ingredients)?

I'm 51 - there is no way I could pass for 18-21 which would be the legal cut off for anything age restricted. So I doubt it.

Some POS systems are set up in such a way that they lock out to a pop-up screen and the only way they let the sale proceed is for a valid birth date to be entered (worked with one myself, hated it) without  the info the poor cashier may not have had any way of continuing the sale as there is no bypass only "cancel transaction". One of those annoying corporate decisions.

I absolutely think you are free to say "no" but honestly, I usually take the path of least resistance: I lie. Say you name is Marti McFly and your birthday is November 5, 1985 or you are Georgia O'Keefe born 9/1/91. The cashier is just doing what they were told at their low wage job, they don't make the rules and they don't deserve a hassle.

Then she can deal with the cancellation. She may not make the rules, and might just bed doing her job...but I don't make the rules either, and I don't get paid to comply and I don't deserve the hassle, either.   And I guarantee you, that the months of marketing junk crap  or the years to get my identity back -if that cashier is less than honest, is a LOT more hassle than the cashier will have with just cancelling out the order -- even if she has to call a manager. I am not rude about it,  Usually a simple "I don't give that out." and if pressed "No, I don't give that out." this cashier was obviously stunned, tho'.  And by stunned I mean that in very clipped syllables she told me no one ever refused before and repeated "Bir.th. date."  At which point, I told her I would just leave with out it then.

I emailed corporate about the incident and asked why they are asking this since I have never had it asked before, even at this store.   I have not gotten a reply