Author Topic: How to Refuse to give personal info  (Read 13084 times)

mmswm

Re: How to Refuse to give personal info
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
Birthdate does seem excessive, but there are some situations where they honestly do need at least your accurate name, phone number, and/or zip code. Mr. Bottlecaps works in auto parts and if you're buying a part that comes with a warranty, they'll ask for your information because they use it to look up the purchase in the event that they need to honor the warranty and exchange your part. Of course you do have the right to refuse to give your information, but make sure you don't lose that receipt. :) He told me that he always politely lets people know if they refuse to give the information that it's solely for their warranty purposes and just lets them know not to lose the receipt if they don't feel comfortable giving the information out.

I'm sure that wasn't the case here though, and it does seem odd that they'd ask for your information for a natural cleaning product.

This still wouldn't be an exception.  There are other ways to look me up as a customer.  I'm okay with providing my name, and honestly, even though it's an extremely common name (both first and last names), I've never had a problem with stores finding me that way.  In one notable case, I'd needed tire service in Minnesota and my tires had been purchased in Florida.  The shop in Minnesota was perfectly able to find my records even though by that time I'd changed the state my car was tagged in.  Granted, he was about to give up and go get the VIN number off my car, but he was able to find me without it.

I worked for a bank for a long time and it's surprising how little bits of information can be used to commit things like account take over fraud and identity fraud.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

mich3554

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
I can only imagine that "Nature's Miracle" contains something that, if you had thousands of gallons of it, you might use to make a bomb. I still wouldn't give out my BIRTHDATE to buy some, however!!!

Those who object to giving out their zip, may I ask why? (aside from the annoyance factor). I'm hyper-touchy about giving out personal info, but I don't mind giving out my zip because it isn't really connect-able to me, personally, and it is one of the more legitimate marketing tools.

This topic is quite timely.  I heard a few reports this past week about why NOT to give your zip code:

http://www.today.com/video/today/51255563#51255563

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!  I never thought about the junk mail and telemarker angle!

No more zip codes from me.

I was told that businesses use zip codes to determine where they need to open new locations.  Since I need to travel to a few stores, I would live it if one opened up closer to me.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
Is it possible she thought you weren't legally old enough to buy it (maybe it's restricted due to one of the ingredients)?

If it was for that reason, wouldn't she have asked for an ID, rather than just a recitation of name and birth date, which can be fabricated on the spot?  More likely it's a store policy for marketing or other reasons.  Just says "I'm sorry, I don't give that information out."

Around here, it's cigarettes, alcohol, the "good" sinus/allergy meds, and some types of drain cleaner that get you carded, and just reciting the birth date would not fly.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »
I never realized that giving out my zipcode would be an issue, so I would give that out, when asked.  I'll stop doing that now.  But I do generally refuse to give out my phone number, and I've never had them question me further.  They just ask something like, "And your phone number?" or "May we have your phone number for our mailing list?"  I just say, "I'd rather not give it," and they usually just say "Okay!" and proceed with the transaction.  I always figured that zipcode was generic enough that it didn't matter, but I didn't think about the fact that I'd also given them my credit card.  Although with my name, I doubt they'd need my zipcode in order to look me up by name and add me to their mailing list if they wanted to.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »
Is it possible she thought you weren't legally old enough to buy it (maybe it's restricted due to one of the ingredients)?

If it was for that reason, wouldn't she have asked for an ID, rather than just a recitation of name and birth date, which can be fabricated on the spot?  More likely it's a store policy for marketing or other reasons.  Just says "I'm sorry, I don't give that information out."

Around here, it's cigarettes, alcohol, the "good" sinus/allergy meds, and some types of drain cleaner that get you carded, and just reciting the birth date would not fly.

Good point. I should have thought of that.  :P

Jones

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »
I just give the zip code where the store is located...never really thought about it.

The only times I've been asked for a name/phone number, it was to sign up for a store discount/mailing list. If it's a store I want to hear from, I sign up; if it isn't, I say "No thank you," and they move on with the purchase. Never had an issue.

PeterM

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2013, 01:44:07 PM »
I have to admit I'm surprised by all the people who respond "No, thank you" and possibly smile while doing it. If a cashier asks me for information I'm not willing to give I just say "No" in a neutral tone. I don't think that's rude, and I personally don't like the idea of thanking someone for pressing me for personal information. They're not offering me something I should be grateful for, they're asking for information I don't want to give them.

It depends on their wording, of course. If they phrase it as "Would you like to sign up for our email coupons" or some such, I'll say "No, thank you," because they're offering an actual service that I do not wish to avail myself of. If it's "Can I have your phone number?" though, I just say no.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2013, 01:46:28 PM »
I have to admit I'm surprised by all the people who respond "No, thank you" and possibly smile while doing it. If a cashier asks me for information I'm not willing to give I just say "No" in a neutral tone. I don't think that's rude, and I personally don't like the idea of thanking someone for pressing me for personal information. They're not offering me something I should be grateful for, they're asking for information I don't want to give them.

It depends on their wording, of course. If they phrase it as "Would you like to sign up for our email coupons" or some such, I'll say "No, thank you," because they're offering an actual service that I do not wish to avail myself of. If it's "Can I have your phone number?" though, I just say no.

Same here.  They are not offering me anything, trying to do me a favor, etc.  They want something from me that I am unwilling to give. I don't snarl but I don't add "thank you" either.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
I've found that "no. thank you" messes up their script. If I just say no, they usually have a prepared, autopilot counter. But that little extra throws them off.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
I think saying "no thank you" is just an automatic thing.  I may also say "I'd rather not" or "I don't give that out" but just saying no seems too abrupt to me.  YMMV.

Carotte

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
The last time I was asked to give my DOB was for a charity (that I have been giving to for a couple or years). I might have asked why, but I know I only gave my year of birth.
One place asks me for my phone number everytime I buy a concert/show ticket, it's to send a text in case the show is canceled, and since they ask everytime I'm pretty sure they don't keep the number on record (I use a 'VIP' card with my name on it, my family has been affiliated with the program for 15+ years (that's why we have the VIP one)).
When I don't want to give my real zip code they get the one from the city next door.

I can see the pro of always declining, personal principle and maybe if enough people bypass that they'll stop asking, but sometimes it's less hassle to just come up with something else.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »

I absolutely think you are free to say "no" but honestly, I usually take the path of least resistance: I lie. Say you name is Marti McFly and your birthday is November 5, 1985 or you are Georgia O'Keefe born 9/1/91. The cashier is just doing what they were told at their low wage job, they don't make the rules and they don't deserve a hassle.
why? why should you? of course they don't deserve a hassle, but when corporations come up with nincompoop ideas, they should be alerted that the public doesn't like it and *will* take their business elsewhere if hassled.

Unless there is a valid reason for this (which i dont' think there is), there is no reason for the store to ask for someone's DOB. Let management understand that people will not be giving this out.

Ok well first off I never actually have been asked for my DOB except for items that required ID.
But for me, its just what I said "the path of least resistance." Saying "no" or asking "why" just hold everyone up as hey have answers for that. I'm pretty sure The companies will start to notice if they are getting a bunch of bogus info just as much as if I make a stink so the same message is sent if I have some fun with it or if I resist.

As for going somewhere else - for me the only time I'm ever asked for info is as I'm checking out, not as I'm walking in. I don't want to waste my time going to another store and re-shopping, I already shopped. And I might end up getting asked for info at the next store anyway.

fountainof

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »
I say "no Thank you" or for my email I say "oh thanks, but you have it on file already, I get the promo emails already" which they usually do as I don't want to say it outloud.  I do get junk mail from a lot of stores I frequent but I do like it as I watch for sales.

I am polite because I know the cashier didn't make the policy so I try to be sympathetic.  I worked at a theatre as a teen and had to try and upsize purchases so I can relate.

Poppea

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »
Zip codes, I give - they can't track anything personal withit and are likely just tracking where they may need a new location.

For all of the others I just say, "no thanks" with a smile.  I've never had anyone push beyond that or refuse to make the sale.

I go to Tractor Supply quite a bit and I've never had anyone ask for my DOB. That would set off red flags for me.

I used to think that too, but if they have your credit card info and zip code marketeers will be able to track you.  I no longer give out my zip code.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
Actually,when I say "no" they generally blink and say "Ok" and proceed on without it.  There isn't a  lot of time wasted on debate or trying to persuade me.  Maybe it is abrubt but I think in this case an abrubt end to that line of questioning is waht you want.  I don't know that it is unkind to the cashuer because if you aren't going to give it to them it seems better not to waste your time or theirs.  Giving them fake info just seems like a waste of effort on the part of everyone involved.