Author Topic: How to Refuse to give personal info  (Read 13265 times)

mmswm

Re: How to Refuse to give personal info
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2013, 02:53:45 PM »
I have run across one store that won't let the cashier override the system's request for a phone number.  I realize it's probably horrible of me to have done so, but I gave them one of the local area codes plus 867-5309.  It turned out well, because even though the cashier couldn't have been more than 18, he broke into this huge grin and said "Jenny!  I've finally found you!"
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
^ Yup I've given that number too  :D

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »

Then she can deal with the cancellation. She may not make the rules, and might just bed doing her job...but I don't make the rules either, and I don't get paid to comply and I don't deserve the hassle, either.   And I guarantee you, that the months of marketing junk crap  or the years to get my identity back -if that cashier is less than honest, is a LOT more hassle than the cashier will have with just cancelling out the order -- even if she has to call a manager. I am not rude about it,  Usually a simple "I don't give that out." and if pressed "No, I don't give that out." this cashier was obviously stunned, tho'.  And by stunned I mean that in very clipped syllables she told me no one ever refused before and repeated "Bir.th. date."  At which point, I told her I would just leave with out it then.

I emailed corporate about the incident and asked why they are asking this since I have never had it asked before, even at this store.   I have not gotten a reply

Boy, that was condescending of her.  She would have gotten an arched, "Excuse me?" and a hairy eyeball from me.

I don't like this; as others have pointed out, all of that information can be helpful when committing fraud. 

snowdragon

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »
Just in case this was anything but store policy, I called and checked with 5 other pet/farm supply stores in the are (Petco, Agway,ect) none of them have this requirement. Everyone I spoke to was genuinely shocked at this. So it seems to be a store policy.
  MY policy will be to avoid this store when at all possible - and when I can't I will tell the cashier either she can input a fake one or use one from something the store has - it needs a date, any date, my information is not going to be that date.

SiotehCat

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »
Just in case this was anything but store policy, I called and checked with 5 other pet/farm supply stores in the are (Petco, Agway,ect) none of them have this requirement. Everyone I spoke to was genuinely shocked at this. So it seems to be a store policy.
  MY policy will be to avoid this store when at all possible - and when I can't I will tell the cashier either she can input a fake one or use one from something the store has - it needs a date, any date, my information is not going to be that date.

Now that you are aware of the store policy, I think that if you do not want to comply, you should not shop there.

snowdragon

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »

Now that you are aware of the store policy, I think that if you do not want to comply, you should not shop there.

There is a pet food that my brother's dog needs ( it is the only one that she does not react badly to  that they have found) I am the one that drives SIL to get it since they do not have a car.  Can't avoid the place entirely.  Wish I could .   This is a new policy for them -as when we bought dog food and other things there last weekend we were not asked for any info.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
I go back and forth between giving out false information, and just saying no. 
I used to give out a fake phone number, and would check periodically  that it was still unused.  But, I stopped that a long time ago. 
The pro to giving out false information is that I throw bad data into their database.  But, it is very easy to filter out the bad information.  The con is that I make it seem like it is a reasonable request. 

SiotehCat

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

There is a pet food that my brother's dog needs ( it is the only one that she does not react badly to  that they have found) I am the one that drives SIL to get it since they do not have a car.  Can't avoid the place entirely.  Wish I could .   This is a new policy for them -as when we bought dog food and other things there last weekend we were not asked for any info.

That isn't the stores problem though. They have a policy(now) and you know about it now. So you can make the choice whether to shop there and comply with policy or not.

snowdragon

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »

That isn't the stores problem though. They have a policy(now) and you know about it now. So you can make the choice whether to shop there and comply with policy or not.

Or I can shop there and make sure they know I will not give them any info, if they get enough refusals - they can also change the policy back to not asking or they can make a default one that they can use in the case of refusals

SiotehCat

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »

Or I can shop there and make sure they know I will not give them any info, if they get enough refusals - they can also change the policy back to not asking

And that is fine.

I think that shopping somewhere, knowing their store policy and refusing to comply with it is rude.

snowdragon

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2013, 06:28:35 PM »

Or I can shop there and make sure they know I will not give them any info, if they get enough refusals - they can also change the policy back to not asking

And that is fine.

I think that shopping somewhere, knowing their store policy and refusing to comply with it is rude.

And I think that asking for very personal info, for nothing other than a marketing scheme is rude - and dangerous.   

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »

And that is fine.

It's their policy to ask for the information.  If they go ahead and sell the merchandise to the customer who refuses to give it, then it isn't actually their policy that the information is required.  If it is required, they would refuse to sell the merchandise.  Just because they are required to ask for it, it doesn't mean customers are required to give it.

SiotehCat

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »

And that is fine.

It's their policy to ask for the information.  If they go ahead and sell the merchandise to the customer who refuses to give it, then it isn't actually their policy that the information is required.  If it is required, they would refuse to sell the merchandise.

Then why wouldn't a simple "no" suffice?

Why tell the cashier that they need to put fake information in the system?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2013, 06:37:34 PM »
Did you confirm that it is store policy?  Is it possible that the cashier misunderstood or decided to take a hard line on her own?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »

And that is fine.

It's their policy to ask for the information.  If they go ahead and sell the merchandise to the customer who refuses to give it, then it isn't actually their policy that the information is required.  If it is required, they would refuse to sell the merchandise.

Then why wouldn't a simple "no" suffice?

Why tell the cashier that they need to put fake information in the system?

I don't know.  I wouldn't bother with that.