Author Topic: Keep or Sell?  (Read 3270 times)

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
Keep or Sell?
« on: March 24, 2013, 12:45:05 AM »
I am right now selling off the excess goats (three intact boys and a two year old breeding female) and have a dilema.

I know a woman down the street named "Patsy" and her DD, "Daisy".  Patsy has said she wants to buy one of my goats, she tells me she will be moving out in May and will be renting/owning land in another part of the state. Problem is, I don't believe her.

Patsy appears to be a pathological liar with financial issues.

Here are some of her stories:
1. I tell her about my goats = She bottle fed a baby with a deformed jaw.
2. She see's my horse = Her nanny got kicked in the head by a horse when they brought it into the house during a storm.
3. I tell her one of my dogs is part pit = She bred champion pits.
4. I tell her about fossils in the area = She found a super rare one on some guys land.

Patsy also has a problem with finances (she had a hot check issue and problems paying rent/utilities). She is getting the money from a settlement that I'm not even sure exists.

Other then the above she is a nice person and a good mother to her teenage DD with autism. DD is attached to said goat. They love and take care of their dogs and cats, plus I have watched her interact with the goat.

I am not in any rush to sell the goat, I can keep her indefinably. What would be the best way to word "Is this really going to happen?"
Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Keep or Sell?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »
I would just avoid the conversation with her, or say "I'll bear you in mind but I am not in any rush to sell the goat." And then when an appropriate buyer comes into your life, just sell the goat. If she asks why you sold to someone else just say "I know you were interested but after weighing all the factors, this was a better for Goat."

snowdragon

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:55:05 AM »
I would keep the goat.  If I can't trust you to tell the truth, I can't trust you with my animal.  ( really a horse and a goat in a house?????)

kudeebee

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »
Tell her that you the goats are for sale and that you can't promise that there will be one left in May.  If there is and she has the money, you can talk then.

katycoo

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:05:46 AM »
Tell her:
1. you cannot hold the goats on reserve;
2. you feel obligated to inspect their prospective homes to ensure they're going to a suitable location; and
3. if one is still available when she moves, and her property is suitable, you'd be more than happy to sell her one.

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
I would just avoid the conversation with her, or say "I'll bear you in mind but I am not in any rush to sell the goat." And then when an appropriate buyer comes into your life, just sell the goat. If she asks why you sold to someone else just say "I know you were interested but after weighing all the factors, this was a better for Goat."

I wish it was that easy. From her house she can see my pasture from her kitchen window. The daughter comes over before and after school to say "hi" to the goat. The goat is really helping the DD. The DD was super shy before she met the goat, then after a few sessions of petting/talking she was able to say more then two words together at a time to someone.

She  would make a great home for the goat if the money is real. She has sacrificed alot for her existing animals and those belonging to other people. She once helped a neighbor who couldn't afford a car, take her dog to the vet to get spayed.

The goat in question is of a breed and size that is often used in Mexican dishes. That is the reason I am in no hurry to sell. My other goats are smaller and are "pet" breeds. Selling her in the normal way results in tons of replies in both English and Spanish wanting her for food, even those ads with the words "Not For Eating, Pet Only" multiple times in two languages. The goats sister when to a woman who has two kids with special needs and she witnessed the goat and DD interacting and said it was a good fit.

I'm thinking of just keeping the goat if the woman doesn't take her.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »
I wouldn't sell the goat to a stranger, out of fear she'd end up dinner.

I'd keep the goat and let the girl interact with it on my property for as long as possible. If the woman actually moves I'd be very honest with her and say "Patsy, we'd both like to keep Goat and DD together, but I have to consider your ability to care for Goat financially. Ordinarily that'd be none of my business but this is my animal and I need to do right by her. How can you be sure you'll be able to buy good quality feed? What if she needs a vet?" If she mentions the pending settlement you could say "Why don't I keep Goat for now. When your settlement comes through you call me and we'll work it out." You could offer that she's welcome to bring DD to visit the goat if you're comfortable with that.

AnnaJ

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
A friend of mine gave away a dog a few years ago - problems at the time made it the best solution - and insisted on meeting the whole family and seeing the house; she was good with it but made them promise that if ever they couldn't keep the dog they would let her know and she would take the dog back.  Two years later she got that call, and was in a better situation so could take Butter back.

If you don't mind keeping the goat, it does sound wonderful for the daughter.  If mom does get a place, maybe you could put the same conditions my friend did on the deal - if she can't take care of the goat, bring it back to you.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:42:11 AM »
I would keep the goat.  If I can't trust you to tell the truth, I can't trust you with my animal.  ( really a horse and a goat in a house?????)

Maybe she's been watching Two Broke Girls.  :)

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »
A friend of mine gave away a dog a few years ago - problems at the time made it the best solution - and insisted on meeting the whole family and seeing the house; she was good with it but made them promise that if ever they couldn't keep the dog they would let her know and she would take the dog back.  Two years later she got that call, and was in a better situation so could take Butter back.

If you don't mind keeping the goat, it does sound wonderful for the daughter.  If mom does get a place, maybe you could put the same conditions my friend did on the deal - if she can't take care of the goat, bring it back to you.

I will probably do that.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »

I will probably do that.
You say she is moving in May, so how can you do this?  Unless you travel to another state or area where she is living you won't be able to do so.
My feeling is this:
While I understand and appreciate your feelings for her child, you have a responsibility and obligation to place the goat in a safe and good home.  In fact, when I first started reading your original post I thought you did not want her to have the goat since you don't really trust her, and were looking for advise about how to let her down easy. 
Maybe you can put her in touch with people who sell goats where she is going to live and they can do the inspecting and so forth to make sure their goat is going to a good home.

I also have to ask...are we really talking about a goat, here, or is that a code name for something else?  That happens so often on here that I'm kind of worried that I'm talking about goats, or some other substitute thing, and everyone else knows it's really a blue 1973 Toyota with a Merle Haggard neckerchief in the glove compartment.    ;)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »

I also have to ask...are we really talking about a goat, here, or is that a code name for something else?  That happens so often on here that I'm kind of worried that I'm talking about goats, or some other substitute thing, and everyone else knows it's really a blue 1973 Toyota with a Merle Haggard neckerchief in the glove compartment.    ;)

If it is, that would be a tough stew.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 05:30:21 PM »

I will probably do that.

If this is what you choose to do (and every responsible dog bre*der I know has attached this condition to every sale of every animal ever) get it in writing. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »

If it is, that would be a tough stew.

It's a goat. More specifically a Miniature Silky Fainting X Nigerian Dwarf goat.

Her name is Artemis "Ari" and she is two years old.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 08:27:55 PM »
Since she is an intact female, you could put forth to Patsy that you are holding out hope of selling Ari to another Breed3r.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas