Author Topic: Keep or Sell?  (Read 3207 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Re: Keep or Sell?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 10:14:19 PM »
I would not sell her to this lady. She does not seem like she would be responsible enough to take care of your goat. Just reading your post set off bells and whistles against selling any of them to her.

Just tell her selling to her won't be possible at this time.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 10:45:21 PM »

I also have to ask...are we really talking about a goat, here, or is that a code name for something else?  That happens so often on here that I'm kind of worried that I'm talking about goats, or some other substitute thing, and everyone else knows it's really a blue 1973 Toyota with a Merle Haggard neckerchief in the glove compartment.    ;)

If it is, that would be a tough stew.
On, dear.   :'(
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 10:47:54 PM »

I also have to ask...are we really talking about a goat, here, or is that a code name for something else?  That happens so often on here that I'm kind of worried that I'm talking about goats, or some other substitute thing, and everyone else knows it's really a blue 1973 Toyota with a Merle Haggard neckerchief in the glove compartment.    ;)

If it is, that would be a tough stew.

It's a goat. More specifically a Miniature Silky Fainting X Nigerian Dwarf goat.

Her name is Artemis "Ari" and she is two years old.

She's beautiful!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 10:29:54 AM »
I think you have to be okay with the idea that an animal you let go might not be used for the purposes you want. I know how hard that is, so I think you need to decide if you are okay with that before you give or sell this goat to anyone.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »
She's pretty!

I would not be selling to Patsy, since you don't know what condition the place she's moving to is in.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Calistoga

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »
Alright. So I have to say upfront...I have no idea how much a goat sells for these days.

But since you say they are good pet owners to the other pets they have, and her DD does so well with the goat, would it be possible to make the goat a house warming gift if they ever do actually move? Look over the place she's living of course to make sure it's a good home.

SPuck

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
If your gut feeling say don't sell the goat, then don't sell the goat. AnnaJ's story might have had a happy ending, and even if you get her to sign some kind of contract, once the goat is out of your possession it is out of your possession. Wouldn't you rather send the goat to somewhere you have a good feeling about?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:33:17 PM by SPuck »

BeagleMommy

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »
I would ask Patsy some very specific questions before selling the goat to her.

1.  Does she know how much it costs to feed the goat?
2.  Does her new property have enough land to support the goat?
3.  Will her landlord let her have the goat?  Some will allow cats, dogs, birds, etc. but livestock is a different story.
4.  Can she give you cash, up front, for the goat?  With her financial history this is what I would require.

There are probably more questions, but this is all I could think of right now.

DavidH

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
If they love and take care of their other animals and her daughter is attached to the goat, then it doesn't sound like she would be the type to abuse or sell this goat to someone using it for a meal. 

From what I read, it sounds to me like your concern is will she really ever buy the goat and is she really moving to a new place where she can keep it.  Since you're not in a hurry to sell it and being around the goat seems to be very helpful to her daughter, why not keep the goat for now and tell her that once she moves and is settled in to her new place, you'll sell her the goat.  Until then, you'll keep it and let her know if anything changes and you decide to sell it to someone else. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
I wouldn't sell the goat to a stranger, out of fear she'd end up dinner.

I'd keep the goat and let the girl interact with it on my property for as long as possible. If the woman actually moves I'd be very honest with her and say "Patsy, we'd both like to keep Goat and DD together, but I have to consider your ability to care for Goat financially. Ordinarily that'd be none of my business but this is my animal and I need to do right by her. How can you be sure you'll be able to buy good quality feed? What if she needs a vet?" If she mentions the pending settlement you could say "Why don't I keep Goat for now. When your settlement comes through you call me and we'll work it out." You could offer that she's welcome to bring DD to visit the goat if you're comfortable with that.

I just adopted a cat. I had to fill out forms, provide work and personal references, and agree to a home visit. Two of them, actually.

I think this is perfectly reasonable for you to demand.

It's also reasonable to think that it's not your responsibility to sacrifice the goat's well-being for the child's. Another, different animal might *also* help the daughter maintain the momentum that has been established so far.

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
I would ask Patsy some very specific questions before selling the goat to her.

1.  Does she know how much it costs to feed the goat?
2.  Does her new property have enough land to support the goat?
3.  Will her landlord let her have the goat?  Some will allow cats, dogs, birds, etc. but livestock is a different story.
4.  Can she give you cash, up front, for the goat?  With her financial history this is what I would require.

There are probably more questions, but this is all I could think of right now.

1. She does. One 50lb bag is $9 and would last a month. Hay is anywhere between $7-$11, she doesn't need horse quality, goats are good with straw and pasture. Trace mineral and salt are $5.
2. Several goats can live on 2 acres, so that shouldn't be a problem.
3.Usually if your renting several acres, livestock is ok.
4. I only take cash, she knows this.

Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel