Author Topic: S/O Elevator Oddness – People who Hold Up the Elevator  (Read 1634 times)

reflection5

S/O Elevator Oddness – People who Hold Up the Elevator
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:37:24 PM »
You’re in an elevator, someone getting in is engaged in conversation with someone standing outside the elevator, and they keep talking (sometimes actually having a mini-meeting).  The door tries to close, and they push it back, several times.  They are holding others up.  Rude?  I think so.  The person inside the elevator should step off and catch the next one.

How have you handled this?

Look at watch (if you’re wearing one)?
Sigh loudly?
Say something?

I’ve only seen one instance where someone said “Excuse me, I need to get going.” 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: S/O Elevator Oddness – People who Hold Up the Elevator
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
That's the appropriate response, and the reason you don't hear it often is because somehow we've ll been trained to be passive aggressive wimps.

We decide the other person is rude, and somehow that they should realize it themselves.

Instead, we should all speak up right away and make our requests in civil tones before we get pissed off.

reflection5

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:58:16 PM »
somehow we've ll been trained to be passive aggressive wimps.

I agree, and that's unfortunate.

Then later people caught up in this will bluster about it with co-workers or in the car on the way home.

Even worse:
Two people get into the elevator, one says “Hold the elevator, Sandy is coming.”  And they smile at the other people standing, waiting, trying to get to another floor.  They push back the elevator door and make everyone wait.  But Sandy is actually finishing up a call, and she still has to grab her coat and purse.

When I'm the victim of these elevator kidnappers, I fantasize about physically removing people from the elevator entrance.  But, that would be impolite. :-\

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:07:40 PM »
I might let the person outside know we can make room for them if they want to ride up and finish their conversation.

magician5

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
I've never found that anyone stalls very long after the usual "let the door close and get on with it" buzzer starts sounding.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Reika

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »
I usually say something pretty quickly, since these people tend to strike on my very short 15 minute break. And it's usually along the lines of, "Can you either come in the elevator or let us get on our way?"

I'm afraid I do sound a little impatient, because I am and have no tolerance for garbage like this, but I also make sure to sound polite.

And the ones who are trying to hold the elevator for someone who isn't there? Gets something similar.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 10:32:16 PM »
It's definitely rude. A few seconds' grace to wind up the convo is fine, but repeatedly preventing the door from closing (and the elevator from leaving) is rude and entitled.

I'd tell the person "Perhaps you should get the next one."